Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Stuck On Homework? **The Homework Thread v0.01** is here!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2612 replies to this topic

#2611 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hey, so basically this just dealing with similar triangles and using proportions.

You know that the server is 8 feet high, and the net is 3 feet high. Assuming the server serves the ball linearly, it clears just above the net. You know that the distance the server is from the net is 40 feet. So if you draw your triangle:

Posted Image
You're trying to find the overall distance, which I've labelled as L. So then the distance from where the ball lands and the net is considered L-40. The property of similar triangles is basically using ratios, where the smaller triangle is proportional to the larger triangle (or vice versa). So if you wrote it out, you would have:

3/(L-40) = 8/L

The ratios can be switched around, but have to "match" as they are proportional (ie. if you write length/height for one ratio, do so for the other ratio).

Through cross-multiplication, you can now solve for L (I'm assuming you can do algebra here) to get L = 64 feet. (Edit: Whoops, it wants how far the ball is from the net, so just take L-40 = 24 feet.)

Hope that helps, I was bored lol. IMO the most important part is knowing how to draw the triangle. The rest is a piece of cake.

If my post wasn't too clear, you can also have a look-see here: http://www.math.com/...s/S1U2L4DP.html (I just googled it, but it should help if you don't understand)

Yes, it proved helpful. Thank you ::D
Posted Image

#2612 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

I have a couple more questions if anyone is willing to help. I tried myself several times and still can't figure out so I'm not just a free loader, I just don't know how to solve completely. You guys are way better than me so these should be easy:

Statistical Reasoning:

1) Find an expression for the mean and standard deviation for the following data. Complete the calculations algebraically.

4a+6b a-b a+b 2a-2b

(I followed a video tutorial step by step and still can't get the answer simplified like it was shown. I got the square root of 6a+26b^2 over 4.)(I think the answer is suppose to only have one variable and not be sqaured so I'm way off. I tried a few different ways as well and still got an answer that can't be simplified further.)

-----------

Proportional Reasoning:

2) Bill started walking to town at a speed of 6km/hr. Thirty minutes later Sue wanted to catch up to Bill and started running at 12 km/hr. Draw a graph to show how long it would take for Sue to catch up to Bill.

-----------

That's it. Everything else I can figure out B)

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 12 June 2012 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#2613 CanucksCupHopes

CanucksCupHopes

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Lp

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.