#62 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

Signing:
Former Astros' 3B Morgan Ensberg signs with the Yankees (minor league deal).

Likely to play some first base, as Jason Giambi probably won't be able to manage many games in the field, and the Yankees really don't have too many other good options there, while the other three infield starters are basically set in stone. Ensberg has fallen pretty far from being an All Star a couple of years ago, but maybe he can help the Yankees, particularly as he is a right handed power bat when healthy, while the Yankees lineup after Jeter and ARod is almost all lefties (Posada being a switch hitter, though he's gotten to be pretty even from both sides).
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#63 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:24 PM

kerry sp? woods of the cubs sorry bout that

i hope chachin can return to form

Actually, you spelt his first name right, but his last name is Wood. It's all good. Don't think you can compare the two from a pitching style standpoint, as Kerry Wood is a fireballer and like all power guys, has suffered because of it. Litsch doesn't really have much heat, and so should project to be fairly durable.

Your sig kind of creeps me out by the way.
Posted Image

#64 yeti003

yeti003

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

i understand that wood (thanks my bad) is/was a fireballer but i was watching an interview on Fox the otherday and he was interviewed for about a minute and a half (ill see if i can find it) he states that his power is really picking up which is the reason im concerned

sidenote it was part of the clip that had clemens in it

#65 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,191 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:42 PM

Go Indians! Their time will come!

Posted Image

Credits to Vintage Canuck @ 2014

Regular Season

Posted ImageCDCGML St.Louis Blues RosterPosted Image

#66 redsox44

redsox44

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Go Redsox and Mariners

#67 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

i understand that wood (thanks my bad) is/was a fireballer but i was watching an interview on Fox the otherday and he was interviewed for about a minute and a half (ill see if i can find it) he states that his power is really picking up which is the reason im concerned

sidenote it was part of the clip that had clemens in it

I didn't catch that interview. I assume you're saying that Litsch is starting to throw harder. Hopefully he doesn't push it too far. The expectations of him are certainly much less than they were of Wood when he broke in though, so maybe that'll make some difference in how much he forces himself. Hopefully the Jays can count on 200 innings from Halladay, Burnett and optimistically McGowan this year, which would allow Gibbons to be quick with the hook on Litsch or Chacin if needed.

Go Indians! Their time will come!

Their time was last year, in my opinion. I have to think that the Red Sox and Yankees will both make the playoffs this year, meaning that the Indians would have to beat out the Tigers for a the AL Central to make the playoffs. Then consider the Tigers' rotation and probable lineup:

1. Verlander
2. Bonderman
3. Willis
4. Rogers
5. Robertson

CF Granderson
2B Polanco
3B Cabrera
RF Ordonez
DH Sheffield
1B Guillen
C Pudge
SS Renteria
LF J Jones

That's a team that will win a lot of games. The Indians are going to be counting a lot on Paul Byrd and Jake Westbrook to take some of the pressure off of Sabathia and Carmona (who'll be hard pressed to repeat last year's performances), and they'll need a rebound year from Hafner, as well as a fast maturation process for youngsters like Asdrubal Cabrera. Too many ifs in my opinion.
Posted Image

#68 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

Two signings:

3B Casey Blake re-ups with the Indians (for 1 year).

Obviously Cleveland doesn't feel Marte is quite ready to be an everyday guy at third, otherwise they wouldn't be paying Blake 6+ million at that position. Blake is a seasoned and versatile veteran, but Marte is the future there in Cleveland, though he had some injury troubles last year.

1B Sean Casey signs with the Red Sox

The nicest guy in baseball is going to mostly be a bench player, being that he shares a position with Free Pass Youkilis (not to mention David Ortiz in selected interleague games). When the Tigers moved Carlos Guillen to first base to make room for Edgar Renteria, the writing was on the wall for Casey. Still, he reportedly is impossible not to like, so he'll probably get along just fine with the Red Sox.
Posted Image

#69 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

No love for Josh Beckett eh?

Zambrano is certainly an ace pitcher (and very possibly the best hitting pitcher in the league, though there's one guy on Arizona who's pretty good too, and Dontrelle Willis, whose hitting skills will be largely wasted in Detroit). I just find him to be a bit too confrontational. He did apologize and say all the right things after that scuffle with Michael Barrett last year, and I thought the media did their best to generate news out of that after both of them resolved their issues like adults. However, I also see him as being a little selfish.

