The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

I've did a few school projects on Vimy Ridge, and always try to catch documentaries on that battle, as well as many others.

Canada had made some serious contributions to war-efforts throughout its history, even more considering our relatively small population at the time and short history.

Remembering the veterans should be done year-round, just there happens to be 1 official day where it's solemnly "celebrated".

You can wear it everyday if you wish, I've seem some veterans that has done it (I can't confirm it's "every day", but when you see it being worn in June, I'm guess it would be so).

There's nothing rude about wearing it whenever you want.

Do people find it rude to wear a poppy after Remembrance Day? It seems to go against the idea of "Lest We Forget" when we only think about it for two weeks a year.

I'm not sure what to do.

i think the reason why they are worn for the week and a half in november is to show that you are remembering the veterans. if it became an all year thing you would probably have less people wearing them.

also im not sure if it is rude to wear them after the 11th, that is what my mom always told me. alot of people i noticed took them off after the moment of silence at 11. the reason behind this i think is when you go to the ceremony after the moment of silence at 11am to conclude the ceremony they have everyone place their poppies on the cenotaph.

Do people find it rude to wear a poppy after Remembrance Day? It seems to go against the idea of "Lest We Forget" when we only think about it for two weeks a year.

I'm not sure what to do.

The tradition is to wear a poppy for 11 days culminating in Remembrance Day - part of the symmetry of the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour.

• Vintage 1

• 1 year later...

Go to a Remembrance Day service, wear a poppy, and thank a Veteran or current serving member of your countries Military.

This is a code we all should live by.

Armistice Day is single handedly the most important day of the year. Remember those who fought for our freedoms.

They shall grow not old.

My father lied about his age so he could join the army in time for D-day .

He made it half way up sword beach before he was shot multiple times .

The english doctors had given up on him , it was a Czechoslovakian jew , that had fled prague in 1938 , to escape nazi persecution , that took up his case , saved his life , and told him he might live to forty if he moved to a warmer climate , australia .

He turned 86 back in july .

He lived through the blitz , the firebombing of coventry , and the V-1 buzz bomb campaign , it was this that motivated him to become a aircraft design engineer .

He taught me that there is no glory and honour in war , merely pain and suffering , on all sides .

• Upvote 3

My father lied about his age so he could join the army in time for D-day .

He made it half way up sword beach before he was shot multiple times .

The english doctors had given up on him , it was a Czechoslovakian jew , that had fled prague in 1938 , to escape nazi persecution , that took up his case , saved his life , and told him he might live to forty if he moved to a warmer climate , australia .

He turned 86 back in july .

He lived through the blitz , the firebombing of coventry , and the V-1 buzz bomb campaign , it was this that motivated him to become a aircraft design engineer .

He taught me that there is no glory and honour in war , merely pain and suffering , on all sides .

Exactly!

My great grandfather moved to Canada from England just before the great war. He, and his beat friend signed up with the 48 Highlanders in Toronto. Both of them fought in every major conflict Canada was involved with, together they both lived through it all but were gassed twice. I couldn't imagine seeing ten thousand men a day die. when the battles were over, all the men would line up to receive their medals. Neither of them did because they believed they were doing this because it needed to be done, not for a medal or glory.

This story inspired me to join the reserves and it has been an amazing ride thus far, I do it because I love making a difference and being part of a team. I plan to go to the Vimy Ridge Memorial in 2017 to honour my great grandfather for the amazing life we have and the hell he went through to get that for us.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Remembrance day really hits home for me like I'm sure it does for many of you too. like I, I'm sure most do a lot of complaining about things year in and year out about work, the canucks (lol), home life, money etc. but we really all do live great lives because of what our grandfathers amd mothers and their fathers and mothers have sacrificed for us. I really wish I can do something for my future family like they did for us.

here's to them

Edited by Gooseberries