The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

The Lower mainland needs to get rid of some of the two lane roads and put in public transit only roads. Make it so public transit is the only efficient way to get around. Then they need to make all trucking become a nightshift with in the boundaries of the city. Unless there are emergencies. But those emergencies will need to be validated by someone working an emergency hub and forms need to be filled in triplicate Then double stamped at two different locations.

What about after that

And what does conceptual alignment mean?

And can you post about the new buses/skytrain cars like you do in those other posts with lots of pictures and detailed explanation :D YOu are so good at that

Translink is currently working on a 2040 plan, it hasn't thought that far ahead yet...

Conceptual alignment just means that the train route will be in that corridor shown in the map (the precise route has yet to be decided....for example, for the UBC extension it'll either be along Broadway or one block south along 10th Avenue where it will be much less disruptive to build. The 10th Avenue plan would still have the station entrances located on Broadway).

As for the last bit, not today. :P

But that's the thing -- I don't actually see that HAPPENING. Otherwise, I'd love it too.

A Canada Line extension to Steveston is 30-years away.....nobody saw the Expo Line being extended so far into Surrey either when they built it in 1986.

But such an extension to Steveston would require a huge beefing up of the Canada Line's capacity....i.e. much longer station platforms.

A Canada Line extension to Steveston is 30-years away.....nobody saw the Expo Line being extended so far into Surrey either when they built it in 1986.

But such an extension to Steveston would require a huge beefing up of the Canada Line's capacity....i.e. much longer station platforms.

If so, then there'd finally be a use for the huge former railroad track area along Railway, which would be nice to see.

But seeing how TransLink has neglected the No. 1 Road and Railway corridors over the years doesn't give me much optimism.

Edited by BuckyHermit

Translink is currently working on a 2040 plan, it hasn't thought that far ahead yet...

Conceptual alignment just means that the train route will be in that corridor shown in the map (the precise route has yet to be decided....for example, for the UBC extension it'll either be along Broadway or one block south along 10th Avenue where it will be much less disruptive to build. The 10th Avenue plan would still have the station entrances located on Broadway).

As for the last bit, not today. :P

Cna you explain about the new rapid buses and new buses and trains tho?

The Lower mainland needs to get rid of some of the two lane roads and put in public transit only roads. Make it so public transit is the only efficient way to get around. Then they need to make all trucking become a nightshift with in the boundaries of the city. Unless there are emergencies. But those emergencies will need to be validated by someone working an emergency hub and forms need to be filled in triplicate Then double stamped at two different locations.

That would be a terrible idea.....every city needs road capacity, not that we should build more in Vancouver but we should maintain what we have now.

A better idea would be to raise the gas tax, introduce a per-km driven car insurance plan system, and introduce electronic tolls at all the major crossings in the region between 6am to 7pm:

CAR - $2.50; CARGO TRUCK - $5.00; COMMERCIAL VEHICLE/COACH BUS - $5.00

- Arthur Laing Bridge

- Oak Street Bridge

- Knight Street Bridge

- Alex Fraser Bridge

- Golden Ears Bridge

- Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Crossing

- Lions Gate Bridge

- Pattullo Bridge

- Pitt River Bridge

- Port Mann Bridge

- Queensborough Bridge

- George Massey Tunnel

- Sea-to-Sky Highway at Eaglebluffs Ridge

Tolling would be done electronically, where cameras would scan your license plate as your car zooms past the electronic tolling station without stopping.

toll-graphic.jpg

800px-Betalstation_Liljeholmen.JPG

A bill is sent to the vehicle owner at the end of each month. The bill must be paid before the end of the next month. The vehicle owner is responsible for the payment of the tax, even if the bill does not arrive.

In Europe, this is more commonly called a congestion tax and has done wonders to...reducing congestion. People are thinking twice about bringing out their cars onto the road, and are instead taking transit. When congestion taxes were introduced in London and Stockholm, car traffic on roads went down by 25-30% and transit use shot up by 20+%.

As well, the revenue generated from tolls could go towards building and operating transit services. Such a plan would require a huge beefing up and expansion of the Lower Mainland's transit system to cope with the explosion in demand. It could easily give Translink an additional $200-250-million to spend each year.

Cna you explain about the new rapid buses and new buses and trains tho?

Rapid Bus

- large bus shelters that look like light rail stations, all door boarding, electronic displays, maps, ticket machines

- high level station platforms for high level buses

- bus only, grade-separated (or at-grade exclusive) right-of-way

- high frequency

- traffic signal priority

- high level floor articulated buses

phileas_02%20cropped.jpg

image011.jpg

brt_bogota.jpg

BRT-718460.jpg

CivisVehicles.jpg

Bogota_station_1.jpg

brt9.gif

Mex_biartic.jpg

Rapid Bus

- large bus shelters that look like light rail stations, all door boarding, electronic displays, maps, ticket machines

- high level station platforms for high level buses

- bus only, grade-separated (or at-grade exclusive) right-of-way

- high frequency

- traffic signal priority

- high level floor articulated buses

phileas_02%20cropped.jpg

image011.jpg

brt_bogota.jpg

BRT-718460.jpg

CivisVehicles.jpg

Bogota_station_1.jpg

brt9.gif

Mex_biartic.jpg

Oh I like those

Do these things have their own lanes?

Of course or else these things wouldn't have high frequency and nor would they be fast and on time

That would be a terrible idea.....every city needs road capacity, not that we should build more in Vancouver but we should maintain what we have now.

