The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stuck On Homework? **The Homework Thread v0.01** is here!

More-is-on

i hate to do this to you but in the first line of the work you posted above you assumed the result and that is why you get the right conclusion at the end. unfortunately this makes the proof invalid as stated. when you sum i^3 to k+1, you get (k+1)^3 + (the sum of i^3 up to k). your first line has stated that the sum of i^3 to k+1 = (k+1)^3 + (sum of i to k)^2.

so in that line you've used the result you're trying to prove. i don't know if this is your entire proof, if so unfortunately you'll have to start again. if that's the case i can type something up if you still need some hints.

i hate to do this to you but in the first line of the work you posted above you assumed the result and that is why you get the right conclusion at the end. unfortunately this makes the proof invalid as stated. when you sum i^3 to k+1, you get (k+1)^3 + (the sum of i^3 up to k). your first line has stated that the sum of i^3 to k+1 = (k+1)^3 + (sum of i to k)^2.

so in that line you've used the result you're trying to prove. i don't know if this is your entire proof, if so unfortunately you'll have to start again. if that's the case i can type something up if you still need some hints.

ah okay i see what you did. i thought from your first proof you were trying to show the result using direct comparison, and that you accidently used the result as one of the steps in your comparison.

proof by induction is definately the right way to do this problem... i should have realized that's what you were doing when i read your first proof but it's been a while since i've come across it. i'm confident the proof you just posted is complete, I didn't look at every algebraic step but I assume they are correct.

they are.

I realized that I hated series in calculus II and I still don't like them much now.

I still have to my homework for that stupid probability/statistics course thats supposedly needed for 3rd year (comp sci) but 2 people are actually taking it (from 2nd year comp sci)

they are.

I realized that I hated series in calculus II and I still don't like them much now.

I still have to my homework for that stupid probability/statistics course thats supposedly needed for 3rd year (comp sci) but 2 people are actually taking it (from 2nd year comp sci)

Archived