The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Get rid of cars, introduce rapid transit that uses electricity. We would become a much more green city.

So.... if I'm going to Costco to shop for my family with enough stuff to fill up the trunk, I am supposed to use public transit?

Good to know in your ideal world, it's gonna make my 1 hour trip into a 5 hour one. Great!

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Study+reveals+women+targets+unwanted+transit+harassment/9079942/story.html

Some sickening stories about female transit experiences.

I'm interested if anyone has seen or heard of similar stuff happening to this. Luckily I haven't because I don't use the skytrain and the bus sparingly at peak hours never at night.

http://www.theprovin...9942/story.html

I'm interested if anyone has seen or heard of similar stuff happening to this. Luckily I haven't because I don't use the skytrain and the bus sparingly at peak hours never at night.

There are low-lifes everywhere in Vancouver, so transit wouldn't be any different.

If women are being harassed on the bus/train and if there are other people on-board (assuming it's not completely packed), just yell at the guy to stop. Chances are that person would be too embarrassed and will leave. If things escalate.... there might be a few who believe that chivalry still isn't dead.

Yeah, I hate having to spend $40 bucks a month on that

I never use it. Wish it was optional.

Me too; however, that'd result in the scrapping of the program (which would screw all the commuters over). The only way they can afford to create such subsidized passes is by charging everybody for it, unfortunately.

I'm a woman, and last night I was riding the sky train to Vancouver and there was a drunk homeless looking guy who apparently was reaching out to grab my ass while I was turned around to let a stroller out. My sister was sitting on the seat nearby and said he was moving in slow motion almost, like he was deciding whether or not to do it. That's the closest experience like that I've ever had on the sky train. Of course I don't ride it that much.

http://www.theprovin...9942/story.html

yeah this stuff happens quite often when the trains and busses are packed-- it's mostly on the trains i've noticed. it's pretty nasty. back in july, one of my friends had her pits felt up by a middle aged asian guy, when she was standing and had to hold the top bar while holding groceries with her other hand. then a transit security who was standing at the door pulled the guy off her and wrote him a ticket at nanaimo.

she's had passed experiences like that before with guys grabbing rubbing on her or sniffing her hair/neck and stuff, but those times when there wasn't a train cop around someone would yell at whoever was making her feel uncomfortable and they would just get off at the next stop. kinda sucky since she relies on the skytrain to get around

i've mostly found this happens more during the summer time when ladies are wearing less clothing, especially skirts. there are perverts who place cameras in bags or something else to snap or record under ladies' skirts

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

yeah this stuff happens quite often when the trains and busses are packed-- it's mostly on the trains i've noticed. it's pretty nasty. back in july, one of my friends had her pits felt up by a middle aged asian guy, when she was standing and had to hold the top bar while holding groceries with her other hand. then a transit security who was standing at the door pulled the guy off her and wrote him a ticket at nanaimo.

she's had passed experiences like that before with guys grabbing rubbing on her or sniffing her hair/neck and stuff, but those times when there wasn't a train cop around someone would yell at whoever was making her feel uncomfortable and they would just get off at the next stop. kinda sucky since she relies on the skytrain to get around

i've mostly found this happens more during the summer time when ladies are wearing less clothing, especially skirts. there are perverts who place cameras in bags or something else to snap or record under ladies' skirts

I remember hearing about how someone was visiting Japan and she kept being touched inappropriately. She immediately grab the hand really hard and turned to yell at the guy's face... "WTF! Stop touching me!!!!" That guy couldn't disappear any faster, lol.

Also, wasn't there a story a few years back about how some guy was sexual assaulting some teen on the bus and when other passengers noticed, a whole bunch of them started pounding the perpetrator?

Ladies... someone doing something unwanted to you... just scream at them or give them a free knuckle sandwich. Chances are those cowards will run with their tails between their legs. Those being more aggressive.... vigilantism will solve that B)

I hate the UPass. It's a gigantic waste of money for me. Even in my peak transit use months I end up spending double what I would if I bought single trip tickets.