A better idea would be to raise the gas tax, introduce a per-km driven car insurance plan system, and introduce electronic tolls at all the major crossings in the region between 6am to 7pm:

CAR - $2.50; CARGO TRUCK - $5.00; COMMERCIAL VEHICLE/COACH BUS - $5.00

- Arthur Laing Bridge

- Oak Street Bridge

- Knight Street Bridge

- Alex Fraser Bridge

- Golden Ears Bridge

- Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Crossing

- Lions Gate Bridge

- Pattullo Bridge

- Pitt River Bridge

- Port Mann Bridge

- Queensborough Bridge

- George Massey Tunnel

- Sea-to-Sky Highway at Eaglebluffs Ridge

Tolling would be done electronically, where cameras would scan your license plate as your car zooms past the electronic tolling station without stopping.

I like how you've effectively cut off Richmond from any other suburbs around it.

Now let's all take a step backwards and go back to the feudal system.

^ how did i cut it off? it's not like i suggested to blow up the bridges leading into Richmond.

The bridges act as a perfect place to set tolls. The whole point of this is to get a lot more people throughout the region out of their cars and into transit, which will see great expansion in the suburbs.

Edited by nitronuts

Prepare to hear a lot of whining from me about the 491 and 496 routes.

Prepare to hear a lot of whining from me about the 496 routes in the afternoon! (around 3-4pm)

Most of the time 98 B line buses are full!!! Min. (2X)

496 is quite full. We don't get a seat even we can get in!!!

The problem with the toll bridges, is soon people are going to be b*tching about how it cost to much and then were going to have to hear it, I personally have no problem with the whole toll bridge thing, but I'm pretty sure 85% of those bridge users will

Edited by aerodynamicanuck

The problem with the toll bridges, is soon people are going to be b*tching about how it cost to much and then were going to have to hear it, I personally have no problem with the whole toll bridge thing, but I'm pretty sure 85% of those bridge users will

Of course they'll female dog, in fact it could cause the government that introduced it to lose the next election. But it's a proven and effective way to lowering traffic, congestion, pollution, and increasing transit use....and all at a same time, a healthier lifestyle with people walking and taking transit.

Don't count anyone in this province to have the balls to do that.

Edited by nitronuts

Of course they'll female dog, in fact it could cause the government that introduced it to lose the next election. But it's a proven and effective way to lowering traffic, congestion, pollution, and increasing transit use....and all at a same time, a healthier lifestyle with people walking and taking transit.

Don't count anyone in this province to have the balls to do that.

Haha the last thing you stated is absolutely true, we British Colombians are strange creatures

Well, either way Translink needs to find more revenue streams or it'll see massive deficits starting in four years.

By 2012, just four years away, TransLink is expecting a budgetary shortfall of $150 million. Add to that the cost of financing $2.75 billion in new buses, new SkyTrain lines, and new infrastructure over a decade -- about $250 million to $300 million a year. Total annual shortfall: $450 million.

Here's the tough choices we have to make: cut service (difficult when there's such a high demand for transit but such a low supply), or forget about all the new trains and buses (difficult for the same reason), or go looking for dollars.

Those would have to come from road tolls, fare hikes, property tax hikes, or a levy on car owners (tried but abandoned by the NDP government in 2000).

In my opinion, we need road tolls and a car levy to get that money we need. As well, the province needs to subsidize Translink's operations. Like how the province subsidizes BC Ferries every year, it should do the same for Translink....give the company $100-million a year.

Edited by nitronuts

Well, either way Translink needs to find more revenue streams or it'll see massive deficits starting in four years.

By 2012, just four years away, TransLink is expecting a budgetary shortfall of $150 million. Add to that the cost of financing $2.75 billion in new buses, new SkyTrain lines, and new infrastructure over a decade -- about $250 million to $300 million a year. Total annual shortfall: $450 million.

Here's the tough choices we have to make: cut service (difficult when there's such a high demand for transit but such a low supply), or forget about all the new trains and buses (difficult for the same reason), or go looking for dollars.

Those would have to come from road tolls, fare hikes, property tax hikes, or a levy on car owners (tried but abandoned by the NDP government in 2000).

In my opinion, we need road tolls and a car levy to get that money we need. As well, the province needs to subsidize Translink's operations. Like how the province subsidizes BC Ferries every year, it should do the same for Translink....give the company $100-million a year.

You should be an adviser, cause clearly translink/government aren't getting it through there head fast enough, they should start all that today, shouldn't they?

You should be an adviser, cause clearly translink/government aren't getting it through there head fast enough, they should start all that today, shouldn't they?

The problem is that the people in charge of Translink and who do all the planning don't ride transit themselves. They're also bogged down on doing countless and time consuming studies, taking years and years.

As well, there's a lot of politics involved within Translink and that's dictated by the Ministry of Transportation. Under the new Translink, whatever the transportation authority does is linked back to the provincial government and thus could hurt them in the polls.

A year ago, you'd have local politicians squabbling for months or even years over decisions.....this was when local city counsellors and mayors formed the Translink board of directors. You may remember that it took them three votes (first two were NO outcomes) and an entire year to approve the Canada Line. And what's even more outrageous is that every three years, there's a new Translink board and all the ideas and plans are flushed away and they have to start from anew.

And then you have the provincial government forcing the Canada Line project to become a private-public project, without thinking twice that with such limited public funding and so much financial and design responsibility given to the private sector they would cut on the Canada Line's scope and design. And which they did. 40-metre platforms, half the length of SkyTrain's stations.

If you ask me, transportation and urban planning needs more autonomy from the political process. It needs to be run by professionals, and that's what we have with the new Translink board of directors.

Edited by nitronuts