The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Clutch. Your colossal ignorance has negated your right to reproduce. Please log out of this forum, delete your account, and wire your nutsack to a live car battery. On behalf of the entire human race, I thank you.

/lock thread

Why would we lock this thread??

This thread is a thing of epic glory.

He has long ago deleted his account.

I remember this thread in its infancy.

This thread, to me, is more epic than the Shirokov thread.

Not to disrespect its saga of which I also watched from the beginning.

If any of you have not read through the first couple pages, do so.

To the loud mouths out there: Let this be a lesson to you.

I disagree. In fact, I couldn't disagree more.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen! Can anyone actually think Burrows sucks?! And to rather have Pettinger, Krog or Brown??! Surely you are 10 years old. Or you're just completely insane. Why don't you join Joker at Arkham Asylum??

Edited by Harold Druken

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen! Can anyone actually think Burrows sucks?! And to rather have Pettinger, Krog or Brown??! Surely you are 10 years old. Or you're just completely insane. Why don't you join Joker at Arkham Asylum??

So...you accuse the poster of being 10 years old and then drop a Batman reference?

Tight.

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Seriously...You are on crack....or heroin.....or meth......or all 3. Huh? What? Hey McFly! Which way did he go george? Which way did he go?

THAT was the most ridiculous thing I have ever read......

Am I DREAMING????

Have you heard of a place called Riverview?

• 2 weeks later...

Bump (had to be done, with the season kicking off soon and all)....

First off, congrats to Burr on his summer engagement to g/f Nancy.

Secondly, here's an article from today's Province that touches on his role in the upcoming season:

It's hard to imagine life getting much better for Alex Burrows.

Last season, the ECHL product became a folk hero in Vancouver parts when he put together a breakout 28-goal campaign which earned him a four-year, $8 million US contract.

Not bad.

This summer, he also toured the great capitals of Europe where he proposed to his girlfriend Nancy on The Grand Canal in Venice.

Even better.

And now he returns to the Vancouver Canucks where he's become a core player on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations. Five years ago, Burrows was buried in the ECHL with the Columbia Inferno and the possibility of all this seemed as remote as Pluto. But here is now, the author of one of the great feel-good stories in franchise history and nothing, it seems, can derail his joyride.

Or can it?

Monday night, Burrows lined up for his second pre-season game in his accustomed spot with the Sedins which is where he earned the lion's share of his success last season.

Now, this is interesting because, for everything he accomplished over the final two months of the 2008-'09 campaign, that spot hasn't exactly been reserved for Burrows. Later this week, veteran Mikael Samuelsson will audition for the job. There is also some thought that training camp sensation Sergei Shirokov will get a look there.

This, in turn, raises all manner of implications for both the Canucks and Burrows and you can make the case it's the most intriguing decision head coach Alain Vigneault faces heading into the season. Right now, Burrows is saying all the right things when he's asked about his situation and you'd expect nothing less from the 28-year-old Montrealer.

You just wonder how he'd adjust to life in coach after flying first class for the last 30 games of last season.

``No one has said anything but I'm going to fit in where the team needs me, '' Burrows said before Monday night's 5-4 shootout win over the Calgary Flames. ``If it's with Hank or Danny, great. If it's with (Ryan Kesler or Kyle Wellwood), we'll see. As long as we win, that will make everyone happy.''

Especially the coach.

``This is about winning hockey games and putting players in positions and roles that give you the best chance,'' Vigneault said. ``If that means that Burrows has to become a checker, then he's going to become a checker. If it means playing with the twins, he'll play there.''

Burrows, like most of his teammates, was good early on against the Flames, so-so in the middle part of the game and better at the end. He earned a couple of helpers, including one on Daniel Sedin's game-tying goal with 0.2 seconds left, and drew a penalty in overtime before the Canucks won the shootout.

As for his astonishing rise last season, the story is now familiar to even the most casual Canucks' fan. On Feb. 10, with the team just four games over . 500 and in a 3-5-5 slump, Burrows was thrown together with the twins in the third period of a game in St. Louis where he scored the tying goal in a 6-4 Canucks' come-from-behind win.

And from there he went off like a Roman candle.

Over the team's last 30 games - in which the Canucks went 21-7-2 - Burrows scored 16 goals which, extrapolated over an 82-game schedule, is a 43-goal pace. At the trade deadline, he also signed his new deal before he scored the series- winning goal in the opening-round against the Blues.

So he got the contract and this summer he got the girl. But does he have his old job back?

``It's more about what will make our team look the best,'' Vigneault said. ``That might be Burrows there or it might be Burrows back with Kesler or it might be something else.''

Burrows, for his part, dug his way out of the ECHL by being a relentless checker and a giant pain in the donkey and that's not going to change.

``I remember when we made the playoffs in Manitoba (in the American Hockey League) and I tried to play a bit of a skilled game,'' Burrows says. ``(Vigneault, who was coaching the Moose) said, `You're a grinder, first. You're not a goal scorer.'

``It's the same here. The offence will come if I work like a grinder and compete like a grinder. That's still in my head.''

Maybe so but that doesn't mean he has to score like a grinder.

Edited by debluvscanucks