The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fringe

G.K. Chesterton

Pretty good episode overall! I'm liking how it looks like Fauxlivia and Olivia will be working side-by-side in some episodes this year. Ultimate good cop/bad cop for sure.

Also. this puzzled me during the episode, didn't Broyles from Walternet die last season??

I thought the alternate universe Broyles had died as well? Didn't he give his life to let Olivia go back to the regular universe?

I like how both Olivia's are working together. Anna Torv does a great job playing two different women. I agree as well the show needs Joshua Jackson. It's working right now, and I like how Peter is showing up around Walter although nobody remembers him.

The whole reason Olivia found out she was in the wrong universe in the first place was because she started remembering Peter. In the timeline without Peter, maybe she never realized she was in the wrong place and Alt-Olivia switched back on her own accord when she was done with her mission; therefore, Alternate Broyles was never killed helping Olivia return. Of course, that's assuming Walternate still implanted those memories on her and he was willing to return her to the right universe. That's how I choose to interpret it, at least.

More pressing questions for me are: what is going on with the Observers? In season one Olivia, not Peter, is the first one to notice them, yet she breezed right past them like they weren't there in the season premiere. Did they somehow write the knowledge of their existence out of this reality too? (Not that it really makes sense for a person to pay no notice to a couple of completely bald dudes in suits and hats standing outside a really bizarre crime scene, regardless of whether or not they've seen them before.) Also, what is going on with the Observers AT ALL, especially the first Observer we met who doesn't fully erase Peter's existence like he's supposed to? Most importantly, what do the Fringe teams in both universes think created the universe door, if Peter wasn't involved?

And as for Peter's absence: I like Joshua Jackson and I like Peter; however, I'm really enjoying exploring this new reality. I like this new Olivia especially, who is somehow even cooler than all the other versions of her we've seen. I'm also kind of pleasantly surprised the writers aren't going the same route as other shows where they leave with a big cliffhanger like this over a finale then resolve it within two minutes of the premiere, thus deflating any real tension the viewer might feel about the show. They did the same thing last year when they dropped Olivia in the other universe in the finale and didn't bring her back for eight or nine episodes. I like the slow burn and I hope create and interesting way to bring him back soon (but not too soon) and I'm sure they will. The whole reason I like this show is because they always take it places I never expected, unlike pretty much every other show on TV. It's awesome and weird, and it's probably going to get cancelled for being too awesome and weird. Sad.

Edit: ^^^^ Yeah, I forgot Olivia and company really only went to Alt World to "rescue" Peter. Which makes me wonder how Olivia got stuck there at all, since she supposedly still was in this timeline. But maybe Walternate did kidnap her (as a means to an end, to allow the other Olivia to gather parts for the Doomsday Device, maybe?) and maybe the Fringe team in "our" world did rescue her. I have to rewatch the episode too to catch if Walter explained how/if they discovered Alt Olivia's deceit. Either way, I agree with your theory that Alternate Broyles is alive because he never aided in Olivia returning to our world.

• 1 year later...

The end of a series that could be great or pedestrian (and sometimes both in the same episode) and the two hour finale had a little of both but on balance was pretty good but not great. And the two hours delivered more Olivia than we had seen for much of this season and that is a good thing.

When Olivia crosses over to the alternate universe there was a glimpse of a TV screen showing the Presidential race news report - with Chelsea Clinton running for President. And the travel across alternate universes to engineer a prison break was very well done.

And the best line? That was delivered by alternate universe Fauxlivia to her husband Lincoln Lee (both of whom had aged and raised a family together over there) while Olivia had been frozen in time in amber as he contemplates Olivia walking ahead of them - “You can stop checking out my young ass.” says a graying red haired Bolivia.

The most powerful moment? The tape Walter made saying goodbye to Peter and that he was taking himself out of the timeline to travel to the future with the Observer Child to stop the arrival of the Observers and reset time. Perhaps the ultimate paradox in two hours that was swimming in paradoxes.

Time travel themes and their paradoxes in science fiction always leave my head spinning and this was no exception. And here is the ultimate paradox (and maybe the biggest unanswered question) - if the Observers have been wiped from existence, why is Peter still in our universe? Walternate should have been able to cure him Over There (because he wasn't distracted by September) and none of the series should have happened.

Many questions were answered, although not all. And we did learn that Walter did in fact know Astrid's real name all along.

In sum a fitting end to one of the best thought provoking series on network TV.

Archived