The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

You actually think a ref threatening to and subsequently changing the outcome of a game over a personal matter is the same as 2 players trash talking each other?

Not at all but he should've talked to the commissioner about it instead of the media? That way it's discussed in private.

I have nothing against Burrows I just don't like people saying sht to our players. 

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS
  • Upvote 1

Not at all but he should've talked to the commissioner about it instead of the media? That way it's discussed in private.

I have nothing against Burrows I just don't like people saying sht to our players. 

Burrows going public with Auger's actions was a good thing for the long term credibility of the league, if he just went to the Commish with his complaints, I have little doubt it would have just been swept under the rug.

• Upvote 3

Burrows said he didn’t go there in his comments.

“That’s absolutely false,” he stressed. “I wouldn’t go there. It was a pretty normal comment and we’ll leave it at that. There’s a lot of chirping that goes on — and I don’t do as much as I used to in the past — and I try to keep it legit and fair. That’s what it was.”

Tootoo wanted to engage Burrows after they exited the penalty box and wound up fighting Derek Dorsett. Burrows didn’t talk the NHL directly about the incident and his understanding is the NHL is wary of being cautious on the ice.

“There are so many microphones and cameras on the bench and the penalty box and I’m sure they (NHL) looked at it, but nothing came out of it,” added Burrows. “You have to watch what you say. When I first came up, that (trash talking) was a part of my game and I tried to bring energy playing five minutes a game. If I could get somebody off their game and take a penalty on me, that was part of game. Now, as I’ve mellowed or matured, I’m pretty much trying got help us win.bkuzma@theprovince.com

The Burrows things was different....it was someone IN CHARGE of the game getting involved in it.  Had no place in it.  People of authority aren't participants like the players are.  And it becomes an abuse of that power when you use it for personal reasons.  Unprofessional.  Can't compare the Auger thing, sorry CE.  And Burr didn't just speak out...he had mics shoved in his face asking about it as I recall.  So he answered, honestly.  Which was a good thing...when things are swept out of the closet like that.  Takes guts to go there.

I just find that Tootoo (the pot) calling the kettle black is a bit hypocritical and he should have known that.   Sort it out, boys.  I imagine he'll have a bit of a vendetta...this is where the Bertuzzi incident needs to be recalled and actions enforced to protect against it.  Been there, done this...doesn't end well for some.  So any follow up by the Devils should be monitored and curbed or.... swiftly and severely addressed.  It has to be concluded at this point but I suspect it won't be.  I hope, for Tootoo's sake and future journey, that it is.

Anyhow, nice to have closure so we can drop this, as it should be.  Go Burr!

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Upvote 3

Burrows wouldn't repeat what the comments were but did say he's said it and heard it multiple times on the ice. #Canucks

Burrows on Tootoo allegations: "I don't think I crossed the line. I've been told the same in the past."

Burrows would not repeat his comments, but said they had nothing to do with Tootoo's personal history. #Canucks

"I don't think I crossed the line" said Burrows. "I've said and heard it before, it should have stayed on the ice. It's a battle out there"

Are we are all surprised?  Why would anyone trust Tootoo?

Tootoo should have been ejected and suspended for leaving the bench to start a fight.  I think this was an attempt to deflect the issue and distract the  league by playing the victim card and it worked.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Upvote 3

just like how Burrows kept what was said on the ice against Auger? But Auger was a POS and so is tootoo so I guess it's all good?

Surely you can see the difference between alleging that a ref announced his intention (and followed through) to unfairly call a game in order to punish a player for "embarrassing" him in a previous game and two players talking trash to one another. One is about an abuse of power and professional standards. The other is just about hurt feelings.

Absent any barred language (racist slurs, etc.), hurting someone's feeling isn't against the rules because CBA doesn't stand for the "Cry Baby Articles." And without specific details saying otherwise, Burr isn't even accused of violating NHL rules against barred language. He's just being accused of hurting someone's feelings. So yeah, this is one of those times it should have stayed on the ice and been dealt with by the people involved. And it's entirely different than a official abusing his power for personal reasons.

Tootoo should have been ejected and suspended for leaving the bench to start a fight.  I think this was an attempt to deflect the league and play the victim card and it worked.

I actually agree with this.  I think Tootoo was trying to deflect from jumping off the bench to start a fight.  If you watch the replay he was looking to engage anyone.  Threw punches as soon as Dorset came close.  I think he realized what he did and chose to deflect to Burrows who probably does trash talk a lot and has a reputation.  Made himself look like a victim.  With all the mics around the arena if he did go out of line the league would surely catch it.  Obviously they thought not.  So now after all that the only person who thought something wrong was said was the guy who started the fight.

Piece of trash move by a piece of trash player.

• Upvote 1

True.  Except in that case there was clear proof of Auger's statements and action.

There was as much "proof" that Auger said what Burrows alleges than there was that Burrows said to Tootoo. The big diff is that there would be no reason for Auger to say "I'm going to get you tonight" whereas Burrows is well known for his classless trash talking.

Love him as a player, not so crazy about him as a person.

