The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Well, I'm not the biggest fan of Burrows, it's not that he cant fight. He draws penalties because he gets under the skin of the opponents and

THEY are the ones who end up getting the fighting penalty.

• Upvote 1

lol

armchair gm's from b.c. that probably never stepped on the ice make me laugh.

Ive watched and played hockey all my life and i know garbage when i see it. It just goes to show how mixed up vancouver canuck fans are when it comes to hockey. most of you should try playing the game before thinking your experts by watching it.

Just because you played up to Midget C and then joined the ASHL doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

• Upvote 1

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows.

...What?

You would rather have Cowan over him?

Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot.

Nope.

He can't score

and the likes of brown rypien and cowan can?

Led the team in shorthanded goals last year.

and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

haha

• Upvote 1

lol

armchair gm's from b.c. that probably never stepped on the ice make me laugh.

Ive watched and played hockey all my life and i know garbage when i see it.

And somehow Nonis, AV, Gillis and the whole of Canucks management doesn't?

Yet he is in the NHL and you are not... if he is garbage, what does that make you? :rolleyes:

It just goes to show how mixed up vancouver canuck fans are when it comes to hockey. most of you should try playing the game before thinking your experts by watching it.

and how do you know people reply/commenting on your post hasn't played more hockey than you? Just because people disagree with what you have to say, you are going to conclude that they have an inferior hockey knowledge than you?

Your opinion: Burrows does not belong in the NHL and is garbage.

AV, Nonis, Gillis' opinion: Burrows is likely to make the team and will play a huge role in PK, 5 on 5, and grit.

Conclusion: Clutch > Canucks Management

Damn i think you should apply for a job in the organization. Tell us how it goes, make us CDC users proud.

• Upvote 1

If Burrows plays on the 4th line this year, he's one of the top 4th liners in the NHL.

30 point capabilities, able to draw penalties, and a top-shelp penalty killer.

This year he is a bargain. Let's see how much money he wants next year, because he may price his way off this hockey team if someone thinks he's worth 2 million dollars.

• Upvote 1

isnt he close to league minimum?

wait nevermind, our team has 10m free cap space, so that arguement doesnt cut it...

i don't know.. burr has lots of NHL experience now.. i'll list the good and the bad

good

always tries

tries to hit every shift

uses his speed

some nice passes in pre-season so far

good in a shut-down role

bad

falls all over the ice, terrible balance

it seems besides breakaways he has hands of stone

another small forward in a tough division (but i think he's proven himself against tough opponents already)

won't win any fights (and might pull a cooke-turtle too)

so... i don't know. burrows doesnt win you a cup, anyone who thinks that is retarded... but truth be told.. i think if kesler-hansen is a scoring line now, and our 4th is shut-down... maybe burrows SHOULD be on the 4th line (or scratched for a fighter) and have one of our young guys with HANDS stuck with kesler-hansen... burrows is definitly the least-skilled guy on that line now.. imagine what they could do with a true power forward making space for them?

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

He cant score he had a career year last year....... Your a wack job man. Heres an idea stop watching the canucks

wait nevermind, our team has 10m free cap space, so that arguement doesnt cut it...

i don't know.. burr has lots of NHL experience now.. i'll list the good and the bad

good

always tries

tries to hit every shift

uses his speed

good in a shut-down role

bad

another small forward in a tough division (but i think he's proven himself against tough opponents already)

so... i don't know. burrows doesnt win you a cup, anyone who thinks that is retarded... but truth be told.. i think if kesler-hansen is a scoring line now, and our 4th is shut-down... maybe burrows SHOULD be on the 4th line (or scratched for a fighter) and have one of our young guys with HANDS stuck with kesler-hansen... burrows is definitly the least-skilled guy on that line now.. imagine what they could do with a true power forward making space for them?

finally someone with some hockey sense

• Like 1

While I agree with you that Burrows is an awesome third liner and great value at his current price, I have to disagree with you and everyone else that somehow PIM are a positive statistic. Any idiot can take a penalty. It's crazy the fantasy leagues and people who think someone is "playing hard" because they commit a penalty. Only in hockey is this true. In football you have hell to pay if you take penalties. Is it awesome to foul out in basketball? If committing a penalty is so awesome why does everyone like to be on the power play? I know this sounds elementary, but everyone needs to wake up. If I walked up to someone and punched them can I explain to the judge that I was "playing life harder." Use your own mind, people.

I agree in general. Its a junk stat.

However, PIM becomes relevant stat when there are like, 200+ of them. Even the hook-iest, board-iest, interference-iest players in the league would be hard pressed to get 100 penalties, 2 minutes at a time. But when you've got a whole whack of 5 for fightings thrown in there, it adds up. If you see a player with 200 PIM and 30 points, you know at a glance he drops the mitts and puts a few away as well.

*shrug*

Edited by neksys

good

always tries

tries to hit every shift

uses his speed

good in a shut-down role

bad

I more or less agree with your assessment. For once the rose coloured glasses are off :)

But two points:

1) Guys like Burrows DO win you Cups. They're all part of the whole. You need the skill in front of you, but without a solid checking line, you're done. Think Craig MacTavish - similar +/- numbers, a few more points, a damn fine checker and 4 rings to his name. The problem is, Burrows in particular won't win you a cup - just guys like Burrows.

2) haha WTF is up with his hands? The guy suddenly turns into Alex Ovechkin on a shorthanded breakaway, but can't stuff away an easy pass into a gaping net the rest of the year?

• Upvote 1

I know there are a ton of moves that can be made to improve the Canucks, but telling Burrows his services are no longer needed is not a wise choice. But you did get one thing right...it is getting pretty hot in here.

• Upvote 1

Of course he'll want a raise. It'll be damn well-deserved as well. I'm just saying it would be very foolish to trade him right now when he's such a bargain. As long as Gillis makes his raise reasonable (ie. not the kind of raise Cooke got, which was ridiculous, I agree), he'll be a quality player on the Canucks for years to come.

Agree

• Upvote 1