The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

If the third line, hopefully consisting of Kesler, Burrows and Hansen can agitate, hit, forecheck hard, create chances, put up some decent numbers, plus all three guys have great wheels, then why do we even need burrows to fight?

Hordichuk can scrap, Brown can scrap, Davidson isnt afraid to drop em. Overall team toughness has gone up considerably over last season. To say the guy is a joke because he cant fight is ridiculous

then someone should tell him that . cuz everytime he does fight he loses .. badly

Letting him go just via waivers or FA would be kinda stupid, but if someone wanted a trade for him, like a 2nd rounder or a more offensive prospect i'd take it. Yes he has a lot of heart and good on the PK..but we have quite a few up and comming players who can do that as well, it's not like he brings something unique to the table.

I mean really, does he have the potential to get a lot better? Doubtful, probably more beneficial to the team to trade him sooner while his stock is still high.

Burrows is the kind of guy every teams wants

Which is why it's a good time to cash in on his worth now rather than wait. I think this kid is really great at what he focuses in (defensive forward, agitator etc..) but the Canucks have quite a few people who can fill that role.

• Haha 1

at least he goes for it. Id rather see my guy stick up for a teammate and lose the fight then pull a typical swede move and kinda ignore it/hold a guys sweater.

ie. Last season sticking up for Mitchell after Rolston ran him into the boards. Too many times last season our guys were pushed around and noone on our team responded to cheap shots against teammates. Dont expect that this season, well unless Ohlund and/or Krajicek are on the ice.

he jumped rolston and still got slammed to the ice . I do agree that we got pushed around to much last year but I dont think that will be a problem this year . so he has no value anymore . I dont think you should bring Ohlund into this ...just ask mikko kiovu what it is like to play against him and If i remember correctly ohlund has fought Iginla and did way better than burrows could ever do.

who? and how much do they get paid? how many pionts did they get last season?

Obviously it depends on the offer, if you could get a 2nd rounder, or a prospect, that'd be a good trade for his value. Thinking bigger picture for a second, if Burrows were traded (I already set let go would be stupid) for a prospect let's say, you could have a more offensive forward put into his place along side Kesler & Wellwood or Hansen (whoever's there), pettinger wouldn't be out of place there, he can skate, he's good on the PK, and he can shoot as well. You got Rypien coming up, and further down the road, you got Grabner, Hodgson, etc.. etc...

So the question is not whether or not Burrows is a good player or valuable to the team or not cause he is. The question is, if the appropriate offer came up to trade him, it shouldn't be slapped away just because he's one of the fan favorites, that's just bad business.

He is amazing at penalty killing. Not just good, amazing. He scores several short handed goals every year. He is also one of the best agitators in the league if not the best. You're right in saying that he isn't a good fighter but he isn't supposed to fight, he's supposed to draw the other teams into penalties. Usually when he does get into a fight its against one of the other teams star players (Lecavalier, Iginla, Carcillo etc) which is a great trade off. There is a reason that everyone loves him except for you and the OP and that includes hockey analysts and fans alike.

take it easy . amazing is a little overboard .

Burrows is the best bargain in the NHL. 31 points for the league minimum is a steal of a deal right there. Then you factor in the fact that he's one of the best agitators in the league, a great penalty killer, and a solid character guy and you have a golden player. He led the Canucks in PIM, short-handed goals, and plus/minus. He also scored 3 gamewinners, tied for second on the Canucks last season in that category and was second on the team in hits.

Essentially, you're an idiot. Burrows is not a player that is easily replaced.

well hopefully we cut your golden player . send him back to the east coast league . that is where he belongs. we have a bunch of great penalty killers .

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Spot on.

Alex Burrows played all 82 games last season. He lead the team in terms of: SHG (3), PIM (179), and +/- rating (+11).

Are you f*cking serious?

• Upvote 1