Yeah, I hate having to spend $40 bucks a month on that

I never use it. Wish it was optional.

Me too; however, that'd result in the scrapping of the program (which would screw all the commuters over). The only way they can afford to create such subsidized passes is by charging everybody for it, unfortunately.

Sell the U-Pass people. It's not that hard. :picard:

I'm a woman, and last night I was riding the sky train to Vancouver and there was a drunk homeless looking guy who apparently was reaching out to grab my ass while I was turned around to let a stroller out. My sister was sitting on the seat nearby and said he was moving in slow motion almost, like he was deciding whether or not to do it. That's the closest experience like that I've ever had on the sky train. Of course I don't ride it that much.

It's unfortunate but you really need to be careful on the Skytrain.

I moved a little while ago and started taking the WCE instead of the Skytrain, it's a little more expensive but it's more than worth it. The ride is much safer and cleaner.

But the WCE can have it's fair share of idiots too. On the train I take every morning there is a blind woman with her seeing eye dog. As we all go up the escalator people obviously can't get by her and her dog. I can't count the number of times some idiot has shouted out something rude to her about blocking the escalating. I even had one guy tell me she should be forced to wait for everyone to get off the train before she's allowed off. I laid into the guy saying she has as much right to be on the train and escalator as we do.

• Upvote 2

It's unfortunate but you really need to be careful on the Skytrain.

I moved a little while ago and started taking the WCE instead of the Skytrain, it's a little more expensive but it's more than worth it. The ride is much safer and cleaner.

But the WCE can have it's fair share of idiots too. On the train I take every morning there is a blind woman with her seeing eye dog. As we all go up the escalator people obviously can't get by her and her dog. I can't count the number of times some idiot has shouted out something rude to her about blocking the escalating. I even had one guy tell me she should be forced to wait for everyone to get off the train before she's allowed off. I laid into the guy saying she has as much right to be on the train and escalator as we do.

As much as she should exercise caution, someone or some body needs to take care of this kind of harassment that happens. Either have the public step up and humiliate the drunk and the idiot on the escalator or... fix it somehow.

It's like what's going on at UBC right now. It's not her fault that this happened and it's not the blind woman's fault either. So people need to find a way to get the douches to F off.

• 2 weeks later...

Translink says there are delays on the Expoline due to a medical emergency. SkyTrain service will run from Nanaimo Station to Waterfront Station and back, and service from King George Station will go as far as Edmonds Station and back. Millennium Line will run from VCC-Clark to Columbia Station and back. A bus bridge is setting up right now and will run from Nanaimo Station to Patterson Station.

I find the etiquette and common courtesy on the skytrains very lacking.

It seems that many don't seem to understand the concept of letting passengers out first before getting in.

People purposely budge in front of you while you're waiting... even though you're just barely behind the yellow line... to make sure some idiot doesn't accidentally nudge you onto the tracks.

How many people don't even take off their backpacks when it's crowded... I mean "hello? are you an moron? ever noticed I placed my duffel bag on the ground to avoid it smacking into other people?"

Passengers just hug/lean on the bars, thus preventing anybody else from holding on without it being awkward. If you don't mind my hands brushing your breasts missy, back away from the bar handles!

Not covering up when sneezing or coughing... I understand if you're like 3... but for god's sake you're an adult... behave like one!

Those sitting down and not letting an elderly, pregnant/with young kids, or disabled/injured people have a seat. You see so many healthy guys and girls just not getting up for those who may needs those seats more. I get it if you were actually dozing off and you didn't notice... but when I can clearly see you looking up and about and not doing anything... it annoys me to no end. Heck, I go to work, then head to the gym afterwards for 2 hours and I still give up my seat. What's your excuse?

For a "world class" city, transit riders are certainly classless....

/rant