9531 replies to this topic

#9331 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Raise fares which will cut demand and up revenue then.

Raise fares so fewer people ride (impacting of course the poorest that really rely on transit) but they pay more? Sounds like a great plan. Really fantastic.

And the plan from Translink

http://www.translink...onsibility.aspx

B-line to Newton.

Edited by inane, 17 September 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#9332 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well the three year plan is in and it looks like there will be a King George B-line but only as far as Newton. So I am guaranteed three more years of not having any sort of rapid transit despite living and working walking distance from two transit nodes. I will be putting in a letter to the mayor later this week noting my objections and how we will never get service.

However, I will recommend a compromise. And this one might work as it would also provide revenue.

I recognize that it is more expensive to run buses to far off places like White Rock and Langley. As such, I propose putting in a fourth zone which would include Twassen and it's ferries and the port, South Surrey/White Rock, Cloverdale, and the Langleys.

In return make the King George Bline run to White Rock and on the full schedule, make the Langely express bus on it's ten minute schedule, run a Bline down Fraser Highway to Willowbrook Mall.

Rough prices for a four zone one way fair of $6.50 and a monthly pass for $190. For someone like me going to work in Burnaby would be a three zone pass but if I was going all the way downtown for a canucks game during peak hours it would be an additional $1.50.

In addition for trips three or more zones even in off peak charge the two zone rate. So if I had a three zone pass it would be covered but if I was paying cash it would be 3.75 to get home from work or the canucks game during off peak.

#9333 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well the three year plan is in and it looks like there will be a King George B-line but only as far as Newton. So I am guaranteed three more years of not having any sort of rapid transit despite living and working walking distance from two transit nodes. I will be putting in a letter to the mayor later this week noting my objections and how we will never get service.

However, I will recommend a compromise. And this one might work as it would also provide revenue.

I recognize that it is more expensive to run buses to far off places like White Rock and Langley. As such, I propose putting in a fourth zone which would include Twassen and it's ferries and the port, South Surrey/White Rock, Cloverdale, and the Langleys.

In return make the King George Bline run to White Rock and on the full schedule, make the Langely express bus on it's ten minute schedule, run a Bline down Fraser Highway to Willowbrook Mall.

Rough prices for a four zone one way fair of $6.50 and a monthly pass for $190. For someone like me going to work in Burnaby would be a three zone pass but if I was going all the way downtown for a canucks game during peak hours it would be an additional $1.50.

In addition for trips three or more zones even in off peak charge the two zone rate. So if I had a three zone pass it would be covered but if I was paying cash it would be 3.75 to get home from work or the canucks game during off peak.

#9334 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Raise fares so fewer people ride (impacting of course the poorest that really rely on transit) but they pay more? Sounds like a great plan. Really fantastic.

B-line to Newton.

As you see from above I would be happy to raise the fare to places that have no transit worth taking in the first place in the hopes of making something that's worth getting on actually exist.

#9335 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

See what you did there?

Here's more on congestion: http://www.planetizen.com/node/58429

#9336 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

See what you did there?

Here's more on congestion: http://www.planetizen.com/node/58429

Yep. I figured out a way to make transit a realistic option for many people south of fraser AND I figured out a way to help fund it.

If even that isn't good enough it makes me wonder why White Rock and the Langleys are even part of translink when all we do is get taxed but have next to no service.

#9337 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yep. I figured out a way to make transit a realistic option for many people south of fraser AND I figured out a way to help fund it.

If even that isn't good enough it makes me wonder why White Rock and the Langleys are even part of translink when all we do is get taxed but have next to no service.

No, you say you're by two transit nodes (don't know how you figure that) but that you're in a 'far off place'. Anyway, you're just exaggerating for fun and cause it makes you feel good. You never provide links or evidence for anything you say, just anecdotal stories, so have fun.

#9338 No5Butcher

No5Butcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

B-line to Newton.

I've long thought that raising fares is a good idea, provided subsidised passes are available to those of lower income.

I have no issue with subsidising overall transit costs, whether it be through gas taxes or property taxes. But the fact I am subsidising the transit rides of people who make well more than I do (or even comparable wages), does bother me. Those who can easily afford paying the actual cost of the service should be paying closer to that cost IMO.

I have not seen any serious studies done on it, but would expect that an increase in the cost (provided low wage earners do not see an increase) would generate only a small reduction in the amount of users. Considering the cost of operating a late model car is ~50 cents per kilometre and how expensive parking is in some places, it would take a huge raise in transit prices for it to become the less affordable option. I have the shortest commute of anyone I work with, have free parking and taking transit still comes out close to $3000/year cheaper than driving.

