The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Burrows is one of the players that doesn't have a no trade clause, and is a good asset. If looking at other team's past successful trades they've given up good players to get the kind of players they seek in return. Bottom line burrows is one of those players that can be traded. I'm not saying trade him or keep him I'm just stating that he's an asset that can be moved and people shouldn't be shocked if he goes.

He does have an NTC.

http://www.capgeek.com/canucks

Burrows has shown this org more than enough times what he is capable of. I expect him to do it again. He is very close to breaking out. Tonight is as good as any other. I will watch Kesler to see if in fact is best position is wing. Danny dried up just when I thought he was getting back to his old ppg groove.

No player is untradeable. It is all about time lines. It is all about what can be gained by moving them and whether the returning asset compliments the team going forward. Vancouver has a history of letting players walk with no return. It is a org killer. NTC mean nothing in today's NHL other than the player having a say on where he goes. All parties knowledge that reality.

I'd prefer to keep the trio of Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa. They're the true heart and soul of this team. If we're going to win with this core I hope we can build it around that trio, the Sedin's and Luongo. Everyone else is expendable in my mind.

Agree^ Got to keep the heart and soul of this team intact. Don't trade the Burr.

People who say burrows sucks without the sedins clearly forgot his first years in the league.

He started from the fourth line and had to fight to stay with the team (my god was he a good fighter loved watching him fight). But that wasn't all he did, every-time he hit the ice he created scoring chances and was just very smart the way he got his goals. He had 7 goals 5 assists and a load of fights in his first season where he only played 43 games then two seasons later he got moved up to third line then with kesler. Kesler and burrows seemed to ignite each other as both could be playmaker and shooter. And Burrows was used with kes on the PK where the two were very good and anytime burr had the puck on breakaway it ended in the back of the net. It seemed like he could do anything and play well with everyone.

Then in January there was a terrible losing streak (like 8 or 9 games) and AV need to change up the lines and split kesler and burrows and put the sedins with him. He found chemistry with them and they lite him up with fast passing and him going to the front of the net. That years combined with kesler and they sedins he had 28 goals. And kes was learning from sundin which also made him a better player.

Then next year the team exploded the first line and second line had great chemistry and many players had career years in points

Here were the lines that did the damage

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Kesler-Samuelson

This year henrik had 112 points and burrows had 35 goals 5 of them shorthanded breakaways

Samuelson,Raymond, kesler, burrows and henrik had the highest point totals of their careers that year.

Burrows was key to the sedins success in points as well as on the power-play.(kes was used with the sedins in 2011 on the powerplay).

He benefited the sedins as much as they helped him and lets just say he had to work very hard to get to the top line lets not forget that.

This year he had the toughest injury of his career and missed many games, I'm not surprised its taking him a while to recover. Have patience guys have patience.

Edited by ProBettman
  • Upvote 1

People who say burrows sucks without the sedins clearly forgot his first years in the league.

He started from the fourth line and had to fight to stay with the team (my god was he a good fighter loved watching him fight). But that wasn't all he did, every-time he hit the ice he created scoring chances and was just very smart the way he got his goals. He had 7 goals 5 assists and a load of fights in his first season where he only played 43 games then two seasons later he got moved up to third line then with kesler. Kesler and burrows seemed to ignite each other as both could be playmaker and shooter. And Burrows was used with kes on the PK where the two were very good and anytime burr had the puck on breakaway it ended in the back of the net. It seemed like he could do anything and play well with everyone.

Then in January there was a terrible losing streak (like 8 or 9 games) and AV need to change up the lines and split kesler and burrows and put the sedins with him. He found chemistry with them and they lite him up with fast passing and him going to the front of the net. That years combined with kesler and they sedins he had 28 goals. And kes was learning from sundin which also made him a better player.

Then next year the team exploded the first line and second line had great chemistry and many players had career years in points

Here were the lines that did the damage

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Kesler-Samuelson

This year henrik had 112 points and burrows had 35 goals 5 of them shorthanded breakaways

Samuelson,Raymond, kesler, burrows and henrik had the highest point totals of their careers that year.

Burrows was key to the sedins success in points as well as on the power-play.(kes was used with the sedins in 2011 on the powerplay).

He benefited the sedins as much as they helped him and lets just say he had to work very hard to get to the top line lets not forget that.

This year he had the toughest injury of his career and missed many games, I'm not surprised its taking him a while to recover. Have patience guys have patience.

And now? That is a great story to read but I'm not worried about what he did 2-3 years ago. Is he still that good? He has 0 goals and 3 assists in 9 games, I'll admit I didn't expect this from Burrows. Maybe he is slowing down, and slowing down fast..

I hope he proves me wrong and scores today and I hope he is still old Burr but I just think he is slowing down and those stats back it up.

Wow are people really bashing burrows after all of these years just because of a slow/injury filled start?

Sorry guys, he was arguably one of our most clutch players over the years (Boston OT, Detroit Shoot-out, CHI OT!) and after such a short sample size people are pulling the plug????? Yikes.

• Upvote 1

Wow are people really bashing burrows after all of these years just because of a slow/injury filled start?

Sorry guys, he was arguably one of our most clutch players over the years (Boston OT, Detroit Shoot-out, CHI OT!) and after such a short sample size people are pulling the plug????? Yikes.

They sure are. It's the "what have you done for me lately?" John Garrett always jokes about. It's really how some fans act though.

I'm with you though, I'd much rather criticize Burrows at the end of the season than after a slump coming off injury. And besides, Burrows is a complete player and scoring points is only one of the 1000 things he does for the Canucks on the ice. Even if he's not scoring 30+ goals, the Canucks are a way, way better hockey team when he's in the lineup.

They sure are. It's the "what have you done for me lately?" John Garrett always jokes about. It's really how some fans act though.

I'm with you though, I'd much rather criticize Burrows at the end of the season than after a slump coming off injury. And besides, Burrows is a complete player and scoring points is only one of the 1000 things he does for the Canucks on the ice. Even if he's not scoring 30+ goals, the Canucks are a way, way better hockey team when he's in the lineup.

Yes, the fair-weather fickle few fans that will change their tune as soon as Burr puts up a couple of points. Fair-weather fans, do we really need them?

Had to bring this thread back after reading these mindblowing stats on PITB today:

62.2% | When Alex Burrows is on the ice at even-strength, the Canucks get 62.2% of the shots, which leads all Canucks and is the 5th highest shot percentage in the league. The Canucks have out-shout their opponents 122-74 at even-strength with Burrows on the ice, but have been out-scored 11-6. That’s basically the Canucks season in a nutshell, right there.

I think it ends tonight though. Slay the dragon Alex.

• Upvote 1