Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It was the thread itself as opposed to holding Burrows in higher regard than the Sedins.  If there is an iconic thread here, that's the one.  And it got pinned when Burrows accepted a trade out, which well preceded the Sedins' retirement (for which the forum was temporarily renamed "Sedin Talk").

Yeah I know I saw the title change, which was nice and good, but still thought their thread deserved the same treatment and still deserves to be pinned today, because of how great they were for this organization, just what I think no hate!

Ohhh noes!

The thread is unpinned.  Sad day.

Thanks Burrows for all you did, especially slaying the dragon.  That will live in my heart forever!

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I just died a little inside.

Maybe instead of dying inside, it is a temporary empty nest syndrome feeling?

Only the  pinning has gone (like the kids) but he will always be a part of you

It's a thread that you can revisit (just like the kids) :)

You'll be ok and it will still pop up

• Like 1

dayum I never posted anything in here before but still remember watching its first few pages way back in the day before I even knew how to operate this site.

Thanks, burr for all you received you were the very best at what you did.

Gonna be a sad day today :(.

• Upvote 1

Burrows, do we really need to ... let go?  Sigh.  Maybe, maybe not, but the views expressed in this thread is the heart and soul of the collective CDC.  Burrows is already an icon, involved in one of our biggest and absolutely cathartic goals.  Is that the right word?  Biggest works too.  Only guy other than Carter that clicked with the Sedins, and did his job well, and for a lot of it was on a team friendly contract (the last one made up for it).  Thanks Burrows, and thanks for Dahlen too.  Hopefully he will keep your legacy going, the same way Bertuzzi, Luongo, Sedin, and Markstom did for Linden.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Qwags said:

Put him in the Ring of Honour.

Put this thread in the CDC ring of honour

• Upvote 1

Van City should announce a parade to properly wind down this thread. Also starting a new team era.

Last word in this here 500+ page turner(NYTimes book review dubbed, "a riveting, rollicking ride!") should go to Deb...

• Like 1

On 2018-10-19 at 3:02 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I never understood pinning this tbh, I understand the love the fans had for him because yes he was a great player for this organization, but he was no Sedin, Naslund, Bure, Linden, type of star player. Why no Sedin thread was ever pinned instead I'll never understand, especially since they retired here and are possibly the best Canucks ever, but they don't deserve a pinned thread only Burrows does... It's like CDC felt Burrows was more important to this organization then the Sedins ever were, by showing that will pin the Burrows thread but not a Sedins one, never understood that logic here.

I think this thread was so unique. It took on a life of its own. It was unpinned for years, yet consistently was bumped up.  Why? Because that dastardly Alex kept scoring big goals, or getting in trouble with Buttman.  So I gather the pinning, at the time, was simply to make it more convenient as it inevitably was going to be bumped anyways.  Personally, I think this thread would have been fine unpinned as it had been. Part of the lore of the thread was how long it survived unpinned, being bumped almost every game.  That says a lot about the player.

I think if there were such an unprecedentedly grass roots built popular thread about the Sedins, started back when there was still a debate about their abilities, when they were called 'sisters', and then, as Alex did, they proved the doubters wrong, it may have also rose to mythical proportions, and it may have eventually been pinned as well.  It just so happened that it was Alex.  I love how it grew so spontaneously, naturally, shadowing Alex's career.  And how a lot of us, most of us, could see the potential in this jacked up, hockey loving, consummate never-quit team player, even back then. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Burrows, do we really need to ... let go?  Sigh.  Maybe, maybe not, but the views expressed in this thread is the heart and soul of the collective CDC.  Burrows is already an icon, involved in one of our biggest and absolutely cathartic goals.  Is that the right word?  Biggest works too.  Only guy other than Carter that clicked with the Sedins, and did his job well, and for a lot of it was on a team friendly contract (the last one made up for it).  Thanks Burrows, and thanks for Dahlen too.  Hopefully he will keep your legacy going, the same way Bertuzzi, Luongo, Sedin, and Markstom did for Linden.

It's the right word.  It was the definition of catharsis when it comes to goals, after the previous two years of losing to the Hawks.

12 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think this thread was so unique. It took on a life of its own. It was unpinned for years, yet consistently was bumped up.  Why? Because that dastardly Alex kept scoring big goals, or getting in trouble with Buttman.  So I gather the pinning, at the time, was simply to make it more convenient as it inevitably was going to be bumped anyways.  Personally, I think this thread would have been fine unpinned as it had been. Part of the lore of the thread was how long it survived unpinned, being bumped almost every game.  That says a lot about the player.

I think if there were such an unprecedentedly grass roots built popular thread about the Sedins, started back when there was still a debate about their abilities, when they were called 'sisters', and then, as Alex did, they proved the doubters wrong, it may have also rose to mythical proportions, and it may have eventually been pinned as well.  It just so happened that it was Alex.  I love how it grew so spontaneously, naturally, shadowing Alex's career.  And how a lot of us, most of us, could see the potential in this jacked up, hockey loving, consummate never-quit team player, even back then. 

Yeah the thing with Burrows was his work ethic, he just never gave up and you cannot like a guy for that ever, then how he adapted into adding scoring to his resume or being better offensively when he wasn't that type of player to begin with, and to be a 1st line player. Yes the Sedins helped him become that, but he also worked hard and worked on adding that aspect to his game, and that imo made him a huge fan favorite. I definitely respect him and enjoyed him as a Canuck 100%, but I don't categorize him in the same category as those other ex Canucks I listed.

• Hydration 1

Watched Utica beat Laval last night, Dahlen first star, but was star-Struck myself with Burrows looking good behind the Rockets bench....still looks like he’s just finished college.. going this afternoon too, Dahlen first star last night, OJ looked good...

F1576E41-B716-4DB7-AB74-68D25BBC51D5.jpeg

0B3EDCF7-D804-46D4-90D9-44B67BBF8A44.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I see a few on CDC with "Clutch" potential.   I am pulling for them - just waiting for a "Virtanen, do we really need him?" thread from one in particular.    

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I see a few on CDC with "Clutch" potential.   I am pulling for them - just waiting for a "Virtanen, do we really need him?" thread from one in particular.    

There’s a certain poster that may go with “Green, do we really need him?” first.

Gotta love Burr - the original Honeybadger if there ever was one, with a tribute nod to Jarkko Ruutu.

15 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

There’s a certain poster that may go with “Green, do we really need him?” first.

Gotta love Burr - the original Honeybadger if there ever was one, with a tribute nod to Jarkko Ruutu.

Too bad there was no forum when Martin Gelinas was the original Burrows.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, IBatch said:

Watched Utica beat Laval last night, Dahlen first star, but was star-Struck myself with Burrows looking good behind the Rockets bench....still looks like he’s just finished college.. going this afternoon too, Dahlen first star last night, OJ looked good...

F1576E41-B716-4DB7-AB74-68D25BBC51D5.jpeg

0B3EDCF7-D804-46D4-90D9-44B67BBF8A44.jpeg

Would love to see him to assist the Comets over the Rockets..

One day, this thread will be so old that it will be legendary. I mean, there should be a plaque regarding this thread outside Rogers Arena.