The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

The idea of an agitator is that he doesn't have to fight to draw a penalty. What good does him fighting do? What the hell is the point of a playmaker if he isn't a sniper?

If it's true that everyone can PK as well as anyone else, why doesn't everybody have 100% PK efficiency?

Edited by HalfMoon
  • Upvote 1

Okay, a year ago, when Burrows was coming off his 3 goal season, a lot of people wanted him out of our top 12 forwards. He then proved he belongs in the NHL. He has tremendous chemistry with Kesler and if he puts up a few more points this season, how much would he get on the free agent market? Jarko Ruutu commands good coin and he has less skill than Burrows and takes more foolish penalties. I may not like everyone on this team, but Burrows is the LAST player they should move. It's Sean Avery without the drama. Avery didn't develop into an offensive threat right away either. I could see Burrows getting Avery money with a 40 point season this year. Hell, if Ryder's worth 4 million coming off a bad season....

Hardest working Canuck in a VERY LONG TIME. You can't teach talent, but you can't teach heart either. You either have it or you don't and he has it in spades.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations. You read five words of my post. You apparently missed the last half: He led the Canucks in PIM, short-handed goals, and plus/minus. He also scored 3 gamewinners, tied for second on the Canucks last season in that category and was second on the team in hits.

All that for league minimum, in the salary cap era, makes him a very difficult player to replace.

We need Burrows. Who can replace his tenacity on the 3rd or 4th line? He is great on the penalty kill and he is a very good defensive player. He is one of our best forecheckers. He'll have to reduce his penalties during the regular season. He is a better offensive player than Brown or Rypien. Hodgson is not ready for a full time role in the NHL. Krog is a decent offensive forward but he doesn' have the defensive ability of Burrows. Blood Brothers is out to lunch!

• Upvote 1

Why do people want to get rid of character players ? Burrows has worked his tail off to get to where he is. Everyday he shows up to play 100%, guys like that you don't get rid of.

Cook was a character player and most of the weeners on here and the dumb wad media ripped him to shreds.

It's funny how there's a history of players' performances seeming to vastly improve and be invigorated after leaving Vancouver.

..wait..that's not funny at all :huh:

Cook was a character player and most of the weeners on here and the dumb wad media ripped him to shreds.

It's funny how there's a history of players' performances seeming to vastly improve and be invigorated after leaving Vancouver.

..wait..that's not funny at all :huh:

Please enlighten us with the names of these players you speak of.

• Upvote 1

Burrows has worked his arse off to become an NHL regular. If that hard work and determination doesn't fit under the MG Character column then I don't know what does. So my hat goes off to Burrows. He is a great checking line winger who plays that kind of Ruutu/Cooke role which we have open this year.

On the other hand, I think with all of the grit/toughness that Hordi, Rypien, and even Brown can bring up front, I would much rather them play and be able to back up their actions as opposed to Burrows running his mouth in french tongues which make no sense and not be able to have a respectable fight when he pisses another guy off. When I used to play hockey and I had a player on my own team run his mouth then another guy would have to come in and back him up because he couldn't protect himself - it was downright embarrassing. I would sometimes feel the same way if I was Burrows teammate.

• Upvote 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stats aren't everything, but they alone show enough how much Burrows is worth in the team. +11 rating, leading the team last year that wasn't good at all in terms of expectations.

Please enlighten us with the names of these players you speak of.

Doug Lidster --> Stanley Cup lol

Cam Neeley errrr

Jovanovski - Coyotes, career high 51 points w/ the Yotes.

Cooke - traded to Washington ends up helping them to the playoffs Ovechkin. Traded to the Pens to play with a bona fide Stanley Cup contender and Sidney Crosby.

..... anyway, try not to take a joke so freaking seriously.

Agitaters shouldnt fight. It adds more to their job if they dont drop the gloves. If they dont fight, the opponent would get more agitated, causing them to want to fight, mybe taking a stupid penalty to do so. They will try and get into a fight, which will cause them to get off their game.

• Upvote 1

he's faster than brown and pettinger, bigger than Krog. 179 pims is high for an agitator, im sure AV told him to tone it down this year with when and where. I like how he is often in the box with the other team's far more talented players getting conicidental penalties. On an off note, i forecast Matt in the pressbox alot this year.

• Upvote 1