The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/425992--could-ubc-be-part-of-answer-to-broadway-corridor-funding

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - UBC could end up being part of the solution to fund Vancouver's top transit priority.

City Hall and the university have been talking about money for rapid transit along the Broadway corridor.

Vancouver is continuing to try to shore up support for a plan to get SkyTrain service along Broadway right up to UBC; part of the challenge is figuring out funding.

The City's transportation director, Jerry Dobrovolny, says they've had discussions with the university. "We're committed to a connection, rapid transit subway connection to UBC... and they would have to comment on their potential financial contributions."

Dobrovolny has also told city council the solution to the Broadway corridor must be SkyTrain service, arguing other options like light rail would cause too many problems in the neighbourhoods.

"We tried very hard and we've looked at it for years to see if there was a surface solution west of Arbutus; our conclusion today is no there is not," he says.

The city has identified rapid transit along Broadway as key to a plan to get two-thirds of city trips by foot, bike, or transit by 2040.

So a bus driver keeps closing the doors before I arrive at the stop but has a red light, why won't he open the door for me. A couple of days later, the same bus driver lets me on because other people are getting on too, I try to signal for my stop but the cords aren't working because the driver does not have them turned on. I go up to him and ask if I can have the next stop, he asks me if I am aware of what bus I am on? I tell him I have been taking this bus for two years. He then asks me if I am aware of what bus stop is next, being on an express bus, I tell him that is why I pulled the next stop. The bus driver pulls over just after cracktown on Hastings, and proceeds to call for translink security and VPD as a passenger is harrassing him. I tell him I hope you have your video footage working and audio to prove what you just said. He does not say an ything. I stand for five minutes by the open door, he apologizes to his two other passengers, I apologize and explain why he has pulled over and what he has done in the past. I step off and tell him I will wait right here so we can hash this all out. He closes the door, turns off the lights, smells and waves at me as he pulls away. I have to walk home at 645AM through cracktown to get to my apartment. I made a complaint online and called in a complaint. They will be getting back to me.

Any other suggestions??

From my six years of riding the bus, especially the 135, I believe you are in the wrong here. When there was a red light, has he moved away from the bus stop? If so, he cannot and should not open the doors for safety measures. But, if he was still at the bus stop not moving, he should just open the doors. Why don't you just show up at the bus stop earlier next time? Since you are on the Express bus, the 135 only stops at the main stops in Vancouver, which is why he did not pull over. Maybe your stop is at one of the main stops for Express? If so, you should of just tole him what happened. If you did, then he is an ass? But, if not, you missed your stop, you have to wait for the next one.The 135 does not stop at the "Cracktown" area usually. The stops they stop at is Victoria Street, then Main Street, then Homer Street. If you miss your stop, you miss your stop. You weren't harassing him.

get off the crack

Why are you being such an ass? He was only asking for suggestions. How would you like it if someone acted that way towards you when you asking for advice?

http://www.news1130....orridor-funding

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - UBC could end up being part of the solution to fund Vancouver's top transit priority.

City Hall and the university have been talking about money for rapid transit along the Broadway corridor.

Vancouver is continuing to try to shore up support for a plan to get SkyTrain service along Broadway right up to UBC; part of the challenge is figuring out funding.

The City's transportation director, Jerry Dobrovolny, says they've had discussions with the university. "We're committed to a connection, rapid transit subway connection to UBC... and they would have to comment on their potential financial contributions."

Dobrovolny has also told city council the solution to the Broadway corridor must be SkyTrain service, arguing other options like light rail would cause too many problems in the neighbourhoods.

"We tried very hard and we've looked at it for years to see if there was a surface solution west of Arbutus; our conclusion today is no there is not," he says.

The city has identified rapid transit along Broadway as key to a plan to get two-thirds of city trips by foot, bike, or transit by 2040.

How about putting in that KIng George Bline first. Vancouver already has three skytrain lines. If UBC and City of Vancouver come up with two billion than I won't mind Translink putting in the third but I seriously doubt that will happen. Just more "funnel money here please" by the super entitled due to thinking they are so green Vancouver.

From my six years of riding the bus, especially the 135, I believe you are in the wrong here. When there was a red light, has he moved away from the bus stop? If so, he cannot and should not open the doors for safety measures. But, if he was still at the bus stop not moving, he should just open the doors. Why don't you just show up at the bus stop earlier next time? Since you are on the Express bus, the 135 only stops at the main stops in Vancouver, which is why he did not pull over. Maybe your stop is at one of the main stops for Express? If so, you should of just tole him what happened. If you did, then he is an ass? But, if not, you missed your stop, you have to wait for the next one.The 135 does not stop at the "Cracktown" area usually. The stops they stop at is Victoria Street, then Main Street, then Homer Street. If you miss your stop, you miss your stop. You weren't harassing him.

The 135 does stop in cracktown. The Main Street stop. Regardless of which direction you're heading, it will stop at Main Street, which is pretty much the heart of cracktown.

Well yeah, but that's like maybe one person per bus.

I have another question for everyone:

So i was on the 49 today heading to metro and this very elderly chinese man snuck onto the back. A guy waiting in line (who actually didn't get to get on) told him to gtfo and get on through the front. Not only did the chinese guy prevent some people from getting on, he also stole a seat.

