The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Last night, at a season ticket member-only event held at Rogers Arena, Burrows was on stage with the Sedins. He was introduced by the play-by-play voice of the Canucks, John Shorthouse, and was met with a standing ovation. Burrows is in Vancouver for the draft, as a coach for the Montreal Canadiens’ affiliate, the Laval Rocket, but something tells me there’s something more brewing here. Burrows was instrumental in the Canucks’ Stanley Cup run in 2011, scoring key overtime goals against the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins, tallying nine goals total in those playoffs.

Canuck fans can never thank Alex Burrows enough for his thrilling games and what he did off the ice in the community. The ROH is a deserved start. That ceremony will be a tear jerker for sure. Very rare player who never quit and made his team mates better. 

• Cheers 1

Where's clutch now?  Is he still here under another handle?

Even he(?) must be astonished that when he started this thread, Burrows was still a third line shut down grinder trying to simply keep that job. 

And even though the vast majority of CDCers disagreed with clutch about his value and what they saw on the ice, how hard he worked even back them, willing to do whatever the coach asked of him etc...who would have guessed that he'd go from where he was at the beginning of the thread to the end(?) with now Alex headed to the Ring of Honour!

Quite the turn of the thread.

• Cheers 1

I remember watching a practice in Dallas years ago. Burr was the first on the ice and the last off.  For most of the practice he worked doing one-on-one skills with the goalie. I was highly impressed at his work ethic.

Edited by jmfaminoff
  • Upvote 1

This thread should go up too.

Well done, Burr.  You have given us some of our greatest thrills, brought pride to this city and taught us that you can defy the odds if you just follow your dreams and work hard.

A team player, through and through....that's one of the most important keys to success.   Because there is no I in team.

Cheers, Burr.  Will be there, hand on my heart, kleenex box in hand.  We love ya here in Van - "home".  And I, your biggest fan, just think the world of you both on and off the ice.  A true gentleman, through and through.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Thoughts on the idea of Burrows coaching in Vancouver? 

I have no opposition to the idea really, but it is kind of sad to see Canuck greats as assistant coaches and then dismissed unceremoniously.

Doug Lidster wouldn't be out of place in the Ring of Honour, and all people did was bitch about him working the D gate and then he was sent packing and nobody really noticed.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Thoughts on the idea of Burrows coaching in Vancouver? 

My thoughts - the refs would be throwing the book at us every night.

I’m a big Burrows fan, but seriously, the re-pinning of this thread that was already pinned years past its expiration simply because of an announcement that Burrows and the Sedins will be in the ring of honour this year? 

We have a very exciting group of new players to focus on and in my opinion if this thread is destined to stay at the top of this forum it should have to do so via member replies rather than pinning.

36 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

I couldnt imagine feeling any type of way about a thread on an internet forum being pinned or unpinned.

People need to find better things to have opinions on. 

I couldn’t imagine feeling any type of way about a person who expresses their opinion about people who comment about a thread being over-pinned.

Edited by Slegr