The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stuck On Homework? **The Homework Thread v0.01** is here!

More-is-on

Well, we are choosing all possible combinations of 4 numbers out of 12. So first you take the largest four numbers... 12x11x10x9 and then divide it by 2 = there are 5940 ways you can choose four different couples.

Now the tricky part... there are 4 unique prizes and 4 winners, well there are 16 different ways of giving 4 unique prizes to 4 different winners so multiply 5940 x 16

There's an easy way to explain how this works...

Lets assume that there are 4 people and you want to know how many combinations of two you can have...

So there's 4-3-2-1, and we only want two people so we multiply the two largest numbers together... 4 x 3 = 12 and then divide that by 2 = 6

So there are 6 possible combinations of two numbers

1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4.

Of course if you want to find all combinations where the same numbers reversed doesn't count as the same pair, ie 1-4, 4-1 just don't divide by two.

I'm not good at explaining things but i hope this helps.

Well, we are choosing all possible combinations of 4 numbers out of 12. So first you take the largest four numbers... 12x11x10x9 and then divide it by 2 = there are 5940 ways you can choose four different couples.

Now the tricky part... there are 4 unique prizes and 4 winners, well there are 16 different ways of giving 4 unique prizes to 4 different winners so multiply 5940 x 16

There's an easy way to explain how this works...

Lets assume that there are 4 people and you want to know how many combinations of two you can have...

So there's 4-3-2-1, and we only want two people so we multiply the two largest numbers together... 4 x 3 = 12 and then divide that by 2 = 6

So there are 6 possible combinations of two numbers

1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4.

Of course if you want to find all combinations where the same numbers reversed doesn't count as the same pair, ie 1-4, 4-1 just don't divide by two.

I'm not good at explaining things but i hope this helps.

Archived