The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

The best part of this thread are the noobs who post only after Burrows scores, and say, "Of course we want him! Did you see him score last game?!?!?!" I'd like to go back and see what they were saying the last couple of seasons.

I wasn't here for the last couple of seasons, but when AV through Burrows under the bus during that training camp that year and nobody thought he would ever get to the NHL, I told my friends "watch, he'll be starting on our third line until the end of his contract at least'. I just got laughed at. Maybe one of my friends is clutch?? Haha.

Maybe that's why I take sick pleasure in this thread.

The best part of this thread are the noobs who post only after Burrows scores, and say, "Of course we want him! Did you see him score last game?!?!?!" I'd like to go back and see what they were saying the last couple of seasons.

Burrows has been a fan favourite for many (including me) even before he discovered his scoring touch

As Burrows himself said last night his focus is on stoping the teams best players but if he happens to score that's good too

and I admit I've bashed other players before who turned out better then I thought they would (Raymond) and praised players who are sucking this year (Pyatt) but I have never said a bad word about a workhorse like Burrows

I said all those same things about Burrows 3 years ago. He's not the most talented player, but he elevates his game. He found a new level of play that no one thought he had. I'm so glad the coaching staff and management took a risk on him.

I said all those same things about Burrows 3 years ago. He's not the most talented player, but he elevates his game. He found a new level of play that no one thought he had. I'm so glad the coaching staff and management took a risk on him.

I as well - even at the worst of times I knew that even if he was only a 5G, 10A player, that his defensive strengths and incredible work ethic would guarantee him at least a 4th line role.

But even in his worst season (2006-07), he had so many goals called back, and the ones he did score were works of art! I knew he had more offensive talent in him.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone elseand say that Burrows is an asset to this team.

Not only is he good at what he does (forecheck and agitate) but he does show signs of offensive flair.

He loses the puck a lot and seems to be off balance because of the style he plays. He'll look to make the play before thinking about what his body is about to be put through.

Did he not make Pierre Maguire's All-Monster Team 2007?

He will fight, contrary to what you say... didn't he fight Boulerice after he Tomahawked kesler in the head?

He was a liability when he'd fight at stupid times and get called for instigating or roughing randomly but has since refined his game and now understands when and where to start a bru-haha.

Burrows has worked his way up from the ECHL, and hasn't stopped doing whatever the coaches tell him to do.

That's the kind of teammate I'd want on my team.

Pierre McGuire's 2007-08 All-Monster Team

Alexander Ovechkin - Capitals

Vincent Lecavalier - Lightning

Jarome Iginla - Flames

Brenden Morrow - Stars

Mike Richards - Flyers

Dustin Brown - Kings

Ryan Malone - Penguins

Jonathan Toews - Blackhawks

Chuck Kobasew - Bruins

Alex Burrows - Canucks

Paul Gaustad - Sabres

David Clarkson - Devils

Dion Phaneuf - Flames

Ed Jovanovski - Coyotes

Brent Burns - Wild

Mike Komisarek - Canadiens

Duncan Keith - Blackhawks

Greg Zanon - Predators

Martin Brodeur - Devils

Steve Valiquette - Rangers

ctvglobemedia.gif© 2008

The fact that he was picked indicates that he is one of, if not the best, at what he does.

Yes there are players like Ruutu, Avery, Tucker that play a similar role however who is overall the most beneficial to their team?

Ruutu, 3 times the salary for the same player (Don't get me wrong I love Ruutu but expensive for what he does) He has more offesive talent (as seen in the shoot-out) but is more of a liability for minor penalties.

Avery, is innovative in trying to invent new ways to push the envelope of agitating however his history of antics leaves a team with too many question marks on whether he will help or hinder his team.

Tucker, Avery minus the off ice stuff, on the decline and his point totals in Toronto seem to be an aboration as he's vanished off the face of the earth. Again, a risk to take him because his salary is too much for what he "potentially" could do. Why not stick with what you have?

You know what you're going to get, 30 points 10-15 goals, 100+ pims and at fair market value.

Although the trend of toughness is further on the rise, teams still need playmaking ability at a reasonable price.

So would you rather have:

Burrows and 10 mil to spend on Free-Agents / Trade

(room to add 1st line forward ie. Gaborik at 9mil)

or

Avery and 6.6 mil to spend

(room to add Jeff Finger)

YE YE BURROWS IS A MONSTERRR!! lol

Burrows is a monster.

Luongo is a monster.

WELLWOOD WITH TEH MAGIK MITTENS!

AV should bench himself. Sitting back does not ever seem to work right.

What a big joke...

Burrows tried his best to do whatever he cans to score in the game!! He plays well in his role...

He is very under pay already!!!

Burrows is our hero and monster!!!!

Maybe you should admit that you just don't like Burrows!

The jury has decided.....

Burrows, blows by Wade Redden, GOAL

Burrows, hard on the forecheck, finds the open ice.... GOAL

This guy is durable:

Apr 15, 2007: Missed Game 2 of Round One against the Dallas Stars (head injury).

Apr 13, 2007: Head injury, day-to-day.

Dec 30, 2006: Missed 1 game (hip injury).

Dec 27, 2006: Hip injury, day-to-day.

ALEX BURROWS, is the MONSTER of the GAME

Burrows has been a fan favourite for many (including me) even before he discovered his scoring touch

As Burrows himself said last night his focus is on stoping the teams best players but if he happens to score that's good too

and I admit I've bashed other players before who turned out better then I thought they would (Raymond) and praised players who are sucking this year (Pyatt) but I have never said a bad word about a workhorse like Burrows

same here my friend. :)

We've been fans of his since day one...my daughter has a picture with him at the 2005 Superskills, which is when we jumped on board. So I don't qualify. ;)

He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless.

Are you kidding me? Seriously. He leads the team with shorthanded goals with two and lead the team last year with three. yeas. he can score. he has good stick handling skills

IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

you want guys like Krog or Pettinger more than Brown? you are kidding me. Embarrassment?