The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

The Broadway corridor makes up some crazy amount (I forget the exact percentage... I want to say around 20-25%) of people commuting to/from work, school, etc. every day in Vancouver.

That's why it's such a big topic within the transit context... and it would be highly beneficial to the city, moreso than having a King George B-Line.

The south of Fraser region makes up a crazy amount of the property and gas taxes (and soon to be tolls) that fund all this stuff. It would be nice to at least give that area the basic service Vancouverites complain about.

The south of Fraser region makes up a crazy amount of the property and gas taxes (and soon to be tolls) that fund all this stuff. It would be nice to at least give that area the basic service Vancouverites complain about.

You keep saying that but never provide proof it's true.

You keep saying that but never provide proof it's true.

Then drop that rump of a cost burden and go it alone then. Go ahead and prove how wrong those south of fraser mayors and residents are.

It's hard to deny that with half the residents they pay plenty in property taxes and while they may pay less in fares (due to less transit) there's way more driving to contribute to the gas taxes. Has anyone done a detailed cost study to see if south of fraser residents are getting value for their money?

• 4 weeks later...

Ride TransLink free on New Year's Eve, but be prepared to dish out more tomorrow:

First, for the good news.

Starting at 5 p.m. today, bus, SkyTrain, SeaBus and West Coast Express fares will be waved until 5 a.m. tomorrow, meaning New Year’s Eve revellers will have plenty of free options to choose from while party hopping and, later, while making their way home.

The offer is in addition to TransLink’s extended holiday services, which includes additional bus service for tonight only. Check out www.translink.ca for full details, including bus times, and to plan a trip using the trip planner option.

Now, for the bad news.

At just about the same time the memories from last night become clear, transit users will discover that fares have gone up. The fare increases — effective Jan. 1 — are to cover inflation costs and to help fund past service improvements, TransLink says.

The main changes are as follows:

1 Zone (adult): $2.75 from $2.50

2 Zone (adult): $4 from $3.75

3 Zone (adult): $5.50 from $5

Monthly passes:

1 Zone (adult): $91 from $81

2 Zone (adult): $124 from $110

3 Zone (adult): $170 from $151

The cost of Faresaver cards is unaffected. A full list of details can be viewed on

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-

SkyTrain maintenance worker accused of slashing nearly 500 seats, causing $45,000 in damages:

One man has been charged after 480 SkyTrain seats were slashed over a four-month period.

Terald Nicholas Gorecki, 63, has been charged with mischief over $5,000. Gorecki was a contract maintenance worker for SkyTrain.

The damage, estimated to be about $45,000, is believed to have been done with a box cutter between August and November.

Transit Police Crime Reduction Unit reviewed hundreds of hours of video tape during the investigation.

Gorecki was released with the following conditions:

He is not to be found on any SkyTrain or B.C. Transit property and not to possess any knives or sharp instruments except for the preparation and consumption of food while in residence,

He is not to possess any tools outside his place of employment.

Gorecki will make his next court appearance in February.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/SkyTrain+maintenance+worker+charged+after+nearly+seats/7761284/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Then drop that rump of a cost burden and go it alone then. Go ahead and prove how wrong those south of fraser mayors and residents are.

It's hard to deny that with half the residents they pay plenty in property taxes and while they may pay less in fares (due to less transit) there's way more driving to contribute to the gas taxes. Has anyone done a detailed cost study to see if south of fraser residents are getting value for their money?

What about all the bridges that go pretty much solely to help south of the Fraser commuters and do nothing for people north of the Fraser?

In Toronto, the TTC used to be funded entirely from the fare box when it was limited to just the central core. When suburbia wanted service and the subway expanded, that is when it started needing extra funding.

• 3 months later...

For the compass cards; swipe to refill it with one of the 3 options shown.

To be exact: it is for tapping in and tapping out the Compass Cards. Tap on when you get on the bus and then tap off when you get off.

MasterCard, Visa, and American Express looks like will be the other type of payment cards that will be accepted in addition to the Compass.

Quick question regarding the YVR surcharge.

Say I have a 1-zone faresaver, and I'm travelling from the airport on the Canada Line. Would I have to simply just pay the fare upgrade to 2 zone, or would I have to pay the upgrade + $5 YVR surcharge as well?

• 1 month later...

@TransLink 15m

#SkyTrain - System wide hold on SkyTrain at the moment due to a police incident. Updates to come as we receive more info. ^CK

@TransLink 12m

#SkyTrain - Police incident has cleared. Thanks for your patience...may be a few delays, but system is back up and running. ^CK

Now that I live in Toronto, I can say this:

Long contiguous underground trains (8 Canada Line cars long) with full-length platforms underground is the absolute way to go.

Surface level LRT on streets are TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. Do. Not. Do. This.

Now that I live in Toronto, I can say this:

Long contiguous underground trains (8 Canada Line cars long) with full-length platforms underground is the absolute way to go.

Surface level LRT on streets are TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. Do. Not. Do. This.

There's a popular idea that people like to quote that you can build several kilometers of light rail line for each kilometer of grade separated rail, so it's clearly the way to go to expand the system faster.

Of course, the fact that it has less capacity, is slower, costs more to operate, and has to either fight other traffic or seriously slow it down don't enter to conversation.

Neither does the fact that rapid bus lines, as nicely shown with the 99 Bline stats, can rival the capacity and ridership of light rail (the 99 Bline would be among the tops in North America in that regard if measured to other light rail systems), costs less to operate, is more flexible (the "tracks" require no more than repainting to move), costs less to operate, and fits into the road system much better. Or the fact that if run on their own dedicated lanes not only does it run even better your effectively reserving a right of way for future skytrain expansion for when the ridership justifies it. Which would be soon if the experience with every other rapid bus line we have put into the lower mainland has turned out so far.....

There's a popular idea that people like to quote that you can build several kilometers of light rail line for each kilometer of grade separated rail, so it's clearly the way to go to expand the system faster.

Of course, the fact that it has less capacity, is slower, costs more to operate, and has to either fight other traffic or seriously slow it down don't enter to conversation.

Neither does the fact that rapid bus lines, as nicely shown with the 99 Bline stats, can rival the capacity and ridership of light rail (the 99 Bline would be among the tops in North America in that regard if measured to other light rail systems), costs less to operate, is more flexible (the "tracks" require no more than repainting to move), costs less to operate, and fits into the road system much better. Or the fact that if run on their own dedicated lanes not only does it run even better your effectively reserving a right of way for future skytrain expansion for when the ridership justifies it. Which would be soon if the experience with every other rapid bus line we have put into the lower mainland has turned out so far.....

Not only that, but it's not easily expandable.

Dedicated curb side lanes with trolley accordion B-lines would be amazing. Getting around town via bus during the olympics was such a pleasure because they removed the street parking and made those dedicated bus lanes. I don't mind sharing that lane with people making right turns - that's fine and doesn't impede traffic much.

Transit rules!

^ hopefully that counts as keeping things on topic.

Now my real question... has anyone been on I-5 lately? Is the problem with the collapsed bridge that happened in May impeding traffic flow at all? I had heard they were working on a temp replacement, but haven't been able to find out anything else since.