The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I was reading an article on TheScore talking about point production of players who were traded, but what caught my eye was the tweet they used in their article.

Deadline dividends: Vanek, Burrows, Stafford coming through for new clubs
http://www.thescore.com/news/1259534

If you discount any empty net goals against in games where we pulled the goalie (and we scored to tie instead), plus we got full points against the weakest teams all year, the Canucks are a playoff team. WOO HOO

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I was reading an article on TheScore talking about point production of players who were traded, but what caught my eye was the tweet they used in their article.

Deadline dividends: Vanek, Burrows, Stafford coming through for new clubs
http://www.thescore.com/news/1259534

Actually, he's got 4 points in 2 games vs. Colorado, and 3 points in the other 8 games since the trade.

That's hardly "invisible". 7 points in 10 games? Gimme a break....

And it's not even the post season yet which is where he's gonna bring it for them. 

Speaking of Vanek, you know, the guy who was brought in specifically to score? He's got 7 points in 9 games for Ottawa but 4 of those were in one game vs. Toronto, so .... where's the half empty glass for that guy?

Oh that's right... it's Burrows, and everyone in the media still has Ron MacLean Syndrome :rolleyes:

Edited by darkpoet
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

Actually, he's got 4 points in 2 games vs. Colorado, and 3 points in the other 8 games since the trade.

And it's not even the post season yet which is where he's gonna bring it for them. 

Speaking of Vanek, you know, the guy who was brought in specifically to score? He's got 7 points in 9 games for Ottawa but 4 of those were in one game vs. Toronto, so .... where's the half empty glass for that guy?

Oh that's right... it's Burrows, and everyone in the media still has Ron MacLean Syndrome :rolleyes:

What that guy is trying to say is his points against a bottom feeder team don't count and out of his 3 other points one was an empty net so that doesn't really count, so he has only 2 assists. It's a joke of a comment and I even voiced my opinion on the matter on his post. 

Vanek plays for Florida :wacko:

Media hacks still trying to prove a point via Burr.  Making themselves look silly at this point.  Give it up, guys.  He's a success story, not a failure.  But some wanna be journalists who keep regurgitating the same stuff year after year?  Not so sure.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Media hacks still trying to prove a point via Burr.  Making themselves look silly at this point.  Give it up, guys.  He's a success story, not a failure.  But some wanna be journalists who keep regurgitating the same stuff year after year?  Not so sure.

I think a lot of it is envy. Lots of people are bitter about how their lives turned out so they get mad at joe average who had the work ethic, heart and drive to push until they died or made it... but the one thing they never accept is no. 

Fact is Burr was willing to push until he made it or died trying. That's why his story is amazing, lots of these reporters played it safe their whole lives & I think are just jealous that they didn't have the balls to follow their dreams. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, darkpoet said:

you covered it all

read my mind i guess when i was sleeping and my guard was down :unsure:

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think a lot of it is envy. Lots of people are bitter about how their lives turned out so they get mad at joe average who had the work ethic, heart and drive to push until they died or made it... but the one thing they never accept is no. 

Fact is Burr was willing to push until he made it or died trying. That's why his story is amazing, lots of these reporters played it safe their whole lives & I think are just jealous that they didn't have the balls to follow their dreams. 

tony gallagher comes to mind

heard another diatribe from him on the radio yesterday

made me ill

he is such a waste of time

i do not know why he is given air time

Edited by coastal.view

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

tony gallagher comes to mind

heard another diatribe from him on the radio yesterday

made me ill

he is such a waste of time

i do not know why he is given air time

Crypt Keeper is still alive?

Is he on a formaldehyde diet? :lol:

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2017 at 9:28 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lol looked back at the OP;

28 posts, -1308.... those are Edler numbers.

What blows me away were the number of people who gave it a +, well after it was created.  I skipped around the reputation history a bit, and couldn't believe the plusses, even during his heyday with the team.  Those people didn't like some of his questionable antics, I guess?

That, and it took our Burrows uber-fan @debluvscanucks 2 years to neg the OP.  I wonder if there is a story behind that :).  Maybe she was like me, and just never noticed the thread right away.

I remember when I first saw this, it was well after the OP was made, and had to neg it.  To Clutch's credit, if you look back on when it was created, Burrows was not the accomplished player we knew him to be (22 goals in 200 games over 3 seasons).  Who knows, maybe this thread inspired Burr, since in that same year, he had his first of four 20 goal seasons with the team.

What really makes me laugh now is looking at the players Clutch thought we should play in Burr's place.  Krog, who played 4 games for the Canucks that year, and never played in the NHL again (he was 33 at the time).  Pettinger, who played another 68 NHL games over two years after Clutch's post, then moved on to Germany.  And Brown, who at least was a youngster at the time and so perhaps the OP thought there was some promise, scored 18 goals over 8 seasons after this infamous thread was started.  I sure hope Clutch is not one of our scouts!

19 hours ago, Kragar said:

What blows me away were the number of people who gave it a +, well after it was created.  I skipped around the reputation history a bit, and couldn't believe the plusses, even during his heyday with the team.  Those people didn't like some of his questionable antics, I guess?

That, and it took our Burrows uber-fan @debluvscanucks 2 years to neg the OP.  I wonder if there is a story behind that :).  Maybe she was like me, and just never noticed the thread right away.

I remember when I first saw this, it was well after the OP was made, and had to neg it.  To Clutch's credit, if you look back on when it was created, Burrows was not the accomplished player we knew him to be (22 goals in 200 games over 3 seasons).  Who knows, maybe this thread inspired Burr, since in that same year, he had his first of four 20 goal seasons with the team.

What really makes me laugh now is looking at the players Clutch thought we should play in Burr's place.  Krog, who played 4 games for the Canucks that year, and never played in the NHL again (he was 33 at the time).  Pettinger, who played another 68 NHL games over two years after Clutch's post, then moved on to Germany.  And Brown, who at least was a youngster at the time and so perhaps the OP thought there was some promise, scored 18 goals over 8 seasons after this infamous thread was started.  I sure hope Clutch is not one of our scouts!

It's pretty safe to say that those same people are dumb as doornails.

4 hours ago, Kragar said:

To put this thread in perspective, my oldest wasn't even born yet, when this thread was created... he's now 7 and a half years old. 

Also so I noticed I never minused it, I guess for the last 9 years I must have thought that I did. 

On the 10 year anniversary, they should email clutch and invite him back. 

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

To put this thread in perspective, my oldest wasn't even born yet, when this thread was created... he's now 7 and a half years old. 

Also so I noticed I never minused it, I guess for the last 9 years I must have thought that I did. 

On the 10 year anniversary, they should email clutch and invite him back. 

I wonder if Clutch bailed when Burr turned things up a notch or two that year, as he couldn't bear the shame.

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

I wonder if Clutch bailed when Burr turned things up a notch or two that year, as he couldn't bear the shame.

Clutch was last seen in March of 2014 and our own Deb had the pleasure of banning him at that time.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Clutch was last seen in March of 2014 and our own Deb had the pleasure of banning him at that time.

Thanks for the update.  I guess it is only fitting that Deb had the honor.

• Upvote 1