The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stuck On Homework? **The Homework Thread v0.01** is here!

More-is-on

high-school offers little guidance on how to use sources for a research essay, footnotes, citations etc...

angry.gif

Remy could you tell us why English teachers have so much focus on how to interpret books, and novels

and rarely little emphasis on academic writing in the form of footnotes, citations, methods of research, establishing a thesis and supporting it, business writing too etc...

English at the high school levels seems to all be about writing about a Theme of some book you read. Honestly the practicality of that after high school is minimal.

I understand that those assignments teach writing fundamentals but still...

If you're stuck on citations there are websites that can show you how to properly do it. You are best off to ask the teacher, if possible. Heck, let them know that the class needs it explained. Usually though, citations at the high school level are a formality to give practice. I wouldn't sweat too much.

As for focusing on theme rather than writing mechanics, that's because you're really learning analysis, and that is hugely important in anything you will ever do. Besides, writing mechanics are pretty boring. Just look up prosody if you want to see something really scary.

Aspirin contains 60.0% carbon, 4.48% hydrogen, and 35.5% oxygen. It has a molecular mass of 180 g/mol. What are the empirical and molecular formula?

60.0g C = 1mol = 5 moles / 2 = 2.5*2 = 5

------- = 12.01

4.48g H = 1mol = 4 moles / 2 = 2*2 = 4

------- = 1.01

35.5g O = 1mol = 2 moles / 2 = 1*2 = 2

------- = 16.00

Empirical = C5H4O2

C = 5*12.01g/mol = 60.05gC5

H = 4*1.01g/mol = 4.04gH4

O = 2*16.00g/mol = 32.00gO2

= 96.09g C5H4O2

180/96.09 = 2

Molecular = C10H8O4

Did I do it right? Seems like rather high numbers.

• 1 month later...

Not really sure what your question is...

The tangent line is the line that touches your graph only once at the point they are asking for (pi). And if my memory is correct, the slope of the tangent line is just the 1st derivative of your equation.

Archived