The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

nitronuts, both BuckyHermit and I are unable to take 98 b line , 496/491 because all of them are full during the afternoon rush hours.

It has been a few years already.

I agreed what aerodynamicanuck said.

"You should be an adviser" and bring our opinion to the Translink!!!

Prepare to hear a lot of whining from me about the 496 routes in the afternoon! (around 3-4pm)

Most of the time 98 B line buses are full!!! Min. (2X)

496 is quite full. We don't get a seat even we can get in!!!

Your prestige/social status on the 491 and 491 is determined by whether you get a seat or not. 5pm is the worst, but not 3pm-4pm is starting to challenge 5pm for the "worst commute" title. I rode the 491 from 5th Avenue yesterday, and the culprit for 3pm-4pm seems to be Granville @ King Edward... Tons of private school kids getting on from there. Even worse than any crunch at 41st.

^ how did i cut it off? it's not like i suggested to blow up the bridges leading into Richmond.

The bridges act as a perfect place to set tolls. The whole point of this is to get a lot more people throughout the region out of their cars and into transit, which will see great expansion in the suburbs.

I agree provided the alternate service is in place BEFORE tolls come in.

This carbon tax was so assbackwards. Don't tax me until I have a viable alternative. Then if I choose to still drive, by all means tax me. But at this time I don't feel that I do have a viable alternative.

How ever I was quite encouraged when I saw a Canada Line train roll into the Lansdowne Station last week doing some testing.

When the Canada Line starts service, a lot of the Richmond and south of Fraser routes will reconfigured to terminate at one of the Richmond stations....either Brighouse or Bridgeport.

The frequencies within the Richmond segment are abysmal:

Early Morning

- Waterfront to Bridgeport: 6 minutes

- Bridgeport to YVR: 12 minutes

- Bridgeport to Richmond Centre: 12 minutes

Morning Peak Period

- Waterfront to Bridgeport: 3 mins 45 secs

- Bridgeport to YVR: 7 mins 30 secs

- Bridgeport to Richmond Centre: 7 mins 30 secs

Mid-Day

Afternoon Peak Period

Evening

- Waterfront to Bridgeport: 6 minutes

- Bridgeport to YVR: 12 minutes

- Bridgeport to Richmond Centre: 12 minutes

Late Night

- Waterfront to Bridgeport: 10 minutes

- Bridgeport to YVR: 20 minutes

- Bridgeport to Richmond Centre: 20 minutes

Just to note, each Canada Line train is equivalent to the capacity of three B-Line buses.

The Lower mainland needs to get rid of some of the two lane roads and put in public transit only roads. Make it so public transit is the only efficient way to get around. Then they need to make all trucking become a nightshift with in the boundaries of the city. Unless there are emergencies. But those emergencies will need to be validated by someone working an emergency hub and forms need to be filled in triplicate Then double stamped at two different locations.

I hope you have a couple of months at the very least of straight nightshift before you go and insist that other people do that.

Using the first picture as a guide....

Burrard line should should just be a continuation of your light rail line. It's probably the only place I could see light rail as a good idea btw, all other light rails could simply be rapid bus in dedicated lanes, they take the same amount of space. Start negotiating with the railroad now, you might have your right of way by 2030 if your lucky though.

If your tolling the crossings it's cruel and unusual to no extend RAV down to Landner.

All of your rail crossings at the existing crapoloa bridge hinge on getting that bridge fixed (2 billion dollars) although that would be a nice way to open negotiations for a commuter rail service, and should be happening anyways.

If your fixing the rail bridge might as well have speed rail service to Seattle.

You need a rapid bus to jump the gap in Richmond somewhere between the RAV line and 22nd street. They should have that in place for when RAV opens.

Expo line should extend to Langley, with a giant park and ride structure at the mall or wherever your terminus is.

The fraser valley express should extend at very least to abbottsford, if not chilliwack.

You should have a ladner south delta cloverdale langley regional commuter express bus.

The millenium line will take the north route. It should extend into maple ridge.

An express bus should run from the ends of these two transit lines over the bridge.

Rav line should curl around and go to the west end, and potentially through stanley park to the north shore.

Roads:

Build gateway.

Turn 12th and 16th into alternating one way streets, extend 16th as needed to connect directly to the on off ramps of the freeway.

Ditto Granville and Oak, with appropriate ramps and bridges to connect directly with no lane loss to 99.

Build the wayburne overpass, and connect wayburne with nelson to make a north south street in burnaby, and make that your bus route, or a bus route.

Marine drive should be a 80km/h expressway all the way to UBC.

Build a freeway connection between 99 and hwy 10 as a dedicated few to no offramp truck route (I can't remember the name of that road, but you would basically follow that one, it's an old road south of hwy 10.

Make the lions gate bridge five lanes wide, ditto with the causeway.

South Fraser Screen line program....

If your want your congestion pricing, might as well give them something....

Make the screen line the south of fraser for your tolls, and the north shore if that make you happy. (North shore will buy in if gateway and the lions gate actually flowed traffic.)

Golden ears already in.

Port mann on the way.

Three lanes each way on Putello along with rail brige.

Make the freeking aurthur lane freeway a freeway, i.e. no stinking lights.

Put in another tunnel so you you have four lanes in the happy direction and two the other way at the very least.

I was on the 98 today, this late-20s looking guy reeking of marijuana walked in and sat next to me. He started yelling things out, like "is it safe in here?" or "is Al Qaeda in here?".....then he started unbuckling his belt and opened his zipper, at that point i got up and walked to the front of the bus. He got off at the next stop.

It's only being re-routed for Canada Line construction.....in which the 98 will be terminated once the Canada Line goes online.

I believe this was already posted once, but can't remember the answer...

Once the 98 is shut down, will there be community shuttles operating on #3 Rd between Canada Line stops?

Dear Translink,

My bus passed by my stop when I was a block away. No sweat, I thought, there'll be another in 5 minutes. Halfway down the remaining block, a second bus passed my stop. Oh dear, I thought, this cannot end well. I proceeded to wait 12 minutes (there should be two buses that come by in that time) at the stop before a very full bus showed up. Oh well, I thought, at least it's here. I boarded the bus, and as it left the stop, I saw that another bus caught up to us.

Please figure out a way to space the buses properly.

Thanks,

Concerned Noodle

I believe this was already posted once, but can't remember the answer...

Once the 98 is shut down, will there be community shuttles operating on #3 Rd between Canada Line stops?

I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of bus service along No.3 Road.

Dear Translink,

My bus passed by my stop when I was a block away. No sweat, I thought, there'll be another in 5 minutes. Halfway down the remaining block, a second bus passed my stop. Oh dear, I thought, this cannot end well. I proceeded to wait 12 minutes (there should be two buses that come by in that time) at the stop before a very full bus showed up. Oh well, I thought, at least it's here. I boarded the bus, and as it left the stop, I saw that another bus caught up to us.

Please figure out a way to space the buses properly.

Thanks,

Concerned Noodle

Translink is still in the process of installing GPS systems into all of their buses, which will allow Translink to know where all of their buses are at all times and which will also allow their drivers to know whether or not the bus is ahead of schedule or is late. There's a button for drivers to press if they have to pass stops because the bus is full.

Really though, so many factors can affect the schedule of a bus....e.g. someone in a wheelchair needs to get on/off.