7895 replies to this topic

#3331 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

did some of you start watching the canucks this season or something? Burrows was signed as a 2mil CHECKER. After he got signed he was put with the sedins and then he started lighting it up.

Wrong.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#3332 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,272 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Maybe I'm too much of a big picture type of guy. But if I was paid league minimum $500,000 per year I'd be pretty happy making a living on playing a game I love.

4 years later I'd have enough to take care of my mortgage and enough to go to University if I wanted to.

Hopefully walking around with a few Stanley Cup rings! :)
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#3333 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

What a pass by Burrows to Grabner. Too bad he couldn't finish the play! :frantic:

#3334 Giant Inflatable Beaver

Giant Inflatable Beaver

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

From Botchford's Twitter: (On Province reporter Jim Jamieson talking to burrows after the kesler signing)

Quote Jim Jamieson got from Burrows on his contract: "The day I signed my contract I was the happiest guy in the city. That hasn't changed."

Posted Image

Edited by Giant Inflatable Beaver, 21 March 2010 - 01:19 AM.

Posted Image

#3335 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:21 AM

I love and respect Burrows. He's one of the nicest players you'll ever meet.

#3336 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:22 AM

Atta boy Burr, who cares how much you make, a Stanley Cup over shadows that. ;)

Edited by Bryan McCabe.24, 21 March 2010 - 01:22 AM.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#3337 cuporbust

cuporbust

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:26 AM

From Botchford's Twitter: (On Province reporter Jim Jamieson talking to burrows after the kesler signing)

Posted Image

Wow. That's really classy. Gota say I have even more respect for him now after reading that.

Edited by cuporbust, 21 March 2010 - 01:27 AM.

Posted Image

#3338 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

I'd like for this whole Kesler contract dealie to simply die off, but knowing it's CDC, people are just going to read into the quote and think that there's a rift in the locker room now.

Edited by blue.dragon258, 21 March 2010 - 01:36 AM.

#3339 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

I gotta get his auto tomorrow now.

#3340 Giant Inflatable Beaver

Giant Inflatable Beaver

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

I'd like for this whole Kesler contract dealie to simply die off, but knowing it's CDC, people are just going to read into the quote and think that there's a rift in the locker room now.

what? did you even read the quote?

If anything, it means these guys are the closest group we have had in recent memory.

Edited by Giant Inflatable Beaver, 21 March 2010 - 01:39 AM.

Posted Image

#3341 Canadian

Canadian

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:46 AM

This is also from the article by Jamieson about Burrows:

In regards to Kesler's contract:

"It's good for him and hopefully I get a couple free dinners on the road."

#3342 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:47 AM

This is also from the article by Jamieson about Burrows:

In regards to Kesler's contract:

"It's good for him and hopefully I get a couple free dinners on the road."

Classy and a sense of humour, gotta love our Burr.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#3343 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:48 AM

what? did you even read the quote?

If anything, it means these guys are the closest group we have had in recent memory.

Sigh....knowing this is CDC, anything can be warped and misinterpreted to fit one's agenda.

#3344 RobberLuongo

RobberLuongo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:54 AM

Burrows is STILL one of the most underpaid players in the league, even after his contract.
"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city"

#1 Roberto Luongo

#3345 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:56 AM

How is this CLASSY?

You guys throw that word around more often than a pitcher throws a curveball.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#3346 Zour

Zour

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:26 AM

This implies Burrows is happier than Kesler. This difference in happiness must be causing a rift in the locker room.

#3347 shogun1

shogun1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:56 AM

How is this CLASSY?

You guys throw that word around more often than a pitcher throws a curveball.

i agree completely, it's nice of him to say but how is that quote "Proof That Burrows Is a Class Act"???

the guy signed a deal that made him a millionaire, is he supposed to be upset?

#3348 Ajax19

Ajax19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

He's just really grateful the Canucks organization gave him the opportunity.
Think about it, if u were never drafted, played in the ECHL and now you just signed a long term contract for 2mil a yr. I'd be pretty happy regardless.

You kidding? I am Queens Boulevard.

#3349 enterin

enterin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

He's just really grateful the Canucks organization gave him the opportunity.
Think about it, if u were never drafted, played in the ECHL and now you just signed a long term contract for 2mil a yr. I'd be pretty happy regardless.

Bottom line is Burrows deserves more he has proved it the last 3 years that he has been playing with the canucks.
They in my opinion are both equally maybe kes a little more important to the success of this team.
So the way Burrows is handling the signing (pay amount) is top notch. I respect him for it and feel bad for him when he is doing more for this team than some other 4 million dollar players..He know s he has time and his pay will reflect his play so keep on chugging Alex.. Congrats to Kes

#3350 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 28,261 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

He's tops in my world. Love the "free dinners" part....he's just such a team player. 100% class (for those of unsure how to make the connection - a guy who's "grateful" for opportunities; a guy who supports, wholeheartedly, his peers; a guy who puts honesty above all else and isn't afraid to go against the grain, despite the negative backlash it may invite; a guy who never seems to forget where he came from or friends that are out of sight but never out of mind. "The guy signed a deal that made him a millionaire"......through sheer determination and hard work - don't forget that very important part.)