I always enjoy watching the development of young pitchers from season to season. Last year guys like Hamels, Verlander, Fausto Carmona, Tom Gorzelanny and even Felix all took giant steps forward. I'm really interested to see how young pitching prospects, like Joba Chamberlain, Homer Bailey, Phil Hughes and Tim Lincecum will do this season. I definitely would've been keen to see Lincecum come to the Jays (allegedly it was a deal involving Alex Rios). I don't catch too many Cubs games, but I'm wondering what the Northsiders think of the prospects for Rich Hill, whether he can be the number 2 guy in Chicago?

Rich Hill definitely has the upside to be a number 2 and even a number one. He is similar to Zambrano in that he can mentally collapse and just start throwing hanging curveballs. They key with Hill is limiting home runs. He has shown the ability to absolutely dominate in AAA and at times in the MLB. One of the things I'm most looking forward to next season is seeing if he can take the next step.

I really worry for Homer Bailey, just because Dusty is the new manager of the Reds. After seeing how he completely decimated Prior and Wood, it makes me feel sorry for Reds fans.

Tim Lincecum is a guy that I love to watch pitch, I was hoping that he would fall to the Cubs but they were a couple picks too late.
Posted Image

#70 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

Rich Hill definitely has the upside to be a number 2 and even a number one. He is similar to Zambrano in that he can mentally collapse and just start throwing hanging curveballs. They key with Hill is limiting home runs. He has shown the ability to absolutely dominate in AAA and at times in the MLB. One of the things I'm most looking forward to next season is seeing if he can take the next step.

I really worry for Homer Bailey, just because Dusty is the new manager of the Reds. After seeing how he completely decimated Prior and Wood, it makes me feel sorry for Reds fans.

Tim Lincecum is a guy that I love to watch pitch, I was hoping that he would fall to the Cubs but they were a couple picks too late.

Cubs fans really will never forgive Dusty Baker for that eh? I was never the biggest fan of Prior, and I think his mechanics or fitness are probably as much to blame as anything else for his continual rash of injuries. However, I did quite like Kerry Wood, and think it really unfortunate the turn his career has taken.

I felt sorry for Reds fans anyways.

When talking about young guys who could make a big impact, I can't believe I forgot to mention Francisco Liriano. If he's back on form, Minnesota fans might get over losing Santana (and Hunter) a little more quickly.

I think the Cubs will win the NL Central, though maybe more out of lack of elite competition than a lack of flaws. Cincinnati, Houston and Pittsburgh will probably be, well, Cincinnati, Houston and Pittsburgh. The Cardinals have an almost laughable dearth of starting pitchers, especially with Chris Carpenter starting the season hurt, and I just can't see them contending. I think the main challenge for the Cubbies might be Milwaukee, but I just don't see them quite pulling through. The Brewers have a LOT of power in their lineup though, and should put together a respectable rotation depending always on Ben Sheets' health. They probably will make a lot of errors though, and will strike out quite a bit too. We'll have to see how much they miss Cordero (ie: is Gagne done?)
Posted Image

#71 Gaborik_Fan#1

Gaborik_Fan#1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

Two signings:

3B Casey Blake re-ups with the Indians (for 1 year).

Obviously Cleveland doesn't feel Marte is quite ready to be an everyday guy at third, otherwise they wouldn't be paying Blake 6+ million at that position. Blake is a seasoned and versatile veteran, but Marte is the future there in Cleveland, though he had some injury troubles last year.
1B Sean Casey signs with the Red Sox

The nicest guy in baseball is going to mostly be a bench player, being that he shares a position with Free Pass Youkilis (not to mention David Ortiz in selected interleague games). When the Tigers moved Carlos Guillen to first base to make room for Edgar Renteria, the writing was on the wall for Casey. Still, he reportedly is impossible not to like, so he'll probably get along just fine with the Red Sox.

I wanted the Mariners to sign Casey, when he's healthy he is still a very good player and a great team guy. That is a great depth move and for $700,000 it's a total steal.
dwight k schrute

#72 SportCrazy

SportCrazy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

Mets just signed Santana to a contract worth 150 million.

21.5 mil per year.

http://msn.foxsports...748102?MSNHPHMA

QUOTE(Kottke @ Feb 11 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is why you take them to the movies.
That way, you don't have to talk. Just dick in a popcorn bag.

#73 Zeba77

Zeba77

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

Mets just signed Santana to a contract worth 150 million.