Unfortuneately, due to where I work, taking transit would add 45 minutes to each side of my commute. Since I value my time, I have not made the switch to transit yet. But, I am exploring job options and you can bet that if I end up working somewhere where the transit options make sense, I'll be on transit every weekday morning.

#9339 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

People don't pay for tickets, that's how.

How can you not pay for your tickets when you get on the bus? The bus driver checks their fares.

Posted Image

#9340 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

How can you not pay for your tickets when you get on the bus? The bus driver checks their fares.

Hop on the back door. It can be easily done on the articulated trolleys at major stops and the 99 B-Line.

Posted Image

#9341 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hop on the back door. It can be easily done on the articulated trolleys at major stops and the 99 B-Line.

Well yeah, but that's like maybe one person per bus.

I have another question for everyone:

So i was on the 49 today heading to metro and this very elderly chinese man snuck onto the back. A guy waiting in line (who actually didn't get to get on) told him to gtfo and get on through the front. Not only did the chinese guy prevent some people from getting on, he also stole a seat.

The guy was like 70? But i don't know, still don't feel like he had the right to do that. I would've called him out on it, but honestly i didn't wanna be that guy to yell at an old guy.

Perhaps i'm a minority, but does anyone think elders should be able to do that? I mean yeah there's the occasional teenager who does it but honestly i only mostly see old people do it these days.

Posted Image

#9342 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I have another question for everyone:

So i was on the 49 today heading to metro and this very elderly chinese man snuck onto the back. A guy waiting in line (who actually didn't get to get on) told him to gtfo and get on through the front. Not only did the chinese guy prevent some people from getting on, he also stole a seat.

The guy was like 70? But i don't know, still don't feel like he had the right to do that. I would've called him out on it, but honestly i didn't wanna be that guy to yell at an old guy.

Perhaps i'm a minority, but does anyone think elders should be able to do that? I mean yeah there's the occasional teenager who does it but honestly i only mostly see old people do it these days.

That may be true for a regular bus but not the 99. It's designated as all door boarding. Every time I've taken it the vast majority of people have used the back two doors regardless of how busy it is.

rsz_avs.jpg

#9343 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I can guarantee it is not one person per bus especially on the 99 B-Line. That route is so busy that it's nearly impossible to check for fares thus no fear of getting caught for not paying the fare. It's so busy that even a honest person would probably hop on the bus from the back in order to get a seat rather than waiting in line at the front door to pay the fare.

Posted Image

#9344 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Speaking of the #49 route, am I the only one that noticed it seems like they're running drastically fewer artics this fall? I remember last year, it was artic after artic between maybe 3pm and 8pm?

Posted Image

#9345 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Someone's never taken the 99 b-line
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#9346 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

No, you say you're by two transit nodes (don't know how you figure that) but that you're in a 'far off place'. Anyway, you're just exaggerating for fun and cause it makes you feel good. You never provide links or evidence for anything you say, just anecdotal stories, so have fun.

Because I live within a five minute walk of White Rock Centre and work next to skytrain. They are not close but they are both transit nodes.

The argument I hear is that White Rock (or Langely) is too far to provide cost effective service, and that there's no money. Ergo I propose putting them in a fourth zone to account for that extra cost. I would happily pay a bit more for service than pay nothing for no service.

I don't think it's crazy to put White Rock/South Surrey into zone 4 in exchange for providing Blines to White Rock Centre on King George/152 and to Willowbrook via Fraser highway as well as making the Langely Port Mann bridge bus every ten minutes as was planned.

Would that extra money cover it? Not sure but it's work looking into imo. I would happily pay more if there was good service. Especially given how more costly driving will soon be.

#9347 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Someone's never taken the 99 b-line

The 99 only? Just say "I don't have any money" and that works just fine.

Back when I had to take transit to the skytrain to get to canucks games I would be short sometimes and I would say "I will pay when I get to skytrain" and that worked just fine. (I did pay when I got to skytrain).

The drivers are instructed not to be confrontational. MAYBE you will be asked to get off. So what? Get on the next bus and try again.

#9348 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Because I live within a five minute walk of White Rock Centre and work next to skytrain. They are not close but they are both transit nodes.

The argument I hear is that White Rock (or Langely) is too far to provide cost effective service, and that there's no money. Ergo I propose putting them in a fourth zone to account for that extra cost. I would happily pay a bit more for service than pay nothing for no service.

