The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

I was on the 98 today, this late-20s looking guy reeking of marijuana walked in and sat next to me. He started yelling things out, like "is it safe in here?" or "is Al Qaeda in here?".....then he started unbuckling his belt and opened his zipper, at that point i got up and walked to the front of the bus. He got off at the next stop.

Yes. Osama needs to take the B-Line to his workplace at the Bentall towers.

Yup, that's the plan. There will also be a three-storey wood low-rise built on top of the station:

I must say it looks really good, I like the whole train over train concept, is it true that at one point there's only 1 track for both trains going different ways just cause they didn't have enough money???

mmm im going to rant about translink

wtf...i was at 29th today...6 f**king skytrains go by before i am able to somehow fit on. keep in mind there is still a big line up behind me

then at frikin Production Station to get to SFU....4 damn buses go by before i am able to get on.

and for UBC students...the line up for the 99 was frikin long today....

god i really hate transit

I must say it looks really good, I like the whole train over train concept, is it true that at one point there's only 1 track for both trains going different ways just cause they didn't have enough money???

The stacked tunnel section of the Canada Line starts south of Broadway-City Hall Station and ends south of King Edward Station....done mainly to cut costs and disruption. ;) And if you haven't noticed, the Expo Line in downtown is a stacked tunnel too. :P

And yea, the final 640-metres of both the Richmond and Sea Island segments are single-tracked, mainly to cut costs (which amount to only about $60-million). The single-tracking really isn't THAT much, it's about the same distance from Robson Street to West Hastings.....the only problem is if a train breaks down in that section. However, frequency won't be a problem.....you could probably run a max. frequency of 2-3 minutes in those sections, which is still pretty high.

Edited by nitronuts

mmm im going to rant about translink

wtf...i was at 29th today...6 f**king skytrains go by before i am able to somehow fit on. keep in mind there is still a big line up behind me

then at frikin Production Station to get to SFU....4 damn buses go by before i am able to get on.

and for UBC students...the line up for the 99 was frikin long today....

god i really hate transit

It's safe to say that Translink is doing their best.....the spike in ridership/crowding/lineups is due to the record high gas prices over the past few months, it's quite hard for Translink to keep up that quickly.

Next year, there will be a few hundred more new buses arriving....as well as 48 additional SkyTrain cars and a third Seabus.

I meant from now till whenever the RAV line goes on.

By the way, will Translink open a stop for the 98 at Sexsmith PnR?

There's no point, the 98 B-Line won't be around in 11 months....no point in making any more capital investments on the 98.

But of course, there's a massive park and ride facility being built right now at Bridgeport Station....1,400 car park spaces. And Bridgeport Station will also have the biggest bus loop in the entire region, will become the next Lougheed Station.

There was a huge lineup for the bus at West Blvd./41st Avenue going eastbound, from UBC. That's where Point Grey Secondary is, and where a lot of kids from that school tend to get on. We were gonna be on time for my bus transfer at Granville.

Then some kid stops the whole line (which was huge; the driver had to tell some people to take the next bus) to ask the driver how much the fare is, and then couldn't tell the difference between a quarter and a dime.

He put in several dimes (I was watching this from the throne seat behind the driver) and then was like, "Where's my ticket?" The driver was like, "You put in twenty cents." Then the kid has to search his wallet and digs out several more dimes before realizing that they weren't quarters.

Meanwhile, the whole line-up was at a standstill while he tried to tell apart which coins are which (and nearly put in some pennies).

Instead of being on time at Granville, we ended up 10 minutes late, largely due to that one kid who apparently never learned, in first grade, how to identify coins.

Fail.

^ to be fair, he could've been a recent immigrant.

There were at least 1,500 people waiting at UBC loop today at 4 pm....it was unbelievable, i've never seen anything like it. The lineup for the 99 was 100-metres long, and the island bus platform was HK-style crowded.

^ to be fair, he could've been a recent immigrant.

There were at least 1,500 people waiting at UBC loop today at 4 pm....it was unbelievable, i've never seen anything like it. The lineup for the 99 was 100-metres long, and the island bus platform was HK-style crowded.

Not a new immigrant. He was white kid, and spoke English perfectly with no accent.

Using the first picture as a guide....

Burrard line should should just be a continuation of your light rail line. It's probably the only place I could see light rail as a good idea btw, all other light rails could simply be rapid bus in dedicated lanes, they take the same amount of space. Start negotiating with the railroad now, you might have your right of way by 2030 if your lucky though.

agreed.

If your tolling the crossings it's cruel and unusual to no extend RAV down to Landner.

i could see some sort of commuter rail service or LRT starting from Bridgeport Station (assuming the Canada Line's capacity is doubled), that'll travel along the 99 highway median into White Rock/Ladner/South Surrey/Tsawassen....

All of your rail crossings at the existing crapoloa bridge hinge on getting that bridge fixed (2 billion dollars) although that would be a nice way to open negotiations for a commuter rail service, and should be happening anyways.

agreed.

If your fixing the rail bridge might as well have speed rail service to Seattle.

it would be nice, but it's not a priority nor should it be.

You need a rapid bus to jump the gap in Richmond somewhere between the RAV line and 22nd street. They should have that in place for when RAV opens.

agreed.

Expo line should extend to Langley, with a giant park and ride structure at the mall or wherever your terminus is.

That's a bit far for SkyTrain, considering it'll have to go through farmland. Also, is there sufficient ridership? I'd go with LRT instead.

The fraser valley express should extend at very least to abbottsford, if not chilliwack.

You should have a ladner south delta cloverdale langley regional commuter express bus.

agreed.

The millenium line will take the north route. It should extend into maple ridge.

you have the evergreen line on the north route.

An express bus should run from the ends of these two transit lines over the bridge.

agreed.

Rav line should curl around and go to the west end, and potentially through stanley park to the north shore.

there's no point....downtown is already pretty walkable, and the whole west end/stanley park thing will be served by a future downtown streetcar.

Roads:

Build gateway.

both the no and yes sides have valid arguments to the port mann/highway 1 expansion.....my only argument is that the additional lanes should only be for HOV.

Turn 12th and 16th into alternating one way streets, extend 16th as needed to connect directly to the on off ramps of the freeway.

Marine drive should be a 80km/h expressway all the way to UBC.

Build a freeway connection between 99 and hwy 10 as a dedicated few to no offramp truck route (I can't remember the name of that road, but you would basically follow that one, it's an old road south of hwy 10.

hell no, it's fine as is....and nobody wants a freeway through Vancouver.

Make the lions gate bridge five lanes wide, ditto with the causeway.

The park board and the province have agreement that by 2035 the Lions Gate Bridge and STanley Park causeway will be handed over to the park board and that cars would no go through the causeway.....if that goes through, i'd like to see the Lions Gate be used for streetcar, cyclist, and pedestrian purposes to the North Shore.

And underneath the causeway is a four lane tunnel to the North Shore.

Some of your ideas are too car-friendly, considering what we're trying to do is get people out of cars and into transit.