Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Honoury bump now that the series is over

Going to miss this show.

I look forward to seeing Anna, Joshua and John in their next roles :)

The end of a series that could be great or pedestrian (and sometimes both in the same episode) and the two hour finale had a little of both but on balance was pretty good but not great. And the two hours delivered more Olivia than we had seen for much of this season and that is a good thing.

When Olivia crosses over to the alternate universe there was a glimpse of a TV screen showing the Presidential race news report - with Chelsea Clinton running for President. And the travel across alternate universes to engineer a prison break was very well done.

And the best line? That was delivered by alternate universe Fauxlivia to her husband Lincoln Lee (both of whom had aged and raised a family together over there) while Olivia had been frozen in time in amber as he contemplates Olivia walking ahead of them - “You can stop checking out my young ass.” says a graying red haired Bolivia.

The most powerful moment? The tape Walter made saying goodbye to Peter and that he was taking himself out of the timeline to travel to the future with the Observer Child to stop the arrival of the Observers and reset time. Perhaps the ultimate paradox in two hours that was swimming in paradoxes.

Time travel themes and their paradoxes in science fiction always leave my head spinning and this was no exception. And here is the ultimate paradox (and maybe the biggest unanswered question) - if the Observers have been wiped from existence, why is Peter still in our universe? Walternate should have been able to cure him Over There (because he wasn't distracted by September) and none of the series should have happened.

Many questions were answered, although not all. And we did learn that Walter did in fact know Astrid's real name all along.

In sum a fitting end to one of the best thought provoking series on network TV.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#212 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

And we did learn that Walter did in fact know Astrid's real name all along.

I liked your pick for favourite line but Walter saying it is a beautiful name may have been my favourite :)

Nice write up.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#213 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yeah the wife and I will be sad to no longer be able to watch new episodes. Far better show than most of the garbage on network TV and it will be missed.

Posted Image

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#214 canuckhound73

canuckhound73

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

The end of a series that could be great or pedestrian (and sometimes both in the same episode) and the two hour finale had a little of both but on balance was pretty good but not great. And the two hours delivered more Olivia than we had seen for much of this season and that is a good thing.

When Olivia crosses over to the alternate universe there was a glimpse of a TV screen showing the Presidential race news report - with Chelsea Clinton running for President. And the travel across alternate universes to engineer a prison break was very well done.

And the best line? That was delivered by alternate universe Fauxlivia to her husband Lincoln Lee (both of whom had aged and raised a family together over there) while Olivia had been frozen in time in amber as he contemplates Olivia walking ahead of them - “You can stop checking out my young ass.” says a graying red haired Bolivia.

The most powerful moment? The tape Walter made saying goodbye to Peter and that he was taking himself out of the timeline to travel to the future with the Observer Child to stop the arrival of the Observers and reset time. Perhaps the ultimate paradox in two hours that was swimming in paradoxes.

Time travel themes and their paradoxes in science fiction always leave my head spinning and this was no exception. And here is the ultimate paradox (and maybe the biggest unanswered question) - if the Observers have been wiped from existence, why is Peter still in our universe? Walternate should have been able to cure him Over There (because he wasn't distracted by September) and none of the series should have happened.

Many questions were answered, although not all. And we did learn that Walter did in fact know Astrid's real name all along.

In sum a fitting end to one of the best thought provoking series on network TV.

Well done summary.

Only question that I THINK I MIGHT be able to shed some light on that you had... about Observers existing/not existing with the re-set.
I was under the impression that sending Michael into the future was to show the scientists that they dont have to make the mistakes they did in removing more emotions & NOT stopping them from making them all together.
So I assume that means the Observers are still made, but more like the 12 sides team & not like Windmark.
Thus everything up to 2015 still happened.

As for my feelings on it. I felt they did as good a job as any in tying up the loose ends. They gave lots of fans things they were looking for, Etta back, POlivia happy again, bad ass Olivia back, Walter getting Astrids name right, Gene, emotional speeches between Astrid & Walter, Walter & Peter etc... then there was the little sneaky easter eggs they slipped in for the fans. Apartment 513 at the end of ep 512 as we waited for ep 513 to begin. The 6 finger handprint on the wall, the thank you for your support message on the piece of mail under the letter to Peter from Walter. They went all out to give the hardcore fans an ending they would want.

This was IMO the smartest & most well done show in quite some time, perhaps of all time. It will be on my top 5 favorite shows list for a long long time (perhaps forever). I really do thank FOX & Warner Bros for sticking with it despite the poor ratings. That is rare in this era of ratings driven content.
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16

#215 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

*wonders if a movie would make sense now*
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.