The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Pfff.. Burrows rocks, it'd be a cryin shame to see Burrows go. He plays hard every night, sure he might end up on the ice once in a while, but he's definitely putting his fair share of opponents bodies there too. Not to mention that when he's out there the other team takes notice. PK? Ya he kicks as s! perfect opportunity for a couple of the top line guys get a breather while he runs amok on the other team's PP. Krog? not bad but I have a tough time (so far) replacing Burrows with Krog - not to dis Krog he's great in the faceoff circle and has a good pass I just haven't seen enough of him play to say Wow! - yet.

Brown? meh

Pettinger? rather see hodgson or hansen or raymond or wellwood

As for letting her rip - rip away the 10 mil offer to Mr Can't Make Up His Mind and let's get on with it. Other teams that are "in the hunt" for Mr CMUHM (lol soooo close to chump!) are starting to see the eye rolling, wait till the new year, ho-hum, drag it out as long as possible waiting game. Yaaaawwwn. We can do so much better by saying, "Fine, have a great time playing poker, but we're going to find us a hockey player!!"

Anybody else smell that?? It smells soooo goood!! I wont 'bless it', but I am STOKED about our team. Make it a year to remember boys. I'll keep the beer cold.

• Upvote 1

Your opinion is inept. He is perfect at doing his job. He agitates, he is a ferocious checker and he scores an occassional goal.

Buy a clue buddy!

What the hell..are you watching the Vancouver Canucks and Alexander Burrows? Wow..another one of these jerkoffs who thinks that agitators should fight. That is not his role, but he has still done it. Burrows is hard work personafied. You clutch can best be described as someone's bum on someone else's head.

I don't think your watching the same guy as the rest of us. The Alex Burrows I know fights quite often, and even gave Dan Carcillo quite the beating last year. He was also the only player in the league with 30+ points and 150+ penalty minutes. He's the best pest in the league, he works hard, he gets the other team off their game, and he can pot the odd goal. There's nothing not to like about him. Anytime one of your checkers can drive Vinny Lecalvelier so crazy he drops the gloves and takes himself out of the game, you want to keep that guy in your lineup.

burrows is the hardest working player on this team. he's great on the pk and on the forecheck, and when he gets the opportunity, he puts away some of the prettiest goals ever seen. he does a lot more for the canucks than you think.

Man prepare to get hugely flamed

He's probably top 3 agitators in the league and cost almost nothing

Rated 2nd but costs 500k, the op doesn't know what he's talking about

FLAME ON!

31 pts for < $500,000 in a shut down role.

You sir, are a douche.

For the first time in a long time I think the majority of posters are.... agreeing. Wierd. Anyway, at the OP: go watch soccer. I concur with everybody above.

• Upvote 1

Wow... never thought CDC could get any worse. The guy plays his heart out there and is effective in his role and considering how much he gets paid. This post is probably due to that ONE bad penalty last night b/c he probably forgot about the new rule in the moment. Please END yourself and also put a bullet in your parents before you do so they dont produce another.

Wow... never thought CDC could get any worse. The guy plays his heart out there and is effective in his role and considering how much he gets paid. This post is probably due to that ONE bad penalty last night b/c he probably forgot about the new rule in the moment. Please END yourself and also put a bullet in your parents before you do so they dont produce another.

intelligent reply thanks for sharing.

I don't think your watching the same guy as the rest of us. The Alex Burrows I know fights quite often, and even gave Dan Carcillo quite the beating last year. He was also the only player in the league with 30+ points and 150+ penalty minutes. He's the best pest in the league, he works hard, he gets the other team off their game, and he can pot the odd goal. There's nothing not to like about him. Anytime one of your checkers can drive Vinny Lecalvelier so crazy he drops the gloves and takes himself out of the game, you want to keep that guy in your lineup.

While I agree with you that Burrows is an awesome third liner and great value at his current price, I have to disagree with you and everyone else that somehow PIM are a positive statistic. Any idiot can take a penalty. It's crazy the fantasy leagues and people who think someone is "playing hard" because they commit a penalty. Only in hockey is this true. In football you have hell to pay if you take penalties. Is it awesome to foul out in basketball? If committing a penalty is so awesome why does everyone like to be on the power play? I know this sounds elementary, but everyone needs to wake up. If I walked up to someone and punched them can I explain to the judge that I was "playing life harder." Use your own mind, people.

wow 7 pages of flaming, has any one agreed with him yet? i don't feel like reading that much of the same thing.

heres my thought, your right any oe can play pk but very few can play pk as good as bur and kes they are so good AV plays them both on a 5 on 3 instead of 1 fwd and 2 d-men.

oh and a good agitator doesn't fight a lot, their job is to get under the skin of the other teams top players, and try to get them to take bad penalties, fighting is the enforcers job

Edited by edler rocks
  • Upvote 1

I don't agree with the OP, and I'm not saying we should get rid of Burrows, but...if you have paid any attention at all to these preseason games, you'd notice we have taken A LOT of penalties. So we should be doing everything possible to stay out of the box...our goalies will only be so good on the PK before the fold when we are taking anywhere from 6-10+ penalties every game. And these damn hooking calls are the worst...it pisses the hell out of me to see people taking hooking penalty after hooking penalty...it isn't rocket science, in the post-lockout NHL, you will not get away with hooking, yet we continue to do it anyways; it's pathetic, and if I was Coach V, I'd be getting really frustrated with people taking the penalties time after time.