The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

On 2018-10-19 at 3:02 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I never understood pinning this tbh, I understand the love the fans had for him because yes he was a great player for this organization, but he was no Sedin, Naslund, Bure, Linden, type of star player. Why no Sedin thread was ever pinned instead I'll never understand, especially since they retired here and are possibly the best Canucks ever, but they don't deserve a pinned thread only Burrows does... It's like CDC felt Burrows was more important to this organization then the Sedins ever were, by showing that will pin the Burrows thread but not a Sedins one, never understood that logic here.

I think this thread was so unique. It took on a life of its own. It was unpinned for years, yet consistently was bumped up.  Why? Because that dastardly Alex kept scoring big goals, or getting in trouble with Buttman.  So I gather the pinning, at the time, was simply to make it more convenient as it inevitably was going to be bumped anyways.  Personally, I think this thread would have been fine unpinned as it had been. Part of the lore of the thread was how long it survived unpinned, being bumped almost every game.  That says a lot about the player.

I think if there were such an unprecedentedly grass roots built popular thread about the Sedins, started back when there was still a debate about their abilities, when they were called 'sisters', and then, as Alex did, they proved the doubters wrong, it may have also rose to mythical proportions, and it may have eventually been pinned as well.  It just so happened that it was Alex.  I love how it grew so spontaneously, naturally, shadowing Alex's career.  And how a lot of us, most of us, could see the potential in this jacked up, hockey loving, consummate never-quit team player, even back then. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Burrows, do we really need to ... let go?  Sigh.  Maybe, maybe not, but the views expressed in this thread is the heart and soul of the collective CDC.  Burrows is already an icon, involved in one of our biggest and absolutely cathartic goals.  Is that the right word?  Biggest works too.  Only guy other than Carter that clicked with the Sedins, and did his job well, and for a lot of it was on a team friendly contract (the last one made up for it).  Thanks Burrows, and thanks for Dahlen too.  Hopefully he will keep your legacy going, the same way Bertuzzi, Luongo, Sedin, and Markstom did for Linden.

It's the right word.  It was the definition of catharsis when it comes to goals, after the previous two years of losing to the Hawks.

12 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think this thread was so unique. It took on a life of its own. It was unpinned for years, yet consistently was bumped up.  Why? Because that dastardly Alex kept scoring big goals, or getting in trouble with Buttman.  So I gather the pinning, at the time, was simply to make it more convenient as it inevitably was going to be bumped anyways.  Personally, I think this thread would have been fine unpinned as it had been. Part of the lore of the thread was how long it survived unpinned, being bumped almost every game.  That says a lot about the player.

I think if there were such an unprecedentedly grass roots built popular thread about the Sedins, started back when there was still a debate about their abilities, when they were called 'sisters', and then, as Alex did, they proved the doubters wrong, it may have also rose to mythical proportions, and it may have eventually been pinned as well.  It just so happened that it was Alex.  I love how it grew so spontaneously, naturally, shadowing Alex's career.  And how a lot of us, most of us, could see the potential in this jacked up, hockey loving, consummate never-quit team player, even back then. 

Yeah the thing with Burrows was his work ethic, he just never gave up and you cannot like a guy for that ever, then how he adapted into adding scoring to his resume or being better offensively when he wasn't that type of player to begin with, and to be a 1st line player. Yes the Sedins helped him become that, but he also worked hard and worked on adding that aspect to his game, and that imo made him a huge fan favorite. I definitely respect him and enjoyed him as a Canuck 100%, but I don't categorize him in the same category as those other ex Canucks I listed.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Utica beat Laval last night, Dahlen first star, but was star-Struck myself with Burrows looking good behind the Rockets bench....still looks like he’s just finished college.. going this afternoon too, Dahlen first star last night, OJ looked good...

F1576E41-B716-4DB7-AB74-68D25BBC51D5.jpeg

0B3EDCF7-D804-46D4-90D9-44B67BBF8A44.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I see a few on CDC with "Clutch" potential.   I am pulling for them - just waiting for a "Virtanen, do we really need him?" thread from one in particular.    

There’s a certain poster that may go with “Green, do we really need him?” first.

Gotta love Burr - the original Honeybadger if there ever was one, with a tribute nod to Jarkko Ruutu.

15 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

There’s a certain poster that may go with “Green, do we really need him?” first.

Gotta love Burr - the original Honeybadger if there ever was one, with a tribute nod to Jarkko Ruutu.

Too bad there was no forum when Martin Gelinas was the original Burrows.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, IBatch said:

Watched Utica beat Laval last night, Dahlen first star, but was star-Struck myself with Burrows looking good behind the Rockets bench....still looks like he’s just finished college.. going this afternoon too, Dahlen first star last night, OJ looked good...

F1576E41-B716-4DB7-AB74-68D25BBC51D5.jpeg

0B3EDCF7-D804-46D4-90D9-44B67BBF8A44.jpeg

Would love to see him to assist the Comets over the Rockets..

4 hours ago, 6YPE said:

Finally unpinned, thank you... 

I'm pretty sure it has been unpinned for quite some time now no?  Thanks for bumping it though! Contributions from good folks such as yourself will keep this beautiful thread alive and well!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I sure miss *this* move! I'd love to see some of our younger guys try it. Watch a bit of video, execute, and learn how to sell it. 

The best part is, sometimes he faked the fake and just went forehand. Nothing fancy, just 2 well practiced moves.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...