The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

Commissioner can't overturn it, but this would be YET ANOTHER great chance to put in a video review rule or something that can prevent this type of tragedy from ever happening again. If he doesn't do anything with this, the public should really put the heat on him.

That would be best but the problem is that there a bunch of old farts who think of baseball as a very traditional game and will raise a fuss over any rule changes. There are a lot of people who would want it(like me) but the traditionalists ruin it. I think that the best solution would be a single challenge for each manager.

Wow, I'm shocked, I watched a video of this 2 times, just stunned.

I feel so bad for the pitcher, it's not everyday this happens. But you have to feel for the umpire too, he doesn't have instant replay like everyone else, and it wasn't in slow motion, every umpire/ref makes a bad call because the game is going so fast at times.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I do watch the occasional game, and I watch the highlights for each game, I might be following baseball a little closer this summer. :P

Sorry for any noobish things I say haha

Commissioner can't overturn it, but this would be YET ANOTHER great chance to put in a video review rule or something that can prevent this type of tragedy from ever happening again. If he doesn't do anything with this, the public should really put the heat on him.

The amount of class and grace being shown by both sides after this is almost surreal. It definitely should be a lesson to others.

It seems to me like the best solution would be like what they have in football, a challenge flag type of thing allowed once per game. There wouldn't have to be a "flag" per se, perhaps the manager needs to go and ask the umpire to use his challenge review, and they'll have a replay official, maybe the guy who looks at controversial homers, to watch the video. Unlike in football or hockey, most plays in baseball are pretty obvious right away (such as fair/foul, out/safe, catch/trap) that it wouldn't delay the game that much. You'd also have the chance to avoid big tantrums from the managers on the field, which would've taken away from Bobby Cox's legacy but in all be a good thing.

Archived