The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

Signing:

Former Astros' 3B Morgan Ensberg signs with the Yankees (minor league deal).

Likely to play some first base, as Jason Giambi probably won't be able to manage many games in the field, and the Yankees really don't have too many other good options there, while the other three infield starters are basically set in stone. Ensberg has fallen pretty far from being an All Star a couple of years ago, but maybe he can help the Yankees, particularly as he is a right handed power bat when healthy, while the Yankees lineup after Jeter and ARod is almost all lefties (Posada being a switch hitter, though he's gotten to be pretty even from both sides).

i understand that wood (thanks my bad) is/was a fireballer but i was watching an interview on Fox the otherday and he was interviewed for about a minute and a half (ill see if i can find it) he states that his power is really picking up which is the reason im concerned

sidenote it was part of the clip that had clemens in it

i understand that wood (thanks my bad) is/was a fireballer but i was watching an interview on Fox the otherday and he was interviewed for about a minute and a half (ill see if i can find it) he states that his power is really picking up which is the reason im concerned

sidenote it was part of the clip that had clemens in it

Two signings:

3B Casey Blake re-ups with the Indians (for 1 year).

Obviously Cleveland doesn't feel Marte is quite ready to be an everyday guy at third, otherwise they wouldn't be paying Blake 6+ million at that position. Blake is a seasoned and versatile veteran, but Marte is the future there in Cleveland, though he had some injury troubles last year.

1B Sean Casey signs with the Red Sox

The nicest guy in baseball is going to mostly be a bench player, being that he shares a position with Free Pass Youkilis (not to mention David Ortiz in selected interleague games). When the Tigers moved Carlos Guillen to first base to make room for Edgar Renteria, the writing was on the wall for Casey. Still, he reportedly is impossible not to like, so he'll probably get along just fine with the Red Sox.

No love for Josh Beckett eh?

Zambrano is certainly an ace pitcher (and very possibly the best hitting pitcher in the league, though there's one guy on Arizona who's pretty good too, and Dontrelle Willis, whose hitting skills will be largely wasted in Detroit). I just find him to be a bit too confrontational. He did apologize and say all the right things after that scuffle with Michael Barrett last year, and I thought the media did their best to generate news out of that after both of them resolved their issues like adults. However, I also see him as being a little selfish.

I always enjoy watching the development of young pitchers from season to season. Last year guys like Hamels, Verlander, Fausto Carmona, Tom Gorzelanny and even Felix all took giant steps forward. I'm really interested to see how young pitching prospects, like Joba Chamberlain, Homer Bailey, Phil Hughes and Tim Lincecum will do this season. I definitely would've been keen to see Lincecum come to the Jays (allegedly it was a deal involving Alex Rios). I don't catch too many Cubs games, but I'm wondering what the Northsiders think of the prospects for Rich Hill, whether he can be the number 2 guy in Chicago?

Rich Hill definitely has the upside to be a number 2 and even a number one. He is similar to Zambrano in that he can mentally collapse and just start throwing hanging curveballs. They key with Hill is limiting home runs. He has shown the ability to absolutely dominate in AAA and at times in the MLB. One of the things I'm most looking forward to next season is seeing if he can take the next step.

I really worry for Homer Bailey, just because Dusty is the new manager of the Reds. After seeing how he completely decimated Prior and Wood, it makes me feel sorry for Reds fans.

Tim Lincecum is a guy that I love to watch pitch, I was hoping that he would fall to the Cubs but they were a couple picks too late.

Two signings:

3B Casey Blake re-ups with the Indians (for 1 year).

Obviously Cleveland doesn't feel Marte is quite ready to be an everyday guy at third, otherwise they wouldn't be paying Blake 6+ million at that position. Blake is a seasoned and versatile veteran, but Marte is the future there in Cleveland, though he had some injury troubles last year.

1B Sean Casey signs with the Red Sox

The nicest guy in baseball is going to mostly be a bench player, being that he shares a position with Free Pass Youkilis (not to mention David Ortiz in selected interleague games). When the Tigers moved Carlos Guillen to first base to make room for Edgar Renteria, the writing was on the wall for Casey. Still, he reportedly is impossible not to like, so he'll probably get along just fine with the Red Sox.

Cubs fans really will never forgive Dusty Baker for that eh? I was never the biggest fan of Prior, and I think his mechanics or fitness are probably as much to blame as anything else for his continual rash of injuries. However, I did quite like Kerry Wood, and think it really unfortunate the turn his career has taken.

I felt sorry for Reds fans anyways.

When talking about young guys who could make a big impact, I can't believe I forgot to mention Francisco Liriano. If he's back on form, Minnesota fans might get over losing Santana (and Hunter) a little more quickly.

I think the Cubs will win the NL Central, though maybe more out of lack of elite competition than a lack of flaws. Cincinnati, Houston and Pittsburgh will probably be, well, Cincinnati, Houston and Pittsburgh. The Cardinals have an almost laughable dearth of starting pitchers, especially with Chris Carpenter starting the season hurt, and I just can't see them contending. I think the main challenge for the Cubbies might be Milwaukee, but I just don't see them quite pulling through. The Brewers have a LOT of power in their lineup though, and should put together a respectable rotation depending always on Ben Sheets' health. They probably will make a lot of errors though, and will strike out quite a bit too. We'll have to see how much they miss Cordero (ie: is Gagne done?)

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=229132&hubname=mlb

Orioles re-sign Daniel Cabrera, 1 year 2.875 million.

I don't know how a guy who goes 9-18, with a terrible ERA, gets that much money to play baseball. I know it's a pretty typical contract for someone like him, but come on, he isn't even good, and yet he'll make in one year more than most people make in a lifetime.

That article also mentions no progress on Bedard, though the Mariners website Johnny posted does seem more optimistic. Please let it be true...

Archived