The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Burr just exudes class and character, doesn't he? I mean, the road he's traveled, and to be able to come across the way he does, just speaks to how much character he has built from that. Too bad every player can't come up that way. With as much humility. His interview being the classic case. I think if there is anything that people don't realize, it's that Burr seems very capable of drawing the distinction between the business and the game from a player's perspective.

The only "jealousy" out there, is the jealousy around the league from those teams without Burrows in their line up. ;)

Burrows exudes class? Are you kidding me?

Are we talking about the same guy?

I like the guy. Don't get me wrong. But when I think of class I think of Yzerman or Naslund. Burrows embellishes a lot of things on the ice, he dives, he trashtalks, etc. How is that class?

I think you probably meant he seems like a good friend.

I asked him and he said that he feels like asking Kesler to buy the next round.

Seriously, anyone thinking that there would be a rift caused by this probably also thinks that there was a rift between Kesler and Luongo after the Olympics.

On that note, man, there sure are a lot of panicky idiots in this town.

Burrows exudes class? Are you kidding me?

Are we talking about the same guy?

I like the guy. Don't get me wrong. But when I think of class I think of Yzerman or Naslund. Burrows embellishes a lot of things on the ice, he dives, he trashtalks, etc. How is that class?

I think you probably meant he seems like a good friend.

Players don't need to be tight lipped, or tight azzed, to be classy. Burr's got a job and a role and knows where his bread is buttered and everybody knows what that is, which is proof in the pudding of his success.

One of the ways you can measure class is, "grace under pressure". I give him much credit in that department.

Don't be cheeky.

Edited by Fin_dawg

Given that the average salary in BC is around $42,000, "most" of us don't make $70,000.

Haha, thanks for bringing up a correction. Either way, I make less than average. Married, so our income is 'combined' we pull in around 40k/year.

It's sure no 2mill/year!

On topic : I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Burrow's contract was negotiated last year right? When some weren't sure if he could keep up the record setting pace he had of 28 goals, we know now that he's keeping up with that and breaking it. But nobody knew for certain then that he'd keep up and play so well with and without the Sedin's.

Retrospetively I feel it a bit ironic that when last year Kes was talking about the need to take a pay cut to make the team better, he was actually talking about Burr's cheap deal paving the way for his own relatively expensive contract. Isn't it?wink.gif

I think you are bang on. Whether or not Burrows sees it that way no one knows except him.

Happy that he's got a solid player locked up for 6 years. He took a home town discount because he loves the Canucks for giving him a shot after he was never drafted. He knows that Kesler in the lineup is closer to a Stanley Cup than it is further. So yeah, I think he's happy.

I'm guessing Burrows is happy for his teammate. But Burrows could have got something around 3M or so. So he left 1M to build a good team. And Kesler just picks it up not sticking to his word. I'd say hes more happy then bitter though.

I'm guessing Burrows is happy for his teammate. But Burrows could have got something around 3M or so. So he left 1M to build a good team. And Kesler just picks it up not sticking to his word. I'd say hes more happy then bitter though.

Realistically, Kesler also dropped 1M for the team. He could've easily made 6 mil elsewhere.

Either way, our team is improved in the long run with the full signing of our core.

No doubt.

Who's to say he didn't take a cut.

Leafs probably offered him 6.1, why wouldn't he settle with 5 with the place he loves.

Also 5 sounds like a generous offer as far as showing him they want him here.

Good for both parties.

the leafs can't offer him anything

anyways, 5 mil is a good price for kesler

Burrows signed his deal at the trading deadline last year when he was sitting on a grand total of one 12 goal season, he didn't have a lot of leverage at the time and Gillis could have just shipped him out of town. Maybe he held a gun to Burrows' head, sign the contract or you're gone, remember, Burke said he was on the market :angry: . (although I heard that the package including Burrows and Bieksa was the counter offer, not the original one from Gillis)

Right now Kesler is a much more valuable commodity, it's hard to find big, fast, mean, point a game, 2 way centre that never gets outworked, $5 million is a steal for what he brings to the table...and he's still probably a couple years away from hitting his absolute prime as well.

2 million is still a lot of money.

I'm sure Burrows is content with where he is and what he is getting.

If he went on the open market, do you really think other teams would offer him more?

If so, it would probably be 2.5 or thereabouts.

5 Mil for Kesler is about what he would've fetched on the open market this summer, if not more.

Overall, good deal. If we didn't pay him that much, someone else would have.

I'm sure Burrows feel fine. $2 million a season is still a lot of money. Most of us make only $70,000 a year. If anything, I think Kesler should donate a million to charity like the Sedins.

actually, the average salary is abot half that number.

No doubt.

Who's to say he didn't take a cut.

Leafs probably offered him 6.1, why wouldn't he settle with 5 with the place he loves.

Also 5 sounds like a generous offer as far as showing him they want him here.

Good for both parties.

Man, it's getting tiresome listening this. Burker couldn't offer him anything as he didn't have the draft pick for the compensation.