The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Just came to mind this morning, but Burrows is in some very select company with Stan Smyl and Tiger Williams, all of which did more with less, don't get me wrong, they all had talent........but all played above their ceilings, and their shear will elevated them in games to hero status.....Burrows will surely be missed, and it will be hard to replace his passion.......

Who will fill his shoes? If anyone? Labate?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My family all have called after work to see if I'm ok.  (I'm not)

The guy is still around and playing hockey, and will be playing hockey in the spring.  Hopefully after all the other Canucks have got bored of golfing.  I think it's great, and I am sure you will get a brand new Burrows jersey on your next celebration, birthday or anniversary.  So that is a pretty good thing.   Who knows those colors might actually look good to you, and on you.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• -SN- unfeatured this topic

Hockey is a business and the team had to do this. But they kept it classy and respectful and I have a feeling Burrows will be back with the Canucks, either just before he retired, or when he gets honoured by the team, or when he comes back in a coaching role

36 minutes ago, hockeyville88 said:

Hockey is a business and the team had to do this. But they kept it classy and respectful and I have a feeling Burrows will be back with the Canucks, either just before he retired, or when he gets honoured by the team, or when he comes back in a coaching role

I was just thinking about the difference in the way Burr left as opposed to Kesler. Burr always put the team first and is pure class (at least off the ice)!

On a side note another former Canuck, Eddie Lack looks to be still supporting Canucks' causes. Good on him. If I was on twitter I would give him a taco or something.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Baggins said:

Even if they're not in stock you can order one at the team store. I was at a Boxing Day game where they were giving out discount scratch cards. I got a 50% off card for the team store. That was Burrows first full season on the team. Headed for the team store fully intending to get a Henrik jersey but then thought about how many times I had already defended Burrows being on the team that season. There was a thread at the time, almost a year before this thread was started, calling Burrows is a waste of a roster spot. So When I got there I decided on a Burrows jersey instead but didn't have any in my size. I prepaid at the 50% discount and about 10 days later got the call that my jersey had arrived.

You're a good man, Baggins. 

Burr is my all-time favorite Canuck. His passion for the game, dedication to the team, support of his community, unwavering sense of humor, and down to earth attitude have always been easy to see and Canuck fans know that he is a man of character. I was crazy excited when my wife gave me a signed jersey of his for my birthday one year, I will continue to wear it proudly! It will be beyond weird to see Burrows on another team, but I am happy that he will continue to play the game that he loves with a competitive team. Truly the end of an era. I wish Alex all the best in Ottawa and will be cheering for the Sens in the playoffs!

The only people ahead of Burrows in most canuck categories either have their jersey retired or are going to have them retired (Sedins). I'm probably biased but I think his jersey should be retired.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, \/ijay said:

The only people ahead of Burrows in most canuck categories either have their jersey retired or are going to have them retired (Sedins). I'm probably biased but I think his jersey should be retired.

Jersey retired is a stretch. He was a great player, but had a bad reputation. Had a few big moments, but that doesn't allow him to be in the same ring as Linden or Smyll. 

Retire the jersey. 

I think there is something wrong with you if you can stand to see someone else wear the No 14.

It wasn't all one way with the Sedins and they acknowledged that. He helped make their legend and I think Burr deserves his place in Canucks history to be recognised.

As for those who say he did some silly things well so did MANY other great players who were acknowledged by their Club.