I don't think it's crazy to put White Rock/South Surrey into zone 4 in exchange for providing Blines to White Rock Centre on King George/152 and to Willowbrook via Fraser highway as well as making the Langely Port Mann bridge bus every ten minutes as was planned.

Would that extra money cover it? Not sure but it's work looking into imo. I would happily pay more if there was good service. Especially given how more costly driving will soon be.

Ron, you and your crazy, exaggerated, anecdotal "ideas" again :rolleyes: Quit thinking of ways to try to fix/improve things would ya!

http://www.cknw.com/...aspx?ID=1775359

Surrey's mayor says Translink's 3 year plan falls short for South of the Fraser

The Mayor of Surrey says Translink's new three year plan falls short.

When asked if the transit plan is a disappointment when it comes to infrastructure needs for Surrey, Mayor Dianne Watts said.

"Well absolutely, when you look at 70-percent of the future growth of the region is coming South of the Fraser the infrastructure that needs to be in place is significant whether it is maintaining the existing infrastructure, moving forward to move the region forward,and to have additional infrastructure and transportation these are key issues for a livable region."

Watts says Surrey with the second largest border crossing in the country, and the expansion of deltaport, among other things, needs sustainable transit funding.

Watts says while Translink threw the city a bone or two "Having the rapid bus service over the Port Mann bridge as well as the B-line from 104th between Newton and Guilford."

But there was still more bad news than good "Down the road we still have the King George B-line service down to South Surrey White Rock that has yet to come to fruition. We have been waiting quite some time for that. Again very concerned about the major road network because that is our infrastructure where the funding has been scaled back."

Watts was asked about NDP Transportation critic Harry Bains saying Translink is spending money they don't have by relying on property tax revenue, which isn't certain.

"That was a two year limited property tax increase that I think was voted on about a year ago these are the things they can do and there is a number of things they have scaled back on. You know we have a mayors council meeting coming up over the next day or two and so we will be having those discussions at that point."

Edited by J.R., 18 September 2012 - 10:04 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9349 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Ron, you and your crazy, exaggerated, anecdotal "ideas" again :rolleyes: Quit thinking of ways to try to fix/improve things would ya!

http://www.cknw.com/...aspx?ID=1775359

When you spend 45 minutes trying to get on the Port Mann bridge figuring out options to fix things is a nice distraction from the homicidal rage that would be building otherwise.

#9350 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

The 99 only? Just say "I don't have any money" and that works just fine.

Back when I had to take transit to the skytrain to get to canucks games I would be short sometimes and I would say "I will pay when I get to skytrain" and that worked just fine. (I did pay when I got to skytrain).

The drivers are instructed not to be confrontational. MAYBE you will be asked to get off. So what? Get on the next bus and try again.

I was using that line as a particular example but it happens most often on Commercial and Broadway since usually all the doors open on the bus but ya you get all of that quite often.

No wonder translink is losing so much money.

Edited by Armada, 18 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#9351 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

This is a regional problem. What you're advocating for is just chopping it up into smaller pieces and having that money go to those smaller pieces. I mean it is one way to do it, but we don't do that for sewer or water mains, we don't do that for highways, we don't do that for anything that crosses a lot of municipal boundaries. So why is transit different?

There are lots of options, I don't think carving up the region into little fiefdoms is a good one...

http://online.wsj.co...2194372886.html

#9352 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

http://pricetags.wor...r-money-or-not/

#9353 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

This is a regional problem. What you're advocating for is just chopping it up into smaller pieces and having that money go to those smaller pieces. I mean it is one way to do it, but we don't do that for sewer or water mains, we don't do that for highways, we don't do that for anything that crosses a lot of municipal boundaries. So why is transit different?

There are lots of options, I don't think carving up the region into little fiefdoms is a good one...

http://online.wsj.co...2194372886.html

Cutting up the region? That's my plan if they can't figure out how to get transit to the places that don't currently have it.

The fourth zone is not carving up the region, it's adding another fare zone. Much like when you cross from Vancouver into Burnaby the fare gets more expensive. Not sure how you are not getting it or even commenting on the actual plan I am putting out that would in fact cost ME more but at least give me something worth paying for.

#9354 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

http://pricetags.wor...r-money-or-not/

And to that I said...

As someone living in one of the areas being neglected (White Rock) who would be first in line should had they actually provided Bline service as has been promised a decade now I have motivation to come up with a solution.
I understand there’s a bunch of farmland one has to go through to get to South Surrey/White Rock much like there’s a big distance factor in providing the Langley Port Mann Bus or a potential King George to Willowbrook express bus.

