The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

*To    

Gelinas was also a favourite of mine.  But you can't deny the impact Burr had here .... some of his "clutch" goals were game/series changers.  Speaking of Clutch.... hmmm. 

The only thing that's delusional .... n/m.

• Cheers 1

I don't know why this Gelinas thing is even a debate. Burrows was obviously a much more integral part of our team than Gelinas ever was. Gelinas only spent 3 full seasons here (+2 half seasons) and didn't do a ton during the 94 cup run, scoring 9 points in 24 games. Compare that to Burrows, who spent a decade here, scoring more points as a Canuck than Gelinas ever did, and netting 17 points in 25 games during our cup run in 2011, including the goal that put Chicago away and the OT goal against Boston. Gelinas may be a better player overall, but Burrows was damn sure a better Canuck.

The numbers are right there for all to see...

pic 1- Burrows

pic 2- Gelinas

burrows.png

gelinas.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Burrows biggest achievement was being a Canuck for so long. That’s an achievement in of its self.

sry I just don’t see Burrows as others here do. It’s fine.

Im not in on the Burrows love festival.

IMO he was just an ok player, nothing more then that.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Burrows biggest achievement was being a Canuck for so long. That’s an achievement in of its self.

Ok, but you're wrong.

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Door's that way >>>>

Burrows was a 70 point player in the Quebec League. But despite this he was undrafted in the NHL.

Through hard work, and perseverance, he went from ECHL, to AHL, to the NHL. When does this happen? 

For an ok player, he wound up playing 913 games, 409 points. Topping out in 2010 with 35 goals, 32 assists, and 67 points and 121 PIMs. 

To put into perspective: Ryan Kesler a 1st round pick his career high in points is 75 points, and 41 goals in two separate seasons. 

I think he's far better than ok. 

• Like 1

Would you put Mogilny’s jersey in the rafters over Linden’s? I mean, by every measurable standard he was a better player. Does that mean he should mean more to the team and it’s history than Linden, who never even came close to the 107 points that Mogilny put up in his first season here?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Would you put Mogilny’s jersey in the rafters over Linden’s? I mean, by every measurable standard he was a better player. Does that mean he should mean more to the team and it’s history than Linden, who never even came close to the 107 points that Mogilny put up in his first season here?

That’s totally different.

It’s  Burrows we are talking about. As stated over and over I just feel he’s overrated and was just a OK player.

And the door is right here and I’m in Canucks forum thank you. Unfortunately I don’t agree with most here on Burrows impact as a Canuck. But it’s my opinion which I’m entitled too.

That’s totally different.

It’s  Burrows we are talking about. As stated over and over I just feel he’s overrated and was just a OK player.

And the door is right here and I’m in Canucks forum thank you. Unfortunately I don’t agree with most here on Burrows impact as a Canuck. But it’s my opinion which I’m entitled too.

And we’re entitled to debate that opinion, since you’ve taken the time to speak your mind to the rest of us in this thread.

I’m not going to sit here and pretend that Burrows was some kind of superstar....he wasn’t. But a lot of guys in the ROH aren’t. Hell, 3 of the 5 guys hanging in the rafters weren’t either. The point is that they meant a ton to this franchise, and helped carry us through some of the most significant times in the history of this club. Burrows was the heart and soul of this team for a long time. He helped the Canucks forge the identity that carried them to multiple division titles, multiple President’s trophies, and game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. He was part of the most successful core of players this franchise has ever had, along with the Sedins, Kesler and Luongo. He made us a pain in the ass to play against. He was the only guy tat was able to stick with the twins long term, and was a part of the reason that they were able to reach the heights that they did. Hell, he scored one of the biggest goals in franchise history when he slayed the dragon. 

I don’t see how any Canuck fan can look at the impact he had here and say that he doesn’t belong in the ROH.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I’m not going to sit here and pretend that Burrows was some kind of superstar....he wasnt. 

And that was my point. That was it. But some here act like he was a superstar. Example implying he was an “ Elite 3rd liner”

kevin Bieksa imo had a bigger impact and influence on building the team identity. Bieksa was the alpha dog.

all in all I stand by my statement Burrows is overrated on this site. I liked him as a Canuck but I feel I’m more realistic then most.

