The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

ok...

Im a big Redsox fan..

will get a userbar to show and a sig...

They will make it to the series, AT LEAST, if they dont face the mariners in the ALCS..

and yes I said it.. the Mariners in the ALCS..

They will do great this season..

2nd best pitching rotation in the AL and maybe in the league..

Watch those Mariners ..

Mojo is back :D

It's going to be an interesting season in the AL East.

There are pitching questions in New York and Boston. Both teams will still score a ton of runs.

Schilling already has problems that could end his season before it starts, and Wakefield is a year older and was hurt a lot last year.

The Yankees have questions about Mussina and Pettite(not injury). And who knows how their young starters will do.

The D-Rays are on the rize, the Jays should be good if they stay healthy.

I have faith in our young guys. Lester and Buchholz are primed and ready to go, Dice-K with a year under his belt will be that much better, and Beckett will be Beckett. If we have another injury... that's when problems could occur. But I can see the sox trading for a possible 5th starter now that Schill is MIA for who knows how long.

Sure the Jays should be good if they're healthy, but how many years have we been saying that?

It's going to be an interesting season in the AL East.

There are pitching questions in New York and Boston. Both teams will still score a ton of runs.

Schilling already has problems that could end his season before it starts, and Wakefield is a year older and was hurt a lot last year.

The Yankees have questions about Mussina and Pettite(not injury). And who knows how their young starters will do.

The D-Rays are on the rize, the Jays should be good if they stay healthy.

AL EAST

Boston

New York

Toronto

Tampa Bay

Baltimore

AL CENTRAL

Detroit

Cleveland

Minnesota

Kansas City

Chicago

AL WEST

Los Angeles

Seattle

Oakland

Texas

AL Wild Card:

New York

NL EAST

New York

Philadelphia

Atlanta

Florida

Washington

NL CENTRAL

Chicago

Milwaukee

Cincinatti (These guys will surprise, as long as the young guys get to play)

Houston

St. Louis

Pittsburgh

NL WEST (Will definitely be the closest division)

Los Angeles

Arizona

Colorado

San Diego

San Fransisco

NL Wild Card

Arizona

Playoff predictions:

ALDS

Tigers over Yankees

Red Sox over Angels

ALCS

Tigers over Red Sox

NLDS

Mets over Arizona

Cubs over Dodgers

NLCS

Mets over Cubs

WORLD SERIES

Tigers over Mets

Ill post my MVP, Cy Young and ROY predictions later.

Predictions! YAHOO!!!

Already called the AL East:

Boston: World Series winners return most key players

New York (WC): Young talented pitching and experienced lineup should challenge the Sox

Toronto: Excellent rotation would make this team a contender in most divisions

Tampa Bay: Out of the basement, finally\

Baltimore: Take last year's lousy team, subtract Tejada and Bedard

AL Central:

Detroit: Cabrera will finally get some recognition out of Florida, and the Tigers power past Cleveland

Cleveland: Can Carmona and Sabathia have the same type of season as last year? Can Hafner not have the same season as last year?

Minnesota: Losing Hunter and Santana hurts, but they added potential superstar Delmon Young, still have some good arms, and lots of exciting young players. And Morneau.

Kansas City: Another basement dweller which should finally reap some benefit from their young talent

Chicago: Garland gone, Iguchi gone (added Nick Swisher though). Rebuilding year

AL West:

Seattle: Homer pick? Maybe, but this team finally has good starting pitching, a very decent offence and a quality bullpen. Good D too.

LA Angels: Some great hitting outfielders, but no power in the infield. Will the challenge the Mariners? Absolutely, but I think they fall a bit short.

Oakland: Decent pitching will keep them out of the cellar (but can Harden stay healthy for once?). Need more from 3B Chavez.

Texas: Their starting is abysmal. That's all there is to it.

NL East:

New York: Solid everywhere (the only question mark for me is Delgado). Santana puts them over the top.

Atlanta (WC): Call me crazy, but I think those old horses on the mound have enough left to make Atlanta a playoff team.

Philadelphia: Come back to Earth after last year's surprise division win. Hamels is a great young pitcher, but their pitching is very ordinary after him.

Washington: Not much pitching either, but the potential for at least some offence is there.

Florida: They sucked last year. Then they traded their two best players.

NL Central:

Chicago: The best of a bad lot. Rotation is probably above average, couple of intriguing rookies (Soto and Fukudome).

Milwaukee: Stumbled last year, but there's some potential here. Power in spades, and they might get some decent pitching too.

Houston: Back end of rotation is muddy, but a lot of good hitters in a great hitters' park. What will happen with Tejada? Which Matsui will show up?

St Louis: Starting pitching is important, really! Will they get any? Can Glaus stay healthy?

Pittsburgh: These bottom three teams are so brutal, it's hard to rank them. Like Pittsburgh to avoid last place solely due to the potential of young players maturing together.

Cincinnati: Spend big off-season dollars on...a closer. Do they realize you have to be winning late in games for him to come in?

NL West:

Colorado: Team went to the Series last year, and should be better this year as young players continue to develop.

San Diego: Pitching will be excellent. Offence not so much, though Gonzalez and Kouzmanoff were good last year and could continue to improve.

Arizona: This team won the division with one of the weakest offences in the league last year. Won't happen again. Really good looking rotation though.

Los Angeles: Will Schmidt be able to play? Garciaparra? Will Andruw Jones rebound? Still, some good pitching and a lot of good hustle guys, so the division could be tight from 1-4 this year.

San Francisco: Young pitchers Cain and Lincecum the only things to be excitied about.

EDIT: Playoff Predictions

ALDS

Detroit beats New York Yankees

Boston beats Seattle

ALCS

Detroit beats Boston

NLDS

New York Mets beats Chicago

Colorado beats Atlanta

NLCS

New York Mets beats Colorado

World Series

Detroit beats New York Mets

A few recent signings to update:

Garrett Atkins re-signs with the Rockies, for about 4.4M: A sizable, but deserved raise for a .300/25/100 guy.

Khalil Greene re-signs with the Padres, 11M over 2 seasons: This guy is one of a few Padres with any significant pop in his bat. However, he's also a big whiffer, with one of the longest swings you'll ever see, and every time I see him hit, it seems like pitchers who can switch velocities well will have him at their mercy. Still, for a decent fielder and mostly good hitter, this deal makes sense for San Diego.

Livan Hernandez signs one year deal with Twins, 5M: Livan Hernandez is a guy with fabulous arm mechanics, which has made him possible the most durable pitcher of our age. He also, for the most part, throws strikes. However, he doesn't really have electric stuff, and has declined a bit over the last couple of years. He's also a good hitter, which will be wasted in the AL. I can see why some teams would be interested in this guy, and Minnesota would definitely be one, considering they gave up both Santana and Garza in trade, without getting any pitchers who will definitely be ready in 2008 in return.

CY Young

AL Erik Bedard

NL Johan Santana

MVP

AL ARod

NL David Wright

ROY

AL Evan Longoria

NL Geovany Soto

A couple players that I'm excited to watch: Justin Upton, Dustin McGowan, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Cole Hamels, and Tim Lincecum.

Khalil Greene re-signs with the Padres, 11M over 2 seasons: This guy is one of a few Padres with any significant pop in his bat. However, he's also a big whiffer, with one of the longest swings you'll ever see, and every time I see him hit, it seems like pitchers who can switch velocities well will have him at their mercy. Still, for a decent fielder and mostly good hitter, this deal makes sense for San Diego.

Archived