The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Don't even like to muddy Burr's waters at this point with POS.    Burr has moved on...this next chapter for him is an absolute testament to what he has become and his worth that, at 35 years old, teams are just starting to recognize.     Patrick is staying stuck if his focus is what someone said years ago.

We DID really need Burr and he was the type to put the teams' needs ahead of his own.  Now it's time for him to get what he really needs, by way of sharing it all with his family and, hopefully, getting a cup. 

Next year, after the Sharks take this one.

Initially when O'Sullivan first brought up the story he may have a point and Burrows had the class and courage to own his mistake and apologized for it. As of now, O'Sullivan still continually bash Burrows, the Canucks organization and finds every single opportunity that is there to whine about Burrows, it goes to show how much of a baby he is and he is unable to move on from his past. There is no secret why he had such a short NHL career because his maturity and mentality level is nothing compare to those of Burrows. Burrows fought an uphill battle for his entire career and made his opportunities count. If O'Sullivan would of just put half of his focus into his professional career, he wouldn't have to be out of the league so early and has to rely on his stupid book (I mean if you first look at the name of the author many ppl would probably be like who is that) to make a living. No respect to Patrick O'Sullivan and his garbage and I will never buy his book (not like I plan to anyways) to support him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

At this point I must confess and say there was a time last season where I thought Burr had lost it but he recovered this season and was back to his best.

Have to figure he was injured last year, the way he's skating so much better this season and back on his game.  Can only hope (wish) that's the reason for the Sedins to have fallen off like they have this year.

18 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I would rather have seen the Twins move as a package for a single top 15 first rounder

Because every team has $14M kicking around (or $7M at 50% retained). And every team that is either borderline sneaking into the playoffs, or out of the playoffs (top 15 pick as you say) is going to hand it over for aforementioned $7-$14M of cap space they likely don't have.

18 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Was just listening to Boucher answer a reporters question about how Burr did in his first game.

He talked about Burr's unbelievable story, then said from a systems standpoint, Burr had watched a bit of film and some drawings on a whiteboard and went in and played a perfect systems game for his first game. Hs said here's a guy who's spent the last 12 years playing a much different system coming in and even in practice was the one pointing out some things out in the defensive zone that these existing players are STILL struggling with. He mentioned that Burr hit, blocked shots and was everything Boucher wants his team to be. This after just one game.

This stuff Boucher mentioned is where the team will miss Burr (and Hansen) the most. Setting an example for the young players coming in. The twins may be  able to show the kids how to be professional off the ice, but Burr (and Hansen) were the leaders showing how to be professional on the ice.

I have to agree. The Sedins are great guys and for a number of years were top forward combo in the league. Are they great role models in a lot of ways. But they are not great on-ice role models in the sense that you don't really want young guys, especially young guys with marginal talent, trying to imitate their game.  In most cases it won't work. But imitating Burrows is something most guys would benefit from.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Because every team has $14M kicking around (or $7M at 50% retained). And every team that is either borderline sneaking into the playoffs, or out of the playoffs (top 15 pick as you say) is going to hand it over for aforementioned $7-$14M of cap space they likely don't have.

I was speaking hypothetically. Also stated if contractual timing was similar (UFA situation).

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I was speaking hypothetically. Also stated if contractual timing was similar (UFA situation).

Hence,

2 hours ago, Monty said:

(or $7M at 50% retained).

Upcoming UFA wouldn't change the fact that any of those teams (top 15 pick :picard: ) would have to have, at minimum, $7M in cap space.

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

Upcoming UFA wouldn't change the fact that any of those teams (top 15 pick :picard: ) would have to have, at minimum, $7M in cap space.

I don't really see them as being tradeable but wouldn't the acquiring team only require the pro-rated cap space? If it's their contract year, and the Canucks retained 50%, wouldn't the acquiring team only need the roughly 20-25 games worth of that 7 million (50% retention) in cap space?

10 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I don't really see them as being tradeable but wouldn't the acquiring team only require the pro-rated cap space? If it's their contract year, and the Canucks retained 50%, wouldn't the acquiring team only need the roughly 20-25 games worth of that 7 million (50% retention) in cap space?

Absolutely, but how many teams have ever had that much pro-rated cap space sitting around on the off chance that the Sedin's were to waive to come to their team? 

And secondly, assuming the Sedin's were to waive, why would they waive to go to a bottom 15 team in the league?

And third, assuming they did waive to go to a specific bottom 15 team, that team knows that the amount of teams competing for their services is so small, due to the cap space needed and roster space, that they wouldn't even need to give away a "top 15 pick"

I love the Sedin's, and feel as though most people do not truly understand how special they truly were. Twins dominating the NHL and winning back to back scoring titles is something that will never happen ever again. But they are far removed from being worth a top 15 pick when a few years away from retirement.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Absolutely, but how many teams have ever had that much pro-rated cap space sitting around on the off chance that the Sedin's were to waive to come to their team? 

And secondly, assuming the Sedin's were to waive, why would they waive to go to a bottom 15 team in the league?

And third, assuming they did waive to go to a specific bottom 15 team, that team knows that the amount of teams competing for their services is so small, due to the cap space needed and roster space, that they wouldn't even need to give away a "top 15 pick"

I love the Sedin's, and feel as though most people do not truly understand how special they truly were. Twins dominating the NHL and winning back to back scoring titles is something that will never happen ever again. But they are far removed from being worth a top 15 pick when a few years away from retirement.

My thoughts exactly. I just wanted to point out that the cap space isn't an obstacle that can't be overcome, especially with a bad contract coming back.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Hence,

Well if the Canucks were to retain 50% and accept a cap dump coming back 4-5 million player, they'd only need 2-3 million in cap space. There's ways of getting it done... but I doubt anyone wants them that bad and I doubt we want to get rid of them bad evough to retain 7 million....

Not with Goldobin. Dudes a beast. Still, Burrows will always be a Canuck. The heart and soul of Vancity through and through. The Sedins and Edler are really the last remnants of that amazing squad we have. It's truely a new generation.

I can't wait until Burrows comes back though. Give that man a standing ovation

Looking at the HF Boards on the Ottawa board its funny reading through their Burrows/Dahlen trade thread.  It started with a poll heavily against the trade. Now its swung the other way.  A few Canucks fans lent their voice to the thread praising Alex and assuring them of what they got. (Including me under a different handle). As each of the first two games were played the comments were starting to come around for Alex. But of course no fans want to lose a highly touted prospect. But this is the last post as of now from PeterSidorkiewicz:

After the trade we had tons of Nucks fans coming in here telling us we got a really solid player who still has gas left in the tank and instantly makes your team better.

Most of their posts by were ignored by people pissed off refusing to believe their opinion of Burrows.

Then he plays for us and people are like wow I had no idea Burrows was gonna play like this!

Yeah, you would have known if you chose to open your eyes and ears and stop listening to only your own opinion instead.

Believe me if Canucks fans thought they "fleeced" is because Burrows sucked now and had nothing left they would have told us that, but they didn't.

• Upvote 3