The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Photography Thread

MattWN

it's an excellent lens. Especially for the price and may very well be nikons best value lens.

Yeah it's cheaper than my 18-200mm VR lens, which is my current go-to lens.

I think I want to invest in a good tripod first though, 'cause it's a heavy lens. I want to go straight to a carbon fibre tripod, and not bother spending money on an intermediate one. I think my savings account has recovered enough from the playoffs to start looking into a tripod.

Yeah it's cheaper than my 18-200mm VR lens, which is my current go-to lens.

I think I want to invest in a good tripod first though, 'cause it's a heavy lens. I want to go straight to a carbon fibre tripod, and not bother spending money on an intermediate one. I think my savings account has recovered enough from the playoffs to start looking into a tripod.

Good plan on the tripod! There's an excellent article by Thom Hogan I think on tripod buying. I made the mistake of doing what most do. Trying to cheap out in phases. Going through multiple tripods before finally settling on a gitzo traveller.

Another good option in the monopod and velbon has an excellent and good value series in the Geopod. I had one that was the perfect size to walk around but I lost it in drunken stupor in Susi, Karabahk.

Maybe you can find some good prices on B and H or Adoramas website.

@Lonny Bohonos

Nice portrait shots. I would love to go to Indonesia someday! I have the Gitzo traveler tripod as well, it's so light and sturdy! It's my to-go tripod now for sure!

My trip to Banff last summer:

6072268271_0e19291f1e.jpg

Click Here to see the whole set.

Thanks mate.

Portraits are an interesting beast. Especially travel/environmental. Lots to factor in and consider. It was the first time I gave off camera flash with Pocket Wizard radio triggers a go.

Like you shot you've posted in this thread. That blue colour makes me miss Canada.

As for Bali its well worth the trip. Lots of different photography ops. Landscape, portraits, action, you name it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

BUMP. There was talk about photography in CMN so I thought it was time to bump this thread. Get posting people.

The camera I used to take these is terrible, so the quality is pretty poor. I bought a new bridge camera at Christmas but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Planning on upgrading to a DSLR once I've got a proper job and I'm earning.

Where my family is from:

256hit4.jpg

And this is a photo from my geology mapping project last Summer. The cliffs around there are pretty nice to look at but a real pain in the ass to map.

2uen2mu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

what do you shoot with and how long have you been shooting?

i use a sony nex-5, thinking of upgrading fairly soon. i mostly shoot as a hobby but it's part of my job as well (passport photos). hasn't been too long. i started in 2009 with a dinky lil sony cybershot. i upgraded to the nex-5 winter 2010, when it was new

i use a sony nex-5, thinking of upgrading fairly soon. i mostly shoot as a hobby but it's part of my job as well (passport photos). hasn't been too long. i started in 2009 with a dinky lil sony cybershot. i upgraded to the nex-5 winter 2010, when it was new

I just started 3 weeks ago with a Nikon d5100 going up from a Kodak easy share myself, shooting nothing but RAW/NEF for future touch ups and editing. Standard kit lens and a 55-200mm. Looking into an 18-105 and a 35mm as well as a standard speedlight.

Then eventually once I am comfortable upgrade the body and the lens.

Do you do any editing for texture iso/background?

Archived