The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

I remember this happening before, and the people on the trains that were not at stations pried the doors open and walked along beside the tracks.  It's the Posiden Adventure concept.  Do people do what they are told, and stay put, or do they choose their own path?  I think Sky train officials don't say how long the stoppage will be because they know people will just get off the trains - no matter where - and walk.

One of the times it happened it was going to be around a 10 minute delay.  Some idiot decided to "choose his own path" and caused the system to be down for over an hour.

As for last night. I got stuck in that disaster trying to get down to The Vogue for Jim Jefferies.  Go into King George station and everything seems normal.  Go over and buy our tickets and proceed to head up to the platform.  Get to the top and its wall to wall people.  There are to translink employees on the other side of the tracks just standing around doing nothing.  Talked to a gu and he said he's been standing there for around 20 minutes.  No one knew what was going on.

20 minutes?  What the hell were the 2 workers doing just standing around?  They should have been down in the station telling people the train was down before they bought their tickets.

We stood around for around 10 minutes with still no response from translink.  I made the decision at that point to cab it as we would have missed the show.  Get to the bottom and all the gates are locked.  Worker at the side door telling everyone the station is closed as the system is shut down.  All the people on the platform were totally unaware of this.  The other guy was slowly heading up the stairs to tell everyone.  Total lack of communication. 

Cost us $73 bucks for the cab.  As far as I'm concerned, now that translink has the compass cards.  It's time they start reimbursing people with pre loaded cards for their ineptness.

Well I guess they have to cover the liability end of things and it becomes an "at your own risk" deal after establishing guidelines.

But it's rather scary TO have to stay put...so many scenarios can play out in cramped quarters.  Medical distress/anxiety, agitation that can result in people lashing out in frustration.  It's best if people make the most of it and keep it lighthearted, but some don't.

yup, if only people kept that attitude in all aspects, then we would all be better for it.  There is one universal language: the human smile.  

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, MikeGillis58 said:

What is the point of having fare gates when most of them are still wide open at skytrain stations? Such a waste of money! I see a lot of passengers just walk pass the open gates without tapping. 

It's because the gates are not full accessible. I sure with the stupid Liberals hadn't forced translink to install these things. No one, including translink wanted them.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2438633/translink-keeping-compass-card-gates-open-for-paralyzed-users/

The card reader is so weak, I can't even tap with the card in my wallet like when in Japan. 

What the missus found really inefficient is that the gates are closed and only opens when your pass works, which is very very slow.  In Japan, the gates are open, and only closes when you don't have a pass, invalid ticket, no money, etc.  It makes passing through so much quicker. 

https://youtu.be/lktBTPWioLw?t=3m7s

This bridge looks a bit like one down Vancouver way

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/northern-ontario-bridge-fails-in-cold-severing-trans-canada-highway/ar-CCmx9C?li=AAggNb9&ocid=AARDHP

"

A newly constructed bridge in northern Ontario has reportedly split apart in the cold, closing the Trans-Canada highway — the only road connecting Eastern and Western Canada — indefinitely.

The Nipigon River Bridge has been closed for "an indefinite time due to mechanical issues," according to the Ontario Provincial Police. Local reports suggest an expansion joint has failed.

• 1 month later...

TransLink closing all SkyTrain and SeaBus fare gates April 8:

TransLink is closing all of its fare gates at its SeaBus terminals and SkyTrain stations as of April 8, meaning only those with a Compass card or Compass ticket will be able to enter and leave them.

"We've arrived at this exciting stage by rolling out Compass in phases and listening to customers along the way to make sure we get it right for them," said Cathy McLay, TransLink Acting CEO, in a written statement.

"More than 675,000 customers have made the switch to Compass and we are confident our customers are ready for this transition to a fully closed, gated system."

The closures will begin on April 4 and will be completed by April 8. TransLink said it tested the closures at almost 20 stations throughout February. 

Customers will still be able to use cash and Faresaver tickets on buses, but they'll have to change over to the Compass system if they transfer to the SkyTrain or SeaBus. 

TransLink began to install the fare gates in 2011. They were originally scheduled to be in place by 2010 and the implementation was rescheduled several times since then. 

Station assistance for people with disabilities

TransLink says it has been working with people with disabilities on issues with the fare gate closures.

Advocacy groups had said some people with mobility issues aren't able to access the gates to tap in and tap out. 

In response to that criticism, TransLink says it is implementing a station assistance service to help customers who need it at fare gates, including elevators. 

"We look forward to working with TransLink to continue to explore a range of options to ensure the transit system is inclusive and accessible for everyone," said Pam Horton, board member of the Disability Alliance of B.C.. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/translink-fare-gates-compass-card-1.3471776

On 1/8/2016 at 7:28 PM, kurtzfan said:

130 is always fully packed around 3pm. Over 30 BCIT and high school waited in line. 

We need more #130 bus during peak hours on weekdays. 

During peak hours in the afternoon and evening times, you could take the 125, which takes you to Patterson Station, and it's a double bus.

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-

I would just like to mention how ridiculous the Skytrain gate readers are.  Putting my wallet to the scanner works on the bus, but not our goddamned mass transit system.  You've got to take out the card and put it against the scanner.  No transit scanner is that crappy anywhere else.  Also, there's only what, 3 gates per entrance?  The whole system is complete garbage.

15 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Also, there's only what, 3 gates per entrance?

This is a problem too. This must happen a number of times during the day, where a group of people are getting off the bus and heading towards a SkyTrain Station, and simultaneously, people getting off the train and heading out of the SkyTrain Station. Since there is no real 'Enter' or 'Exit', you end up waiting for the other group of people to go first, and they look at you thinking the same. I agree, the system is atrocious.

Translink should have just bought 2nd hand stuff from Japan or something. 

mg_9279.jpg

Not sure the exact mechanism, but some of those gates will alternate the Enter/Exit to make the movement of people as quick as possible.  They're arranged wider than what Translink has now.  Large enough to go through with a single luggage. 

17 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Also, there's only what, 3 gates per entrance?  The whole system is complete garbage.

Have to wonder what they are going to do at Stadium after Canucks/Lions games.  Unless they keep all of them open it's going to be a nightmare.

On 1/8/2016 at 10:39 PM, Lancaster said:

The card reader is so weak, I can't even tap with the card in my wallet like when in Japan. 

What the missus found really inefficient is that the gates are closed and only opens when your pass works, which is very very slow.  In Japan, the gates are open, and only closes when you don't have a pass, invalid ticket, no money, etc.  It makes passing through so much quicker. 

https://youtu.be/lktBTPWioLw?t=3m7s

An example of what you can expect in an extremely high-trust society...

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not sure the exact mechanism, but some of those gates will alternate the Enter/Exit to make the movement of people as quick as possible.

Now, that makes more sense. Not sure how that would be implemented here though. Translink would have to do some major overhauling to all the gates they've already set up. I guess we're stuck with the current gates for some time now, as Translink clearly didn't think ahead of some problems that could occur. Ugh.

On 3/2/2016 at 5:48 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

I would just like to mention how ridiculous the Skytrain gate readers are.  Putting my wallet to the scanner works on the bus, but not our goddamned mass transit system.  You've got to take out the card and put it against the scanner.  No transit scanner is that crappy anywhere else.  Also, there's only what, 3 gates per entrance?  The whole system is complete garbage.

Tell me about it, even the manila transit has a better card reader and they actually have way more than 3 gates. I wonder why they opted to only put 3 gates instead of 6 or 7 at the minimum.