The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

23 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

I mean I loved Burr, but it is hard to argue that he didn't cross the line on occasion.

The guy played with a ton of heart and always put it on the line, but sometimes in doing so he said and did things that were definitely regrettable.

3 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I mean I loved Burr, but it is hard to argue that he didn't cross the line on occasion.

The guy played with a ton of heart and always put it on the line, but sometimes in doing so he said and did things that were definitely regrettable.

It's not so much that, it's the fact that they basically say he doesn't belong in the NHL, etc. One guy even trying to claim that he heard that Burrows was a bad teammate and nobody liked  him in the room. 

12 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

The point I was making Deb, is that unless Burrows was producing points to the club which he was doing well with this year considering the miles on him, there likely was not much of a spot for him on the team moving forward despite what Benning may say publicly about having had the possibility of bringing him back.

Burrows brought more to the table than points, yes, but intangibles come in all different forms and is not exclusive to experience or age. The team is trending younger, and the one thing I've noticed about younger players stepping into the league over the past 3-5 seasons, is that recently they tend to bond more with similarly aged peers than they do with their senior counterparts.

The veterans who have been in the league, and I'll use Henrik as an example, think a certain way about how things should be done, or quantify effort a certain way. Recent young players I think are more mature than 18-19 year olds were (overall) than 5-10 years ago because the business of hockey is everywhere, and the expectation of what it is to be a pro filters down into the developmental leagues.

Burrows was and is a heart and soul guy, I just don't know that that "kind" of intangible has a place on this team moving forward. The other side of it is, Horvat appears to be the new up and coming leader of the team, and if he's going to lead the team he has to be able to do that without feeling obliged to stay in the shadow of the veterans on this team, sooner or later they will move on same as Burrows. Edler, Sedins, Erikkson I suspect will not be with the team inside of 3 years, once the retool has been completed, and Benning went a long way toward completing that retool by aquiring Dahlen.

I do not believe that JB and TL are done yet with the "retool" of the team. We still have a lot of assets that can and will attract a lot of attention should they be made available, for example; Elder,  Tanev, Sbisa, dare I say it (the Sedins), Miller, Markstrom, Dorset, Hansen. JB needs to aquire as many draft picks as possible, or prospects that are ready now or at the start of next season. This is not the last we have heard from JB, I think that management has finally realized that a full on rebuild is in order now, not later!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Trash talking, happens in sports.  If you think he's the only one to ever do it, you haven't been around sports enough.  He has been used as the poster boy,that's all.  Gee, wonder what Brad Marchand has said in scrums.  Pronger.  Ha, Sean Avery.      

And Burr owned it, and apologized.  He's grown and matured a lot...some simply stay stuck and dwell.    Just because others chose not to move on from it...they have an agenda.   POS certainly fits that bill.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Trash talking, happens in sports.  If you think he's the only one to ever do it, you haven't been around sports enough.  He has been used as the poster boy,that's all.  Gee, wonder what Brad Marchand has said in scrums.  Pronger.  Ha, Sean Avery.      

And Burr owned it, and apologized.  He's grown and matured a lot...some simply stay stuck and dwell.    Just because others chose not to move on from it...they have an agenda.   POS certainly fits that bill.

Mrs. Alf is moping about the house.  Burr was her favourite current Canuck:(

So long Mr. Burrows, it was great watching you develop into a great hockey player.  Versatile and able to do whatever the team needed.  We will miss you.  Man o man, my girls were just little ones when you came into our lives, how tyme flies...

Godspeed Alex, and good luck in Ottawa.  

35 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I think the minute human beings stop getting involved to the point where trash talking doesn't exit is the minute sports dies in general. Emotions are the heart and soul behind almost any sport and to except humans being to stop being human beings..... it's simply unrealistic....

Burrows is a human being, like you, like me and I don't see what people should get upset over humans having emotions. Sometimes those emotions need to be let out. That's sports. Get over it. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

Oh man..I don't know where to begin..such a bittersweet day - growing up watching the core that you cheered for so passionately slowly being shipped out one by one...love that we're getting younger and also a little sh#tty to see fan favourites leave..

Things I love and will remember about Burrows

• being part of the Three musketeers and breaking into the league with Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa - loved the bromance they had together
  • being an annoying pest and annoying the sh#t out of opponents (sometimes crossing the line - but you can tell that he really matured over the years) 
  • his overtime goal vs the Blues to seal the series in the first round and his arrow tribute to Bourdon
  • becoming the third Sedin and ripping it up with them
  • SLAYING THE DRAGON GAME 7 OVERTIME Vs. Chicago - ONE OF MY PROUDEST MOMENTS AS A CANUCK FAN - I remember tears streaming down my face automatically when he slapped the rolling puck past Crawford..
  • his Game 2 Overtime goal vs. Boston in the SCF finals
  • his amazing penalty killing - he must have racked up a lot of short handed goals over his time here..
  • his involvement in the community - especially the mental health initiatives this year 
  • his humor, work ethic, and his great story of going from the ECHL to the NHL

Thank you Burrows for being a big part of my early teens throughout to my early adulthood - you were one of my heroes during your time here and I wish you all the best with the Senators. Thank you for the 12 years Burr :)

Edited by MaxLapierreAwesomeFace
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My family all have called after work to see if I'm ok.  (I'm not)

Remember the ending to Old Yeller Deb?

Perhaps eventually the new pup will make the loss of the old dog a little easier to take. Now Burrs' career has another legacy here as he will be linked to Dahlen for however long he plays here.

• Upvote 1