The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

12 Seasons with Canucks:

GP: 822 - 6th all time (Behind the Sedins, Linden, Smyl, and Naslund. All retired numbers)

Goals: 193 - 9th all time

SH Goals: 17 - 2nd all time

SH Pts: 24 - 3rd all time

GWG : 26 - 8th all time

FranchisePlayoffs:

GP: 70 - 8th all time

Goals: 19 - 7th all time

OT Goals: 3 - Tied 7th all time

Not good enough for number retirement but certainly enough for the RoH.  What doesn't show up in the numbers is how much he meant to the team. Smart enough to complete the Sedin line, top pair penalty killer, and heart and soul teammate. Far more than a good story - The Dragon Slayer. 

It’s makes me sad that after almost 50yrs of the Canucks and this is it.  But I think the best is yet to come

As Mentioned I think Burrows biggest accomplishment is 12yrs with the Canucks. If other Canucks players played 12yrs on this team Burrows stats would be a lot lower on the Canuck stat list. 

Burrow to me was just a 3rd liner moose graduate and was able too stick on the team. He was just a average NHLer.

he was just a little bit better and played more games with the Twins and Canucks 

Jason King

Taylor Pyatt

Trent Klatt

Anson Carter

Harold Druken

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Wat 1

15 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

It’s makes me sad that after almost 50yrs of the Canucks and this is it.  But I think the best is yet to come

As Mentioned I think Burrows biggest accomplishment is 12yrs with the Canucks. If other Canucks players played 12yrs on this team Burrows stats would be a lot lower on the Canuck stat list. 

Burrow to me was just a 3rd liner moose graduate and was able too stick on the team. He was just a average NHLer.

he was just a little bit better and played more games with the Twins and Canucks 

Jason King

Taylor Pyatt

Trent Klatt

Anson Carter

Harold Druken

He's going in the Ring of Honour... get over it. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Jason King

Taylor Pyatt

Trent Klatt

Anson Carter

Harold Druken

There's a reason some players manage to stick with one team longer than others. You could make the same argument about Snepsts being in the RoH. Honoring a player for service to the franchise is definitely a factor. Not many players, outside franchise players, play 12 seasons for one team.

Burrows was far more than average, particularly in hockey smarts. We all saw the difficulty coaches and GM's had finding players smart enough to take advantage of playing with the twins. His ability to fit with, and read, the Sedins set him apart. Average players production had a slight increase with the Sedins but not like it did with Burrows. The only comparable was Carter and he wanted too much and walked. Burrows on the other hand signed a bargain deal to stay. This is a just reward for both his play, and his commitment to the team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I just find it funny how posters here think Burrows was more then he actually was. Yes he put in the effort but he wasn’t what the posters hype him up as.

Is that Deb I hear...…

Bullfighter.gif.c504d339b97ec4aaa737ac0d11ed1ba0.gif

...yup.

:canucks::towel::canucks:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

There's a reason some players manage to stick with one team longer than others. You could make the same argument about Snepsts being in the RoH. Honoring a player for service to the franchise is definitely a factor. Not many players, outside franchise players, play 12 seasons for one team.

Burrows was far more than average, particularly in hockey smarts. We all saw the difficulty coaches and GM's had finding players smart enough to take advantage of playing with the twins. His ability to fit with, and read, the Sedins set him apart. Average players production had a slight increase with the Sedins but not like it did with Burrows. The only comparable was Carter and he wanted too much and walked. Burrows on the other hand signed a bargain deal to stay. This is a just reward for both his play, and his commitment to the team.

I think the Sedins did pretty good with everyone they played with.

12yr with Canucks was a lot to do with been apart of the AV moose graduates and fitting in the group. Yes he was a decent hockey player but he was just average.

6 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I just find it funny how posters here think Burrows was more then he actually was. Yes he put in the effort but he wasn’t what the posters hype him up as.

This is now considered trolling, spam and redundant.  Especially in seeing how many times, often in succession, you've hammered your point here over the past few pages.  

Time to move on.

• Cheers 2

On 7/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, HockeyHarry said:

I get Management wants too have somebody in the 2010/2011 era in the Ring of Honor. 

I think that Ring of Honor spot would better served having AV and the the Canuck Players from the Manitoba Moose as a group.

i don’t see why Burrows is being singled out and the rest of them are being forgotten.

Maybe it’s just his journey to make the NHL. It’s a good story. I still think he’s really really overrated by posters here. I think Canucks still would of had the same success Burrowless. 