• Upvote 1

Tootoo should have been ejected and suspended for leaving the bench to start a fight.  I think this was an attempt to deflect the issue and distract the  league by playing the victim card and it worked.

Seemed to have worked alright. I've googled, looked on NHL.com, I can't see anywhere that Tootoo was handed a suspension which should have been automatic. As it was with John Scott last year:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-suspends-sharks-john-scott-two-games-for-leaving-bench/

As expected, the NHL handed out its first suspension of the season for a regular-season on-ice incident Monday, hitting San Jose Sharks winger John Scott with a two-game ban for leaving the bench to start a fight with Ducks winger Tim Jackman Sunday.

As the NHL department of player safety made clear in a now standard video explanation it hands out after each suspension, Scott left the bench on a legal line change, but made no effort to play the puck and instead instigated a fight with Jackman. Scott himself admitted he had no intent to join the play and was strictly interested in throwing fists:

Like the coward he is, he made up #%@# to make himself the victim, and the disciplinary department seems they won't dare to come off as un-PC to the point of punishing someone seemingly punished enough, and a poster boy for first nations and courage in overcoming addiction, which is laudable, but it shouldn't excuse him from losing his head and leaving the bench. I guess they still could hand it out, but you'd think they would have by now.

There was as much "proof" that Auger said what Burrows alleges than there was that Burrows said to Tootoo. The big diff is that there would be no reason for Auger to say "I'm going to get you tonight" whereas Burrows is well known for his classless trash talking.

Auger's gone,  Burr's still here.  Kind of speaks volumes.

So what DID he say during that pre game skate?  "I'm cheering for you buddy/pal?".  I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

All trash talking is classless...that's kind of the point.  But don't let that stop you from pinning it directly on Burr like he's the only guy to ever have participated.   I'd expect nothing less.

'Proof is in the pudding' they say.  Auger's actions vs no league action against Burrows.
Chirping is part of sports. I don't believe Burr crossed the line.

• Upvote 1

Where to start. "No reason" for Auger to do what he did? There was no GOOD reason you mean. No PROFESSIONAL reason. There WAS a reason for a small-minded short tempered, begrudged person to do what he did.

Burrows had lain down on the ice after a hard hit a little too long for Augers liking in a previous game, and Auger thought he had been made a fool of and Burrows was "embellishing" his injury to get the call. Perhaps he did, perhaps the hit actually did keep him down. Alex has no history of embellishing injury.

Secondly there was the pregame "discussion" film that Auger had with Alex, which was a rare thing for a ref to single out a player for a talk before a game.

Third, look at those penalties called on Burrows which ended up costing the game. Especially that "interference" call in the third. Laughable.

And fourth, suspiciously Auger was quietly removed from first Canuck games, and then his job....for what?

"Love him as a player, not so crazy about him as a person."

I'd think you'd have the opposite view.  You actually hate the way he plays (among other aspects, an agitator and trash talker), but you'd find he is very intelligent, respectful, and giving to charity and fans outside of the rink where he leaves all that trash talking on the ice as just part of the job.

• Upvote 2

Tootoo and Burrows are both trash... they're both dirty players and I don't care who's dirtier. Refs shouldn't make it personal but Burrows did himself no favours with his dirty reputation in the first place. I'd enjoy the Canucks a hell of a lot more if Burrows wasn't on the team.... it was mega bad when we also had Torres, Lapierre and Kesler... yes that was part of the cup final team but if they just stuck to hockey they would have won the cup or at least lost honourably. 

• Upvote 1

Tootoo and Burrows are both trash... they're both dirty players and I don't care who's dirtier. Refs shouldn't make it personal but Burrows did himself no favours with his dirty reputation in the first place. I'd enjoy the Canucks a hell of a lot more if Burrows wasn't on the team.... it was mega bad when we also had Torres, Lapierre and Kesler... yes that was part of the cup final team but if they just stuck to hockey they would have won the cup or at least lost honourably. 

Burr stands up for the team whether you like it or not and, if you're mentioning Kesler, Torres and Lapierre, you probably don't like a gritty style of play I would imagine. Emotions happen in sports.

Don't forget that Boston also had the same stuff going on. But hey, it's your choice to be butthurt and resentful.

• Upvote 1

Felling pretty smug right now that my hate for Tootoo is seemingly shared by a few others here.

Reporter  "Did you have to talk to the league about anything ? "

Burr "....buttuh  my understanding is like that there are so many cameras right now on us, mics on the bench, mics in the penalty box. I'm sure dey looked at it and nothing came out of it"

side note Canucks reporters are mindless goofs.   By far the worst team reporters in this league. How many times back to back are they going to ask him what he said ?

Well Tootoo would be one hell of a liar and the worst kind of scum if it's not true. If there's an investigation and third parties like the guys who ran the penalty box say it never happened then I'll stand corrected. But I believe there's a 90% chance that what Burrows said was pretty ugly.

So let's not skip this because you were so sure.

And, wrong. 

Kind of makes what you say/feel about Burr irrelevant because, in standing corrected, you've missed the mark.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Upvote 2