As such, so long as this service was provided, I would have no objection to paying for it. I would therefore suggest putting in a fourth zone for transit with a four zone one way ticket costing about 7 bucks and a month pass for 190 or so. Zone four would be South Surrey/White Rock and the Langleys.

There. I figured out what I want and helped come up with a way to pay for it that would directly hit my pocketbook. It might cost more but with tolls on the way having Bline service would make transit very competitive with driving for a heck of a lot of people. I know I would take it even at the higher cost.

#9355 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Woman struck and killed by TransLink bus in Vancouver

VANCOUVER -- An articulated TransLink bus hit and killed a woman outside the busy Main Street SkyTrain Station on the outskirts of downtown Vancouver early Wednesday evening.

Just before 5 p.m. a woman was struck by the northbound bus on the northeast corner of the Main Street and Terminal Avenue intersection, according to witnesses.

“No one screamed, there was no crash sound,” said Carmen Bright, who was less than a block away at a nearby farmer’s market when the woman was hit. “No one knew until you walked past.”

A blue tarp covered the woman’s body as authorities shooed horrified bystanders away Bright said. The woman has not been identified, but police news release confirmed she was the 12 person to be killed in a traffic accident in Vancouver this year.

The circumstances behind the accident are unknown, but eyewitness Shinya Mikawa said the bus apparently ran a red light. Bright said several other eyewitnesses she talked to at the scene said the same thing.

“All I can confirm on my end is there has been an incident be involving a bus and a pedestrian at Main Street terminal,” said TransLink spokesman Drew Snider.

Meanwhile TransLink has tweeted that their northbound #3, #8 and #19 buses have been detoured via Broadway to Cambie. Southbound buses are still travelling down Main Street.

City of Vancouver spokeswoman Wendy Stewart said the traffic cameras at the intersection that face all four directions are not programmed to take video. However, most articulated TransLink buses come equipped with multiple cameras, including one at the front that may capture footage of an accident like this.

Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the collision to call them at 604-717-3012.

http://www.vancouver...html?id=7269006

It was 2553.

Posted Image

#9356 hullo.

hullo.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

http://www.vancouver...html?id=7269006

It was 2553.

That's at least the second pedestrian hit and killed by a bus at Main and Terminal this year.
The other was back in March i think, involving a Southbound #3 on the South-west corner of the intersection.

#9357 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Apparently the on-board cameras showed that the driver did not run a red light. What apparently happened according to another eyewitness was she was leaning up against a pole and she missed or loss her footing, she fell into the road, and the bus drove over her. The bus was already well past her when this happened.

http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2282018497/

Posted Image

#9358 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz27LgDNvKp

http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz27M6ki2eA

#9359 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yeah regarding the whole free ride on the #99. Today I was sleeping on the bus on the way back from school when an officer came in and woke me up to check if I had my pass. I had mine, unfortunately, about 15-20 others didn't...

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 24 September 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#9360 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

http://www.news1130....t-start-of-2013

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Here's your six weeks' warning: Transit fares are going up as of January 1st.

Derek Zabel with TransLink explains the increases are retroactive. "Things like cash fares, day passes, and short-term West Coast Express prices haven't risen since 2008. So, this is an increase of about two per cent per year since 2008, and this is basically to cover the cost of inflation."

"We expect that this increase will bring in about $32 million and that'll help to maintain our system. With the cost of inflation, this $32 million will help to cover that cost," he adds.

A model to find hundreds of millions of dollars for transit improvements still needs to be worked out.

The reason TransLink is telling us this today is that by law, it has six weeks to remind the public that fares are going up.

Transit Fares as at January 1, 2013

CASH FARES
Adult
Concession
Regular fares
Weekday service from start of service to 6:30 p.m.
1 zone

$2.75

$1.75

2 zones

$4.00

$2.75

3 zones

$5.50

$3.75

Discount fares
Weekdays after 6:30 p.m. and all day Saturday, Sunday and holidays
All zones

$2.75

$1.75

PREPAID FARES
Adult
Concession
Monthly FareCard

1 zone

$91.00

$52.00

for all zones

2 zones

$124.00

3 zones

$170.00

FareSaver Tickets
Book of 10
1 zone

$21.00

$17.50

2 zones

$31.50

N/A

3 zones

$42.00

N/A

DayPass

$9.75

$7.50

West Coast Express fares will rise by approximately 12.5 per cent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.