The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

8 hours ago, Green Building said:

So Translink's response is to make it crappy and inefficient? Come on.

Go look into the implementation of these cards globally and tell me how much more badly translink has done it. Is it perfect? Of course not. But they didn't want it in the first place (so place your ragy angst where it belongs--with the idiotic liberals).

29 minutes ago, inane said:

Go look into the implementation of these cards globally and tell me how much more badly translink has done it. Is it perfect? Of course not. But they didn't want it in the first place (so place your ragy angst where it belongs--with the idiotic liberals).

Ok, I'll remove my foot from my mouth for part of that, but the idiotic liberals surely could not have been the ones to design 3 turnstiles for high traffic locations. 

Honest question that may have been covered on another page, what would have happened if Translink said "no" to the Compass Card. Funding withdrawn? No project? A continuation of displeasure toward both parties by users that leads to what? Besides travel chaos. 

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Ok, I'll remove my foot from my mouth for part of that, but the idiotic liberals surely could not have been the ones to design 3 turnstiles for high traffic locations. 

Honest question that may have been covered on another page, what would have happened if Translink said "no" to the Compass Card. Funding withdrawn? No project? A continuation of displeasure toward both parties by users that leads to what? Besides travel chaos. 

They can't say no. That's the stupidity of the current system. 

The Province runs translink. They like to say they don't and that translink is independent and makes it's own decisions etc...but when push comes to shove, the province just tells them what to do. Or what they can't do. This whole debacle falls at the feet of the province.

3 minutes ago, inane said:

They can't say no. That's the stupidity of the current system. 

The Province runs translink. They like to say they don't and that translink is independent and makes it's own decisions etc...but when push comes to shove, the province just tells them what to do. Or what they can't do. This whole debacle falls at the feet of the province.

Spoiler

well, that's b u l l s h i t 

• 1 month later...

Breaking: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced $460 million in federal funding for public transportation in B.C., including $370 million for Metro Vancouver. Trudeau said the money will be used to buy a new SeaBus to service the North Shore, complete transit projects, and add additional rail cars to Canada Line and SkyTrain lines.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/trudeau-pledges-460m-for-b-c-transit-projects-1.2948345

• 1 month later...

Last of Compass fare gates to close Monday:

TransLink says the last of the open Compass Card fare gates will close on Monday, July 25th.

The transit authority says more than one in three people are now using the fare cards.

It will still be a year before people unable to tap a compass card can use so-called “Proximity-sensor entrances.”

In the meantime, TransLink recommends those passengers plan ahead.

http://www.cknw.com/2016/07/19/last-of-compass-fare-gates-to-close-monday/

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious about the compass card. I'm paying $124 for an adult 2 zone monthly compass card. If I obtain a concession compass card, I can travel 3 zone for just $52. Will this work? I know the concession card is orange color but I can make it blue color by tapping a deactivated blue card on top of it. 

23 minutes ago, MikeGillis58 said:

Just curious about the compass card. I'm paying $124 for an adult 2 zone monthly compass card. If I obtain a concession compass card, I can travel 3 zone for just $52. Will this work? I know the concession card is orange color but I can make it blue color by tapping a deactivated blue card on top of it. 

Scummy move, I assume when they check your card it shows what type of card it is.

1 hour ago, MikeGillis58 said:

It would "work" in terms of getting you access, but would not work if you get fare-checked since you would likely need ID proving you are eligible for a concession fare. Is that risk worth it? That's up to you to decide.

Amazing how people will always find ways to circumvent the system... Then they'll probably turn around and complain about Translink's shortcomings and budget.

Can't believe you got a minus for an idea to cheat the system we all subsidize with our tax dollars.  aren't there enough losers cheating the system, and riding without ever paying?

• Upvote 1

Buy a skateboard and hold on to the back of the bus. 

What could go wrong?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

TransLink transit fares increasing on July 1:

Fares on Metro Vancouver’s public transit system will be increasing slightly to help support the cost of improving and expanding transit infrastructure.

TransLink announced today that fares will go up on Saturday, July 1, marking the first time fares have increased in more than five years.

Single-use concession fares will increase by 5¢ and single-use adult fares will go up by 10¢.

Compass Card users who use stored value will continue to receive a discounted fare that is lower than customers who use cash.

Fares for all zones will increase by the same amount to reduce the impact on those who travel across multiple zones.

Those who use monthly passes will see their fares increase by between $1 and $2 per month, depending on the number of zones.

These fare increases were approved in an open board meeting by the Mayors’ Council on March 30.

Subject to further approval by the Mayors’ Council, there will be annual fare increases over the next three years.

Compared to 2016 rates, adult passengers could be paying 25¢ more for single-trip cash fares, 30¢ more for Compass Card stored value fares, and $7 more for monthly passes by 2019.

These smaller, annual fare increases are designed to limit the effect on passengers as previous major increases at the start of the decade discouraged some people from using transit and reduced fare revenues.

translink-fares-2017.jpg

Planned transit fare increases in Metro Vancouver from 2017 to 2019. (TransLink)

The fare increases are needed to support the $2-billion Phase One transit improvement plan, which consists of expanded bus service including five new B-Line routes, more frequent SeaBus service, frequency increases to SkyTrain service, the acquisition of new additional train cars for all three lines, and a third SeaBus.

By 2020, it is anticipated that TransLink will implement a new fare system that could potentially abolish the existing three-zone system in favour of a distance-travelled fare system made possible with Compass Card technology.

The public transit authority is currently in the process of conducting a review of its fare system, which is the first time it has conducted a review of its fare structure in more than three decades.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-transit-fares-increase-2017