The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Burrows must feel something more or less, despite the fact that kesler is his teammate and friend. Imagine u offered the asking price for a house but later found out u could have had it for about 40~50% less?

Money is money, burrows is getting underpaid and that's the bottomline. Unless he's a monk he'll feel some jealousy.

• Upvote 3

Burrows didn't want to end up like Anson Carter. The canucks only wanted to give him 1.8/yr and he walked. Burrows wasn't going to get 3/year from the Canucks...and probably not from anyone else in the league after the Carter debacle.

Burrows must feel something more or less, despite the fact that kesler is his teammate and friend. Imagine u offered the asking price for a house but later found out u could have had it for about 40~50% less?

Money is money, burrows is getting underpaid and that's the bottomline. Unless he's a monk he'll feel some jealousy.

Burrows is feeling just fine, 5 years ago he was roller hockey player, and no where close to a solid NHL career. If Burrows really wanted to he could have signed with a team like Atlanta or tampa Bay and get paid out 3.5 to 4 million a year, but he decided he wanted to stay in Vancouver because it was the best chance he had of winning a Stanley Cup.

Burrows has 3 seasons remaining at 2mill per. In those 3 years he will be part of a winning team and put alongside players who should keep his production between 25-35 goals. He will cash in after scoring 100-125 goals in 4 seasons and will nab upwards of 5 mill per for 3-4 seasons. For an undrafted player to make 30mill over a ten year career that's amazing. He will also get a chance to win and gets to work alongside his friends. Life is grand!

he feels that we have a great team for at least the 4 years he has left in his contract so hes exstatic

Exactly, Burrows is making 2 Mil a season. Im sure he isn't complaining about anything and oh yeah I think are core looks pretty solid toowink.gif

based on what burrows produced last year, i think 2mil was a fair annual salary...a lot of us started doubting him at the beginning of this season where he failed to register goals for a stretch. he's exceeded everyone's expectations with his current point tally, probably even his own, so i think he'd simply be happy that a thread like this even exists arguing that he deserves more

and like someone said earlier, he doesn't anchor a line

Just cause he's undrafted doesn't mean he is not a good player and should settle for less. Dan Boyle is undrafted but he is hella good and making 6.7 a year.

My point is, kesler tells everyone that they should take a pay cut to keep the team together, but he is the one not holding true to his own word.

• Upvote 1

Well considering his uphill battle he took to get to the NHL, I'm sure he is grateful more than anything

Dan Boyle of SJ + Team Canada also went undrafted. Going undrafted is no reason to have low self esteem. Burrows should be paid as per the way he plays, his pay scale is not based on what some clueless scouts thought of him 10 years ago.

If I was Burr, I'd be a tad choked that he left a million on the table for MG to build a winner and Kes picked it up. ohmy.gif

• Upvote 1

i would be a bit jealous if i were him... but then i think burrows knows he won't get kesler's money... burrows should get 3mil to be fair... but i guess it is a way for him to give bk to the team who gave him a chance... without the canucks who knows what will happen to him??? stuck in ECHL for a while and then retire from hockey all together??? i just hope that he will continue to play hard and he will get what he deserves for his next contract

Just cause he's undrafted doesn't mean he is not a good player and should settle for less. Dan Boyle is undrafted but he is hella good and making 6.7 a year.

My point is, kesler tells everyone that they should take a pay cut to keep the team together, but he is the one not holding true to his own word.

Whoa, we were thinking the same thing at the same time, you are probably a more proficient typer than me.biggrin.gif

• Upvote 1

ya actually burrows must feel like crap right now, i remember kes is the one saying everyone should take a pay cut to keep a good team together, then burr signs for 2 mil. Then, BOOM kesler 5 mil. Which to me is a debatable deal. It's probably his market value without a hometown discount. So... i donno... if he wasn't gonna take a discount contract then don't start the talk in the first place.

Not taking away from the player that he is but i feel like he is a lot of talk both on and off the ice.

On a side note, anyone know how much BMO took during the westcoast express years?

There probably isn't a guy on the team that doesn't think Kesler deserves it.

It's all speculation in the end, I guess.

But I don't really think Burr is at the same point in his career as Kesler is anyways.

It'd be nice to think one day he will.

Having Kesler on lock is great. I hope he stays a Canuck his whole career.

• Upvote 1