The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I'd like for this whole Kesler contract dealie to simply die off, but knowing it's CDC, people are just going to read into the quote and think that there's a rift in the locker room now.

This implies Burrows is happier than Kesler. This difference in happiness must be causing a rift in the locker room.

How is this CLASSY?

You guys throw that word around more often than a pitcher throws a curveball.

i agree completely, it's nice of him to say but how is that quote "Proof That Burrows Is a Class Act"???

the guy signed a deal that made him a millionaire, is he supposed to be upset?

He's just really grateful the Canucks organization gave him the opportunity.

Think about it, if u were never drafted, played in the ECHL and now you just signed a long term contract for 2mil a yr. I'd be pretty happy regardless.

He's just really grateful the Canucks organization gave him the opportunity.

Think about it, if u were never drafted, played in the ECHL and now you just signed a long term contract for 2mil a yr. I'd be pretty happy regardless.

Bottom line is Burrows deserves more he has proved it the last 3 years that he has been playing with the canucks.

They in my opinion are both equally maybe kes a little more important to the success of this team.

So the way Burrows is handling the signing (pay amount) is top notch. I respect him for it and feel bad for him when he is doing more for this team than some other 4 million dollar players..He know s he has time and his pay will reflect his play so keep on chugging Alex.. Congrats to Kes

He's tops in my world. Love the "free dinners" part....he's just such a team player. 100% class (for those of unsure how to make the connection - a guy who's "grateful" for opportunities; a guy who supports, wholeheartedly, his peers; a guy who puts honesty above all else and isn't afraid to go against the grain, despite the negative backlash it may invite; a guy who never seems to forget where he came from or friends that are out of sight but never out of mind. "The guy signed a deal that made him a millionaire"......through sheer determination and hard work - don't forget that very important part.)

2421657-1.jpg

(Be ready, as I'm going to merge this into the Burrows thread, where it belongs)

From Botchford's Twitter: (On Province reporter Jim Jamieson talking to burrows after the kesler signing)

smile.gif

I'm not sure about that, I think I may have been happier he was sticking around than he was :)

He's a lifer here since we gave him a shot after being undrafted. I get the impression he thinks he owes us and would never walk out on us.

Sedin $6.1 mil, Sedin $6.1 mil, Burrows $2 mil, why are you bringing up Kesler for, don't you think Burrows should be more peed at the money the Sedins got as he got more goals than either of them.

I would be shocked if Burrows scores 30 goals ever again without the Sedins.

Burr just exudes class and character, doesn't he? I mean, the road he's traveled, and to be able to come across the way he does, just speaks to how much character he has built from that. Too bad every player can't come up that way. With as much humility. His interview being the classic case. I think if there is anything that people don't realize, it's that Burr seems very capable of drawing the distinction between the business and the game from a player's perspective.

The only "jealousy" out there, is the jealousy around the league from those teams without Burrows in their line up. wink.gif

Totally agree. He is totally hockey and his loyalty to the Canucks is infettered. A young player, never drafted who simply wanted a chance to play in the NHL. The Canucks are very fortunate that someone made the decision to take a chance on him to play in Winnipeg and subsequently in Vancouver. He simply never gives up playing and that is what has to be loved about him. He is definitely a "keeper." smile.gif

did some of you start watching the canucks this season or something? Burrows was signed as a 2mil CHECKER. After he got signed he was put with the sedins and then he started lighting it up.

I don't quite understand your point - "Burrows was signed as a 2mil CHECKER."

Hasn't that been what is so unique about his story or journey in hockey. Burrows flew under the radar and was not even drafted. No one thought enough about him to even take the time to see what his potential really was while he played junior. Even when elevated to the ECHL and AHL, he had to blow his own horn to get the attention of those who would make the decisions about his future.

He may have been signed as a checker, that is true but isn't that really the role most players go through when they eventually get into the NHL. They learn the defensive aspect of the game first. From there, the coach then determines what position that player is best suited at on the team. Even then, through trial and error, it may be only through line juggling, the value of a player can really be established.

I really hope that all our prospects and young players serve time in that defensive learning role so they are given the opportunity of becoming a more rounded and defensively sound player in the NHL. I believe that should happen to Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin etc.

Using Taveras as an example only, I don't intend to debate his ability: He can score goals but look at his +- rating. I contend he has not properly learned the defensive part of the game. He was shoved into a top six NHL position because he is a natural goal scorer and probably because he was picked first over all in the draft had a lot to do with it as well.

One must question if that is the common sense approach to take with a young player, to elevated them right to the NHL from junior. Without learning his defensive game properly, what now are the probabilities of him (Taveras) ever being a better + player over the course of his career unless defense is not instilled in his play at some juncture in his career? Will it always be questioned - "how many goals has he caused to be scored against his team because of his lack of defensive ability?" Look at Stamkos for example, when he was shipped back to the minors by the Bolts he was a -13. Right now Tavares is a -15. I am certainly not questioning their raw talent or potential to play in the NHL, I question whether or not they are a better player by being immediately inserted in the NHL in the same capacities as they may have played in junior ie. simply being a goals scorer and forget about whatever else is important in their development to be a good all around hockey player. What would happen if his goal production suddenly lessened and his +- rating soared; would he be sent back to the minors like Stamkos, undoubtedly a further crushing blow to a young players esteem and confidence?

In doing just that, what type of unnecessary burden do we place on a talented young player and how will it eventually affect his playing confidence when he knows he is inadequate in some aspects of his game? With respect to Burrows, being signed as a checker has only served him favorably; it has undoubtedly made him a more tenacious and talented hockey player who could with ease find a job on any hockey team in the NHL. But on top of that you must add the heart of a lion as well. smile.gif

Edited by SimplyHockey