And that was my point. That was it. But some here act like he was a superstar. Example implying he was an “ Elite 3rd liner”

kevin Bieksa imo had a bigger impact and influence on building the team identity. Bieksa was the alpha dog.

all in all I stand by my statement Burrows is overrated on this site. I liked him as a Canuck but I feel I’m more realistic then most.

I'm glad you put away your bias with the "I feel I'm more realistic thAn most".

Team identity isn't just one dimensional.  Bieksa WAS the alpha dog.  Kes and Burr the disturbers who pulled others off their game with their antics - it was quite effective until the league had to ruin the fun and put Burr under a microscope.

But his game changed and he matured and even Ron McLean, his nemesis, gave props to him.  That, in itself, speaks volumes.

He isn't overrated in that we thought he was the best player ever to skate the face of the earth.  But he WAS clutch in situations where we should have been down and out and he kept pressing to drag us back in.  

He WAS a huge team player.....loyal to a fault.  The guy high fiving everyone, pulling pucks out of the net every practice.  Showing up at every community event.  Never ignoring a single fan in the process. 

And he took stuff from the league that could have had him shrivel up and fade out...but he did evolve and learned to fly under the radar. 

He had huge chemistry with the Sedins and that wasn't just a fluke...he went to the dirty areas, stood in front of the net taking hacks and whacks and never gave up.  Ever. 

And some of his goals were, well, huge.  His hand eye (eye hand? always get it mixed up) was unbelievable.  But his drive, determination and, mostly, love of the game, propelled him to a level that most likely didn't expect of him.

He's not here anymore...not sure why you feel the need to prove what he "wasn't".    You're not changing what's being done for him in this city  - deservedly so.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Is that you Patrick Sullivan ?

• Haha 3

I get Management wants too have somebody in the 2010/2011 era in the Ring of Honor. 

I think that Ring of Honor spot would better served having AV and the the Canuck Players from the Manitoba Moose as a group.

i don’t see why Burrows is being singled out and the rest of them are being forgotten.

Maybe it’s just his journey to make the NHL. It’s a good story. I still think he’s really really overrated by posters here. I think Canucks still would of had the same success Burrowless. 

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I get Management wants too have somebody in the 2010/2011 era in the Ring of Honor. 

I think that Ring of Honor spot would better served having AV and the the Canuck Players from the Manitoba Moose as a group.

i don’t see why Burrows is being singled out and the rest of them are being forgotten.

Maybe it’s just his journey to make the NHL. It’s a good story. I still think he’s really really overrated by posters here. I think Canucks still would of had the same success Burrowless. 

A Burrows-less Canuck team probably doesn’t make it out of that first round series against Chicago, and thus doesn’t go on to have a Stanley Cup run at all.

If Ohlund, Gradin and Snepsts all get in individually, then why should’t Burrows, Kessler, Bieksa and AV get in individually?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Well that's just your speculation and since there's no way to prove it, how about we go on facts and that they DID have success with him?  Seems more logical than assuming something that didn't/won't happen.

Did you go to many games?  Watch any?  

Burrows is being singled out, not only for "his story", but the impact he had through sheer hard work and determination, along with his longevity and loyalty.  Seems ample reasoning to me.

You've said "you think" he's overrated here by posters, but that's our prerogative. 

We happen to disagree and I'd say the majority rules.  Very few argue "against" Burr.  Just not sure why you wouldn't just pass on by rather than digging your heels in over this?

It's a done deal.  Time for you to let it go?

• Cheers 3

On 7/18/2019 at 6:51 PM, HockeyHarry said:

12 Seasons with Canucks:

GP: 822 - 6th all time (Behind the Sedins, Linden, Smyl, and Naslund. All retired numbers)

Goals: 193 - 9th all time

SH Goals: 17 - 2nd all time

SH Pts: 24 - 3rd all time

GWG : 26 - 8th all time

FranchisePlayoffs:

GP: 70 - 8th all time

Goals: 19 - 7th all time

OT Goals: 3 - Tied 7th all time

Not good enough for number retirement but certainly enough for the RoH.  What doesn't show up in the numbers is how much he meant to the team. Smart enough to complete the Sedin line, top pair penalty killer, and heart and soul teammate. Far more than a good story - The Dragon Slayer. 

Edited by Baggins
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1