21.5 mil per year.

http://msn.foxsports...748102?MSNHPHMA

baseball players make to much money lol :D

#74 Gaborik_Fan#1

Gaborik_Fan#1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

The Santana deal isn't as much as I thought it would be.

But it's still a big risk, he'll have to be very lucky to not get injured as he gets older.
dwight k schrute

#75 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

Cubs fans really will never forgive Dusty Baker for that eh? I was never the biggest fan of Prior, and I think his mechanics or fitness are probably as much to blame as anything else for his continual rash of injuries. However, I did quite like Kerry Wood, and think it really unfortunate the turn his career has taken.

I felt sorry for Reds fans anyways.

When talking about young guys who could make a big impact, I can't believe I forgot to mention Francisco Liriano. If he's back on form, Minnesota fans might get over losing Santana (and Hunter) a little more quickly.

I think the Cubs will win the NL Central, though maybe more out of lack of elite competition than a lack of flaws. Cincinnati, Houston and Pittsburgh will probably be, well, Cincinnati, Houston and Pittsburgh. The Cardinals have an almost laughable dearth of starting pitchers, especially with Chris Carpenter starting the season hurt, and I just can't see them contending. I think the main challenge for the Cubbies might be Milwaukee, but I just don't see them quite pulling through. The Brewers have a LOT of power in their lineup though, and should put together a respectable rotation depending always on Ben Sheets' health. They probably will make a lot of errors though, and will strike out quite a bit too. We'll have to see how much they miss Cordero (ie: is Gagne done?)

It was Wood actually that had the bad mechanics, Prior's mechanics and delivery were very "clean". You are right, I'll never forgive Dusty for what he did.

In just his 1st full season, after already pitching 180+ innings, and having just turned 23 Prior had these pitch counts in September 2003:

I think the Cubs have a good shot at winning the division title, even moreso if they can shore up SS and/or add another pitcher. I wouldn't underestimate Milwaukee though. There defense could be better because I heard they're thinking of moving Braun to LF and Hall to 3rd. Yovani Gallardo is another young pitcher that should do well this year.

The Santana deal isn't as much as I thought it would be.

But it's still a big risk, he'll have to be very lucky to not get injured as he gets older.

Yeah, I thought that deal was going to be for more money per year. I heard Santana's initial demands were 28 per.

Edited by TheGreatest, 01 February 2008 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

#76 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

$21 mil is a bit much for a pitcher, no?

My god, I wish I didn't start doing drugs and chasing girls when I was 14. I actually had a really bright future. No joke!

:(
Posted Image

#77 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

The latest on Bedard. Things still looking good.....
http://seattle.marin...c...sp&c_id=sea

**UPDATE**

YAAAAAAAAAAAAH BABY!!!
http://seattle.marin...c...sp&c_id=sea

Edited by Johnny., 07 February 2008 - 09:25 PM.

Posted Image

#78 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/ml...132&hubname=mlb

Orioles re-sign Daniel Cabrera, 1 year 2.875 million.

I don't know how a guy who goes 9-18, with a terrible ERA, gets that much money to play baseball. I know it's a pretty typical contract for someone like him, but come on, he isn't even good, and yet he'll make in one year more than most people make in a lifetime.

That article also mentions no progress on Bedard, though the Mariners website Johnny posted does seem more optimistic. Please let it be true...
Posted Image

#79 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

Baseball American releases its list of the top 10 prospects in each teams system.

http://www.baseballa...tiontop10/2007/

Oh and Schilling is expected to miss serious time.

http://www.bostonher...-issue-serious/

Edited by TheGreatest, 08 February 2008 - 12:05 PM.

Posted Image

#80 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

Baseball American releases its list of the top 10 prospects in each teams system.

http://www.baseballa...tiontop10/2007/

Good link.

It's a little out of date in some areas though, they still have Lastings Milledge and Carlos Gomez (et al) with the Mets.

For the Mariners, I think Jeff Clement is probably going to be playing in the majors pretty soon, but I can't imagine he's going to unseat Johjima, and I think he could be a trade asset by the end of this year. Or maybe, as their projection suggests, they could switch him to first base, where the Mariners will hopefully soon have a big (6'8 to be exact) hole to fill. I also think Balentien will be one of the first to make an impact too. Maybe Tuiasosopo makes the leap soon too, though I don't know what to expect from him. Interesting that they list Rowland-Smith as a prospect too, since he's on the team for sure. I wonder if Adam Jones will be Mariners property this season too.

