#153 clutch

clutch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

isnt he close to league minimum?

wait nevermind, our team has 10m free cap space, so that arguement doesnt cut it...

i don't know.. burr has lots of NHL experience now.. i'll list the good and the bad

good
always tries
tries to hit every shift
uses his speed
some nice passes in pre-season so far
good in a shut-down role

bad
falls all over the ice, terrible balance
it seems besides breakaways he has hands of stone
another small forward in a tough division (but i think he's proven himself against tough opponents already)
won't win any fights (and might pull a cooke-turtle too)

so... i don't know. burrows doesnt win you a cup, anyone who thinks that is retarded... but truth be told.. i think if kesler-hansen is a scoring line now, and our 4th is shut-down... maybe burrows SHOULD be on the 4th line (or scratched for a fighter) and have one of our young guys with HANDS stuck with kesler-hansen... burrows is definitly the least-skilled guy on that line now.. imagine what they could do with a true power forward making space for them?

finally someone with some hockey sense

#154 neksys

neksys

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

While I agree with you that Burrows is an awesome third liner and great value at his current price, I have to disagree with you and everyone else that somehow PIM are a positive statistic. Any idiot can take a penalty. It's crazy the fantasy leagues and people who think someone is "playing hard" because they commit a penalty. Only in hockey is this true. In football you have hell to pay if you take penalties. Is it awesome to foul out in basketball? If committing a penalty is so awesome why does everyone like to be on the power play? I know this sounds elementary, but everyone needs to wake up. If I walked up to someone and punched them can I explain to the judge that I was "playing life harder." Use your own mind, people.

I agree in general. Its a junk stat.

However, PIM becomes relevant stat when there are like, 200+ of them. Even the hook-iest, board-iest, interference-iest players in the league would be hard pressed to get 100 penalties, 2 minutes at a time. But when you've got a whole whack of 5 for fightings thrown in there, it adds up. If you see a player with 200 PIM and 30 points, you know at a glance he drops the mitts and puts a few away as well.

*shrug*

Edited by neksys, 04 October 2008 - 01:22 PM.

#155 neksys

neksys

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:36 PM

isnt he close to league minimum?

wait nevermind, our team has 10m free cap space, so that arguement doesnt cut it...

i don't know.. burr has lots of NHL experience now.. i'll list the good and the bad

good
always tries
tries to hit every shift
uses his speed
some nice passes in pre-season so far
good in a shut-down role

bad
falls all over the ice, terrible balance
it seems besides breakaways he has hands of stone
another small forward in a tough division (but i think he's proven himself against tough opponents already)
won't win any fights (and might pull a cooke-turtle too)

so... i don't know. burrows doesnt win you a cup, anyone who thinks that is retarded... but truth be told.. i think if kesler-hansen is a scoring line now, and our 4th is shut-down... maybe burrows SHOULD be on the 4th line (or scratched for a fighter) and have one of our young guys with HANDS stuck with kesler-hansen... burrows is definitly the least-skilled guy on that line now.. imagine what they could do with a true power forward making space for them?

I more or less agree with your assessment. For once the rose coloured glasses are off :)

But two points:

1) Guys like Burrows DO win you Cups. They're all part of the whole. You need the skill in front of you, but without a solid checking line, you're done. Think Craig MacTavish - similar +/- numbers, a few more points, a damn fine checker and 4 rings to his name. The problem is, Burrows in particular won't win you a cup - just guys like Burrows.

2) haha WTF is up with his hands? The guy suddenly turns into Alex Ovechkin on a shorthanded breakaway, but can't stuff away an easy pass into a gaping net the rest of the year?

#156 Duke23

Duke23

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

I know there are a ton of moves that can be made to improve the Canucks, but telling Burrows his services are no longer needed is not a wise choice. But you did get one thing right...it is getting pretty hot in here.

#157 Mr.ArcticLove♥

Mr.ArcticLove♥

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

I would never think someone would say that Burrows doesn't belong in the NHL. YOU ARE A MORON.
Les Grossman is the man.

