The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

why would i change my name? I still don't think burrows has the skill to be a third ling winger. And what worse is all these fluke goals this ding dong is getting is probably going to get him a 2 million dollar contract. I'll admit he's playing better(and that kills me) but were only 3 games deep so he'll have to do allot more for him to make me eat my words.

Could you go watch some other sport and quit watching hockey. Seriously, hockey is not for you and you won't understand it! :rolleyes:

don't come to a battle of wits with me proud_canuck your unarmed

Gotta like a guy who lives by his wits! I guess half a life is better than none.......................... :blink:

I think all the friction material on your 'plate' has been worn away. SLIP!

GMAFB!

• 2 weeks later...

Loooove this thread.

Only one better was the Rypien one created 30 seconds before he scored his beauty of a goal, destroying the entire other team for 2 goals in 2 nights.

But honestly, even last year, Kesler and Burrows were touted as the top, or at least top 3, checking duo in the NHL. What was the thread maker thinking? Who knows.

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Nice first post.

It's not a matter of how he fights, it's THAT he fights.

He may lose, but if he loses to Iginla he takes Iginla out of the game.

He may not be in the top percentile in any one catagory.... ie fastest skater, best puck handler.

but his overall skills are better than those who are vying for a spot.

R1:

Burrows vs. Pettinger

Burrow wins, less speed but more grit and willingness to go to the dirty areas

R2:

Burrows vs. Rypien

This one is close, I think they are virtually the same player, and experience leans in Burrows' favour. However Rypien is a much better fighter. It's boils down to: how many fighters do you really need on this team? Also, Burrows has already proven himself in his own zone. Rypien kills penalties in Manitoba but can he do it at the NHL level?

R3:

Burrows vs. Brown

Again very close, Brown is by far a much smoother skater, is much tougher, and so far has shown more offensive talent. I'd say that this is a coin-toss but Burrows and Kesler have chemistry, that is also a factor.

In the end my depth chart for an agitator would be, Burrows, Brown, Rypien.......

Let him play out the season and earn his raise, if he becomes more expensive, then he's expendable....

At his current price, keep him... Brown is waiting in the wings and would easily slot in, if Burrows goes to Pittsburgh (a la Ruutu, a la Cooke)

We seem to just cycle agitators anyways. Get as much out of them at basement prices and let them go.

Then why don't we just trade Rypien instead?

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.