Interestingly, they still list Joba as a prospect too, even though with the way he pitched last year, he's pretty high up on the major league depth chart and will never see the minors again (save post-injury assignments etc).
Posted Image

#81 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/ml...203&hubname=mlb
Bedard deal finally official.

Sweet!
Posted Image

#82 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

Finally, a happy day for Johnny!!!

My wife and I are deciding if we should get a 16 game pack this year. I ended up down there close to ten times last season, so might as well right??
Posted Image

#83 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

Finally, a happy day for Johnny!!!

My wife and I are deciding if we should get a 16 game pack this year. I ended up down there close to ten times last season, so might as well right??

Sure, it'd be cheaper and easier than having to buy all those tickets independently, you'd probably get a better spot too.

If you do end up doing it but feel like it's a few too many games, PM me with a schedule and I'd maybe buy a game or two from you if the times were right. I'm sure you could ebay/craigslist away some games too if necessary.

The last few years I've been driving down between 4-7 times per season, so not quite enough to get that size of a pack (plus I really don't have the flexibility to stick to a set package either), but I still look forward to the release of the schedule every year to plan out when I might try and go.

Edited by 190744Dynasty, 08 February 2008 - 02:17 PM.

Posted Image

#84 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

I guess Bedard gives me a reason to cheer for the mariners now.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#85 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Blue-Jays line-up:

Rios - RF
Hill - 2B
Wells - CF
Thomas - DH
Rolen - 3B
Overbay - 1B
Johnson - LF
Zaun - C
Eckstein - SS

Halladay
Burnett
McGowen
Marcum
Litsch

Not too shabby. I would say I slight improvement over last season, providing they can stay healthy for once. Boston and NY still too dominant for the Jays to make a serious playoff push. But for once, the future looks bright with the likes of McGowen, Marcum, Litsch, Lind ready to step up and make a real impact.

Anyone think Cacin will be given a real chance at the rotation?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#86 Kerneys A Monster

Kerneys A Monster

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

how the jay stand pat and do not pick up any pitching i do not know. rolen for glaus has the potential to be a complete fleecing of rolen stays healthy and returns to form

thanks canuck munkey

#87 Gaborik_Fan#1

Gaborik_Fan#1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Blue-Jays line-up:

Rios - RF
Hill - 2B
Wells - CF
Thomas - DH
Rolen - 3B
Overbay - 1B
Johnson - LF
Zaun - C
Eckstein - SS

Halladay
Burnett
McGowen
Marcum
Litsch

Not too shabby. I would say I slight improvement over last season, providing they can stay healthy for once. Boston and NY still too dominant for the Jays to make a serious playoff push. But for once, the future looks bright with the likes of McGowen, Marcum, Litsch, Lind ready to step up and make a real impact.

I love the pitching, I don't like the offence.

The lack of left-handed power is obvious.
dwight k schrute

#88 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:55 PM

Blue-Jays line-up:

Rios - RF
Hill - 2B
Wells - CF
Thomas - DH
Rolen - 3B
Overbay - 1B
Johnson - LF
Zaun - C
Eckstein - SS

Halladay
Burnett
McGowen
Marcum
Litsch

That rotation has some serious potential.
Posted Image

#89 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

how the jay stand pat and do not pick up any pitching i do not know. rolen for glaus has the potential to be a complete fleecing of rolen stays healthy and returns to form

Pitching will not be their problem this year, as they have had a very solid bullpen for a couple of years, and it could be even boosted by the addition of Chacin/Litsch.

Hitting will be the concern.
Posted Image

#90 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:05 AM

Sure, it'd be cheaper and easier than having to buy all those tickets independently, you'd probably get a better spot too.

If you do end up doing it but feel like it's a few too many games, PM me with a schedule and I'd maybe buy a game or two from you if the times were right. I'm sure you could ebay/craigslist away some games too if necessary.

The last few years I've been driving down between 4-7 times per season, so not quite enough to get that size of a pack (plus I really don't have the flexibility to stick to a set package either), but I still look forward to the release of the schedule every year to plan out when I might try and go.

We decided against it. We'll just pick up a few games the day they go on sale. Definetly gotta go see the Skanks and Sox. Also, the Twins are here on my BDay this year (Aug 25). That's always fun!

Really psyched for Bedard though. This could be a killer 1-2 punch if Felix can throw the way he can.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.