The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Beleive it or not, 5mil is a discount. Kesler could have went for 5.75mil for sure on the open market, even 6mil.

Lets look at a few recent center position signings..

Stajan - 3.5mil

Antropov - 4mil

Vermette - 3.75mil

Kessel - 5.4mil

For what Kesler brings, 5mil is a great deal. He's on pace for 76 points, it's not likely he's going to sign a cheap donkey deal and if he does it won't be for 6 years. This is very fair for both sides and I'm glad they got a deal done.

Beleive it or not, 5mil is a discount. Kesler could have went for 5.75mil for sure on the open market, even 6mil.

Stajan - 3.5mil

Antropov - 4mil

Vermette - 3.75mil

Kessel - 5.4mil

For what Kesler brings, 5mil is a great deal. He's on pace for 76 points, it's not likely he's going to sign a cheap donkey deal and if he does it won't be for 6 years. This is very fair for both sides and I'm glad they got a deal done.

No doubt.

Who's to say he didn't take a cut.

Leafs probably offered him 6.1, why wouldn't he settle with 5 with the place he loves.

Also 5 sounds like a generous offer as far as showing him they want him here.

Good for both parties.

Happy or a little jealous?

You have to remember that when Burrows signed his deal, his salary jumped from $525K to $2 million, almost a fourfold increase. It also bought him four years of security, and for a player who was never drafted and worked his way up through the ranks of the ECHL and the AHL, his was a huge success story. Is he a bargain? Given his production since he signed the deal, yes, but he was overjoyed to make the kind of money that few in this country will ever make. He doesn't strike me as the type to be jealous about money when he is living his dream and being very well paid.

Kelser's salary goes up two and a half times, from $1.9 to $5 million. Given the market that would be created if he was to remain unsigned, he appears to have taken a hometown discount. Burke would have happily paid him $5.5 to $6 million because he's a far better leader than Kessel ever will be and would absolutely be the next captain of the Maple Leafs. I shudder at the thought.

Do players have to pay canadian income taxes or american? If canadian, they are screwed.

Also, This is why the NHL gave kes and burr crap for asking ppl to take a pay cut. Money is a sensitive issue and should be a decision each makes for their own.

Edited by nuck_inTO

Do players have to pay canadian income taxes or american? If canadian, they are screwed.

Screwed as in they make millions of dollars each year to play a game?

Yeah if their team is in Canada they pay Canadian taxes, so you can take a hefty chunk off their nominal salary to approximate their take-home.

Burrows must feel something more or less, despite the fact that kesler is his teammate and friend. Imagine u offered the asking price for a house but later found out u could have had it for about 40~50% less?

Money is money, burrows is getting underpaid and that's the bottomline. Unless he's a monk he'll feel some jealousy.

If he's jealous, he's being a greedy jerk. These guys are NHLers. They make more in a year than most people make in their whole lives.

Edited by Wild#9

I'm sure Burrows feel fine. $2 million a season is still a lot of money. Most of us make only $70,000 a year. If anything, I think Kesler should donate a million to charity like the Sedins.

Do they really? Any source? Not that I don't believe you I'm just curious on the details of it.

Screw the money. He's probably ecstatic that Kes is sticking around long term.

Do they really? Any source? Not that I don't believe you I'm just curious on the details of it.

Um....it happened a week and a half ago. Both the Sedins donated 1.5mil combined to BC children's hospital.

Edited by BuckleNuckrz

Why dont you go ask him

5M seems about right.

To be honest, I really think alot of teams (Edm, Floridia, Toronto) would be be willing to dish out 6.5 M for a big, gritty, first line center....

which Kesler has proven he's capable of doing, even under the shadow of H.Sedin.

At this point in time, R.Kesler = or > M.Richards.

ya actually burrows must feel like crap right now, i remember kes is the one saying everyone should take a pay cut to keep a good team together, then burr signs for 2 mil. Then, BOOM kesler 5 mil. Which to me is a debatable deal. It's probably his market value without a hometown discount. So... i donno... if he wasn't gonna take a discount contract then don't start the talk in the first place.

Not taking away from the player that he is but i feel like he is a lot of talk both on and off the ice.

On a side note, anyone know how much BMO took during the westcoast express years?

Kes could of easily got 6 mil or more. im guessing burke would of offered him 6.5 a year

Just cause he's undrafted doesn't mean he is not a good player and should settle for less. Dan Boyle is undrafted but he is hella good and making 6.7 a year.

My point is, kesler tells everyone that they should take a pay cut to keep the team together, but he is the one not holding true to his own word.

First of all Kesler made his comments after Burrows signed his deal. And he wasn't telling other players to take a discount, he was commending Burrows on not trying to max out his salary, and taking a fair deal that would allow the team to compete for a cup. He mentioned that is something that he would consider as well. The media decided to spin it to say he was telling the Sedins they should come to an agreement for less.

People assumed that he would be taken a discount on what he would be worth then (Take 3.5-4 when he was worth 4-4.5). But his agent and him probably decided to come to a fair deal based on how he preformed this season.

I would have liked him at a little smaller contract given that he is the number 2 Centre on our depth charts, but I'm certain he would have received and offer sheet in the range of 5.5 to 6. This way we get him at a little less, and get him for the term we want. Unfortunately we may need to sacrifice one or more of Raymond, Bernier, Bieksa, or Mitchell.

Stajan - 3.5mil

Antropov - 4mil

Vermette - 3.75mil

Kessel - 5.4mil

After looking at that stat, I have no problem with Kesler making 5 million a year, I mean seriously would rather save a million a year and have Antropov or Stajan instead, I think not.