#158 DynamicDuo

DynamicDuo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

Clutch your crazy he led the team in +/- and he played all 82 games, hes an agitator, he can score, he can skate, he can hit , he can pass, hell hes an all around forward.

Do we need him? your crazy
Posted ImagePosted Image
Thanks to Qwerty23 for the Userbar
Thanks to Clear for the sig

#159 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

Kris Draper should return all of his rings now, he did nothing to help him team win them....

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#160 sockeye

sockeye

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

Burr is da men! what a useless thread!

Agree. Burr is burr in the backside of our opponents. He's good value and a good checking forward.
A Canucks fan since 1968 (before the NHL)

#161 sockeye

sockeye

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:53 PM

Of course he'll want a raise. It'll be damn well-deserved as well. I'm just saying it would be very foolish to trade him right now when he's such a bargain. As long as Gillis makes his raise reasonable (ie. not the kind of raise Cooke got, which was ridiculous, I agree), he'll be a quality player on the Canucks for years to come.

Agree

#162 AmazingNuck

AmazingNuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

The idea of an agitator is that he doesn't have to fight to draw a penalty. What good does him fighting do? What the hell is the point of a playmaker if he isn't a sniper?

If it's true that everyone can PK as well as anyone else, why doesn't everybody have 100% PK efficiency?

Edited by HalfMoon, 04 October 2008 - 04:00 PM.

Posted Image

#163 LuongovsTuuka

LuongovsTuuka

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

Okay, a year ago, when Burrows was coming off his 3 goal season, a lot of people wanted him out of our top 12 forwards. He then proved he belongs in the NHL. He has tremendous chemistry with Kesler and if he puts up a few more points this season, how much would he get on the free agent market? Jarko Ruutu commands good coin and he has less skill than Burrows and takes more foolish penalties. I may not like everyone on this team, but Burrows is the LAST player they should move. It's Sean Avery without the drama. Avery didn't develop into an offensive threat right away either. I could see Burrows getting Avery money with a 40 point season this year. Hell, if Ryder's worth 4 million coming off a bad season....

Hardest working Canuck in a VERY LONG TIME. You can't teach talent, but you can't teach heart either. You either have it or you don't and he has it in spades.
Posted Image

#164 sockeye

sockeye

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Congratulations. You read five words of my post. You apparently missed the last half: He led the Canucks in PIM, short-handed goals, and plus/minus. He also scored 3 gamewinners, tied for second on the Canucks last season in that category and was second on the team in hits.

All that for league minimum, in the salary cap era, makes him a very difficult player to replace.

We need Burrows. Who can replace his tenacity on the 3rd or 4th line? He is great on the penalty kill and he is a very good defensive player. He is one of our best forecheckers. He'll have to reduce his penalties during the regular season. He is a better offensive player than Brown or Rypien. Hodgson is not ready for a full time role in the NHL. Krog is a decent offensive forward but he doesn' have the defensive ability of Burrows. Blood Brothers is out to lunch!

#165 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

defensively responsable doesn't take bad penalties usually works hard every night and has earned his spot every year. 29 other teams would love to have this guy in there line up. for a third liner you couldn't ask for any thing more.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#166 Vain

Vain

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

Wow it's a good thing you aren't GM...

CANADA is GOLDEN

2010 Vancouver Olympics Mens Hockey Champions!

Gold: Roberto Luongo
Silver: Ryan Kesler
Bronze: Sami Salo

#167 ENuck

ENuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:46 PM

Why do people want to get rid of character players ? Burrows has worked his tail off to get to where he is. Everyday he shows up to play 100%, guys like that you don't get rid of.

Cook was a character player and most of the weeners on here and the dumb wad media ripped him to shreds.

It's funny how there's a history of players' performances seeming to vastly improve and be invigorated after leaving Vancouver.

..wait..that's not funny at all :huh:

#168 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

Cook was a character player and most of the weeners on here and the dumb wad media ripped him to shreds.

It's funny how there's a history of players' performances seeming to vastly improve and be invigorated after leaving Vancouver.

..wait..that's not funny at all :huh:

Please enlighten us with the names of these players you speak of.