Are you forgetting Edler? If his Jersey number doesn’t go up he will for sure be ring of honour....

34 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Are you forgetting Edler? If his Jersey number doesn’t go up he will for sure be ring of honour....

Edler is another one that will in get some sort of Honor. 

I know that there’s a long list of Canucks that have been long solid fixtures of the Canucks and should be Honored. Yes that includes Burrows.

My Burrows complaints 100% started with the imo the over hype by the posters here. Then got me comparing him too others on the Team in the same time frame and others from the past.. Gélinas...this got me thinking of the merits of Burrows being singled out.

i May of misinterpreted some of the hype  which was probably a modest case of Chuck Norris sarcasm by posters.

Theres going to be a lot of Rings of Honors from the last 15yrs as Burrows is just the starting point of that era. At lest four more should be Bieksa, Kelser, Hansen and of course Edler. 

The way the Canucks new group is shaping up there will be a ton more ROH in the future.

Edler will certainly be Honored.

24 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Edler is another one that will in get some sort of Honor. 

I know that there’s a long list of Canucks that have been long solid fixtures of the Canucks and should be Honored. Yes that includes Burrows.

My Burrows complaints 100% started with the imo the over hype by the posters here. Then got me comparing him too others on the Team in the same time frame and others from the past.. Gélinas...this got me thinking of the merits of Burrows being singled out.

i May of misinterpreted some of the hype  which was probably a modest case of Chuck Norris sarcasm by posters.

Theres going to be a lot of Rings of Honors from the last 15yrs as Burrows is just the starting point of that era. At lest four more should be Bieksa, Kelser, Hansen and of course Edler. 

The way the Canucks new group is shaping up there will be a ton more ROH in the future.

Edler will certainly be Honored.

I really liked Gelinas’ game. Burrows reminded me of him quite a bit, albeit Burrows had better hands and was more clutch.

What I want to know is when will Jiri Slegr be entered into the ring of honour?!?? He’s da man!

46 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I really liked Gelinas’ game. Burrows reminded me of him quite a bit, albeit Burrows had better hands and was more clutch.

What I want to know is when will Jiri Slegr be entered into the ring of honour?!?? He’s da man!

Slegrs slapshot was legendary. Cuz it was always at headlevel . But he was said by many too be the greatest blue liner Canucks ever had. He lead the 94 Canucks by his presence on the roster and was a pivotal piece of the 94 identity. Slegr at the time was only young but he was a great leader and taught his teammates, players like Linden and Bure on how to be a professional athlete. Most will tell you if Jiri Slegr wasn’t on the team then the Canuck franchise would be non existent.

As far as I know Jiri Slegr is in Phase 4 plan of Canucks ROH.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Slegrs slapshot was legendary. Cuz it was always at headlevel . But he was said by many too be the greatest blue liner Canucks ever had. He lead the 94 Canucks by his presence on the roster and was a pivotal piece of the 94 identity. Slegr at the time was only young but he was a great leader and taught his teammates, players like Linden and Bure on how to be a professional athlete. Most will tell you if Jiri Slegr wasn’t on the team then the Canuck franchise would be non existent.

As far as I know Jiri Slegr is in Phase 4 plan of Canucks ROH.

Linden drove to practises and games with Smyl daily for two years before Slegr got here. Linden took over the captaincy when Smyl retired, before Slegr even played a game here. That should tell you all you need to know about who was Linden's leadership mentor on and off the ice.

Slegr didn't even play two full seasons here. He's already in the much larger "Ring of Players that once wore a Canucks uniform". :lol:

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Linden drove to practises and games with Smyl daily for two years before Slegr got here. Linden took over the captaincy when Smyl retired, before Slegr even played a game here. That should tell you all you need to know about who was Linden's leadership mentor on and off the ice.

Slegr didn't even play two full seasons here. He's already in the much larger "Ring of Players that once wore a Canucks uniform". :lol:

I think I read somewhere that Chuck Norris listed Slegr as his mentor.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, dpn1 said:

Does anyone think that Alex could become a good head coach one day?  Wouldn't it be nice if in a few year Alex would become a head coach in Utica?

We'd be winning da tird a lot that's for sure

And when he chirped the refs they probably wouldn't understand him much so he would be less likely to get a bench minor

As long as Auger doesn't somehow end up reffing our games that'd probably be fine

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...