The guy was like 70? But i don't know, still don't feel like he had the right to do that. I would've called him out on it, but honestly i didn't wanna be that guy to yell at an old guy.

Perhaps i'm a minority, but does anyone think elders should be able to do that? I mean yeah there's the occasional teenager who does it but honestly i only mostly see old people do it these days.

It's just old Chinese men/women. Ignore them. Those are the types of Chinese people that people hate and just throws them in with all the other Chinese people in Vancouver. Those are mainland China people so they have no manners whatsoever and disregard what people think of them just cuz they want something. If you see an old Chinese person, most of the time, just ignore them.

The 135 does stop in cracktown. The Main Street stop. Regardless of which direction you're heading, it will stop at Main Street, which is pretty much the heart of cracktown.

I did not say 135 does not stop at "Cracktown". I said it usually does not stop in that area. I further state that Main street is one of the stops 135 stops at during in "Cracktown"

How about putting in that KIng George Bline first. Vancouver already has three skytrain lines. If UBC and City of Vancouver come up with two billion than I won't mind Translink putting in the third but I seriously doubt that will happen. Just more "funnel money here please" by the super entitled due to thinking they are so green Vancouver.

maybe because the 99 is the busiest bus route in north america that serves the second and third largest employment areas in the region and there is no way to further increase capacity without a desperately needed skytrain line that will benefit way more than just the people of vancouver ?

The Broadway corridor makes up some crazy amount (I forget the exact percentage... I want to say around 20-25%) of people commuting to/from work, school, etc. every day in Vancouver.

That's why it's such a big topic within the transit context... and it would be highly beneficial to the city, moreso than having a King George B-Line.

http://www.news1130....orridor-funding

If Ubc wants a skytrain to go to them they should charge everybody 50$ a semester

It's just old Chinese men/women. Ignore them. Those are the types of Chinese people that people hate and just throws them in with all the other Chinese people in Vancouver. Those are mainland China people so they have no manners whatsoever and disregard what people think of them just cuz they want something. If you see an old Chinese person, most of the time, just ignore them.

Oh my... They are the worst! So annoying how they just cut to the front of the line and push you out of the way.

Once on the bus they cant seem to talk to the person next to them without yelling so the whole bus can hear.

Why are you being such an ass? He was only asking for suggestions. How would you like it if someone acted that way towards you when you asking for advice?

I was on the 135 express, the same one I have been taking to get to/from work and my next stop was the Commercial Drive stop, the driver then asked me two dumb questions and when I answered him correctly thats when he stopped about ten-fifteen blocks after the Main St. stop. I do know it is not legal for a bus to stop after they pull away from a station. This driver recognizes me and when I wave him down from the crosswalk he closes the doors when I arrive at the door then pulls up to the light, I know there is a bus every five minutes but it's more the principle here. Anyways I made a complaint online at Translink and phoned in at 8AM regarding this issue and the very next morning two translink officers and a translink superviser were speaking with said very confused bus driver before I even arrived and when I came to the bus stop, he looked a little stunned to be honest. When I spoke with the superviser and the officers, they were a little intimidating but after telling my side of the story, they apologized for the drivers behavior and said that starting next week that the driver would be on a new route. Later on at home, I recieved a call from Translink, and they said they would be looking at the video of the 'incident'. I thanked them for being very fast in their response.

I was on the 135 express, the same one I have been taking to get to/from work and my next stop was the Commercial Drive stop, the driver then asked me two dumb questions and when I answered him correctly thats when he stopped about ten-fifteen blocks after the Main St. stop. I do know it is not legal for a bus to stop after they pull away from a station. This driver recognizes me and when I wave him down from the crosswalk he closes the doors when I arrive at the door then pulls up to the light, I know there is a bus every five minutes but it's more the principle here. Anyways I made a complaint online at Translink and phoned in at 8AM regarding this issue and the very next morning two translink officers and a translink superviser were speaking with said very confused bus driver before I even arrived and when I came to the bus stop, he looked a little stunned to be honest. When I spoke with the superviser and the officers, they were a little intimidating but after telling my side of the story, they apologized for the drivers behavior and said that starting next week that the driver would be on a new route. Later on at home, I recieved a call from Translink, and they said they would be looking at the video of the 'incident'. I thanked them for being very fast in their response.

At first I was like Commercial stop? I mixed up Victoria with Commercial, my bad. After reading your response, you are clearly not in the wrong here bud. It's great to hear that everything worked out for your so far. Good luck!

maybe because the 99 is the busiest bus route in north america that serves the second and third largest employment areas in the region and there is no way to further increase capacity without a desperately needed skytrain line that will benefit way more than just the people of vancouver ?

I don't disagree that a Broadway skytrain would be at capacity the day after it opened much like the RAV line was.

I am saying that if you want the south of fraser tax dollars to help you should consider throwing them a bone once in a while. You can't make every improvement north of the river.

The King George B-Line is set to open next year, perhaps as soon as April once the new articulated buses arrive.

I have heard that before.

And if it does it's only going to go as far as Newton.

Provide at least Bline service to the south of Fraser regional town centres. THEN we can talk about putting a three billion dollar skytrain line out to UBC.