Posted Image

(Be ready, as I'm going to merge this into the Burrows thread, where it belongs)

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#3351 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,624 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

Posted Image

I'm not sure about that, I think I may have been happier he was sticking around than he was :)

He's a lifer here since we gave him a shot after being undrafted. I get the impression he thinks he owes us and would never walk out on us.

#3352 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,624 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

Lol,

Has everyone been going through the first page and giving everyone a + ?:lol: :D

#3353 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,562 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

Just found an answer to the question

From Jason Botchford's twitter

Quote Jim Jamieson got from Burrows on his contract: "The day I signed my contract I was the happiest guy in the city. That hasn't changed."

Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#3354 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

I unno, 2 million dollars buys A LOT of comfort Poutine

Posted Image

#3355 bobbyluongo1

bobbyluongo1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Sedin $6.1 mil, Sedin $6.1 mil, Burrows $2 mil, why are you bringing up Kesler for, don't you think Burrows should be more peed at the money the Sedins got as he got more goals than either of them.

I would be shocked if Burrows scores 30 goals ever again without the Sedins.

#3356 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,562 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

pure class
heart and soul
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#3357 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Burr just exudes class and character, doesn't he? I mean, the road he's traveled, and to be able to come across the way he does, just speaks to how much character he has built from that. Too bad every player can't come up that way. With as much humility. His interview being the classic case. I think if there is anything that people don't realize, it's that Burr seems very capable of drawing the distinction between the business and the game from a player's perspective.

The only "jealousy" out there, is the jealousy around the league from those teams without Burrows in their line up. Posted Image

Totally agree. He is totally hockey and his loyalty to the Canucks is infettered. A young player, never drafted who simply wanted a chance to play in the NHL. The Canucks are very fortunate that someone made the decision to take a chance on him to play in Winnipeg and subsequently in Vancouver. He simply never gives up playing and that is what has to be loved about him. He is definitely a "keeper." Posted Image
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#3358 2 Sedins 1 cup

2 Sedins 1 cup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

Dumb, dumb thread. Burrows is happy for Kesler. Enough said. Why do people have the need to CREATE something out of nothing? Jeez.

cause they are morons.
Posted Image
rk17

Quote me on this. The Flames will win their Second Stanley Cup before the Canucks win their first. :P

Sometimes people shouldn't have their opinions heard.

Led Zeppelin is overrated.

#3359 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

did some of you start watching the canucks this season or something? Burrows was signed as a 2mil CHECKER. After he got signed he was put with the sedins and then he started lighting it up.

I don't quite understand your point - "Burrows was signed as a 2mil CHECKER."

Hasn't that been what is so unique about his story or journey in hockey. Burrows flew under the radar and was not even drafted. No one thought enough about him to even take the time to see what his potential really was while he played junior. Even when elevated to the ECHL and AHL, he had to blow his own horn to get the attention of those who would make the decisions about his future.

He may have been signed as a checker, that is true but isn't that really the role most players go through when they eventually get into the NHL. They learn the defensive aspect of the game first. From there, the coach then determines what position that player is best suited at on the team. Even then, through trial and error, it may be only through line juggling, the value of a player can really be established.

I really hope that all our prospects and young players serve time in that defensive learning role so they are given the opportunity of becoming a more rounded and defensively sound player in the NHL. I believe that should happen to Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin etc.

Using Taveras as an example only, I don't intend to debate his ability: He can score goals but look at his +- rating. I contend he has not properly learned the defensive part of the game. He was shoved into a top six NHL position because he is a natural goal scorer and probably because he was picked first over all in the draft had a lot to do with it as well.

One must question if that is the common sense approach to take with a young player, to elevated them right to the NHL from junior. Without learning his defensive game properly, what now are the probabilities of him (Taveras) ever being a better + player over the course of his career unless defense is not instilled in his play at some juncture in his career? Will it always be questioned - "how many goals has he caused to be scored against his team because of his lack of defensive ability?" Look at Stamkos for example, when he was shipped back to the minors by the Bolts he was a -13. Right now Tavares is a -15. I am certainly not questioning their raw talent or potential to play in the NHL, I question whether or not they are a better player by being immediately inserted in the NHL in the same capacities as they may have played in junior ie. simply being a goals scorer and forget about whatever else is important in their development to be a good all around hockey player. What would happen if his goal production suddenly lessened and his +- rating soared; would he be sent back to the minors like Stamkos, undoubtedly a further crushing blow to a young players esteem and confidence?

In doing just that, what type of unnecessary burden do we place on a talented young player and how will it eventually affect his playing confidence when he knows he is inadequate in some aspects of his game? With respect to Burrows, being signed as a checker has only served him favorably; it has undoubtedly made him a more tenacious and talented hockey player who could with ease find a job on any hockey team in the NHL. But on top of that you must add the heart of a lion as well. Posted Image

Edited by SimplyHockey, 21 March 2010 - 12:56 PM.

"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#3360 Kesler :D

Kesler :D

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Erm, yes, we do want him. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.