#169 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

My only hope is that he doesn't lose his tenacity after receiving a big payday after this season. I don't want another Matt Cooke on our hands.

#170 ballsdeepfreeze

ballsdeepfreeze

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Burrows has worked his arse off to become an NHL regular. If that hard work and determination doesn't fit under the MG Character column then I don't know what does. So my hat goes off to Burrows. He is a great checking line winger who plays that kind of Ruutu/Cooke role which we have open this year.

On the other hand, I think with all of the grit/toughness that Hordi, Rypien, and even Brown can bring up front, I would much rather them play and be able to back up their actions as opposed to Burrows running his mouth in french tongues which make no sense and not be able to have a respectable fight when he pisses another guy off. When I used to play hockey and I had a player on my own team run his mouth then another guy would have to come in and back him up because he couldn't protect himself - it was downright embarrassing. I would sometimes feel the same way if I was Burrows teammate.
Posted Image

#171 KoreanCanuck00

KoreanCanuck00

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stats aren't everything, but they alone show enough how much Burrows is worth in the team. +11 rating, leading the team last year that wasn't good at all in terms of expectations.

(Jesse Canuck @ May 10 2009, 12:57 AM) IM SO frackIN SICK OF THIS crap.
This is the last Canucks game I watch. Goodbye. nice run, frack you.

^Please stay away from watching Canucks forever. Goodbye.

Anyone who signs Mitchell for anything more 2 Mil would be a total moron. He has had a MAJOR concussion and is very likely still not 100%. Not to mention that he has a history of concussions. He shouldn't be playing hockey let alone signing a big contract.

^Shows how much you know :)

#172 dawm

dawm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Burrows is a key player for this team. How many 3rd liners can pot as much goals as Burrows? How many players can put as much effort into a game as Burrows?

Posted Image

#173 ENuck

ENuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

Please enlighten us with the names of these players you speak of.

Doug Lidster --> Stanley Cup lol
Cam Neeley errrr
Jovanovski - Coyotes, career high 51 points w/ the Yotes.
Cooke - traded to Washington ends up helping them to the playoffs Ovechkin. Traded to the Pens to play with a bona fide Stanley Cup contender and Sidney Crosby.

..... anyway, try not to take a joke so freaking seriously.

#174 17-Devils-30

17-Devils-30

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

Agitaters shouldnt fight. It adds more to their job if they dont drop the gloves. If they dont fight, the opponent would get more agitated, causing them to want to fight, mybe taking a stupid penalty to do so. They will try and get into a fight, which will cause them to get off their game.

#175 superchalz

superchalz

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

he's faster than brown and pettinger, bigger than Krog. 179 pims is high for an agitator, im sure AV told him to tone it down this year with when and where. I like how he is often in the box with the other team's far more talented players getting conicidental penalties. On an off note, i forecast Matt in the pressbox alot this year.

#176 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

Burrows has become my fave player, not just for Canucks, but in the entire NHL because he seems to give his all in almost every shift. He plays with passion and he is becoming more calculated in his "old age" (hahaha).
Posted Image

#177 cocanuck

cocanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

I think the general consensus is fairly obvious. No need for personal attacks though. I like Burrows as well for the role he plays and especially for the money being paid to him.

#178 JohnnyCanuck is #1

JohnnyCanuck is #1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

burr is awesome why would you not want him :o
Posted Image
Thanks JJC for the sweet Ovie sig
GO CANUCKS GO

#179 Ourgodluongo

Ourgodluongo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:20 PM

I disagree. In fact, I couldn't disagree more.

haha same here bud
Vancouver Canucks 2010-2011 Stanley Cup Champions!

#180 Sarcastic

Sarcastic

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

Keep Burrows until he destroys himself from playing so hard.

I doubt that happens until another few years.
CDC Hockey Pool

Chicago Blackhawks

Patrick Kane-Ales Kotalik-Jason Williams
Robert Nilsson-Steve Reinprecht-
Mikael Samuelsson

Ed Jovonovski-Denis Seidenburg
Dan Hamhuis-Paul Martin

Evgeni Nabokov
Christobal Huet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.