The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

It's 30 minutes away from November 11th over here, and this is my first time away from Canada on Remembrance Day since my family immigrated there. It feels weird not to have a poppy on hand for this day.

This feels really, really, really strange... And the fact that it does is a huge indicator of how much this day actually means to us Canadians, I think. Makes me want to pay a visit to the Canadian embassy later (since I get off work early today) just to see if they have poppies available.

Good for you. I would visit the war memorial too if you get a chance today. Just seems like the right thing to do to me.

I just realized I have a few more photos I can add. When I was in Ottawa in February I made sure to visit the War Memorial and the Tomb of the Unkown Soldier.

[i put most of the images in spoiler tags so they don't take up the whole page or slow anyone's browser down]

PICT0213.jpg

PICT0207.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

PICT0208.jpg

Here's the War Memorial,

PICT0204.jpg

And a close up

PICT0217.jpg

I also visited the Peacekeeping Monument,

PICT0267.jpg

And a random photo from the War Museum that I though folks on here might enjoy (sorry for the quality, this was the best I could get in the dim museum light :()

PICT0099-1.jpg

It reads: Comic books were immensely popular. In this example, Johnny Canuck fought Nazi oppression using only his fists and Canadian courage.

How does a soldier remain unknown?

Basing from what I know on war movies, individual soldiers have dog tags, correct? And doesn't each squad have a roll call? Battalion roll calls? And then of course the army and the government has all the paper work and identification so when a soldier never returns, wouldn't they know so and so has died in combat? I don't understand how a soldier can be unknown.

As much as we did about ww1/ww2 in history, we never went over this at all.

:unsure:

Care to elaborate or is a 1 line post all you have?

Not taking anything away from the soldiers. However, you're talking like the Canadian Forces are some kind of force to be reckoned with and they're really not at all. No country in this world is scared of the Canadian government sending their army to "protect Canadian interests" really. They just don't have the capability

if it was the 30s/40s: forget negotiating with hitler, negotiate with the german public to make them see the light and have him overthrown

edited because of typo.

You've got to be kidding me. The German public were already brainwashed by Hitler and most were really patriotic. Even the german kids were giving their life to serve Hitler. What would the German public really do anyways, since Hitler already had his huge army and they were on pace to invade the whole Europe. Going to war against Germany was imminent and had to be done to save human lives and humanity.

Basing from what I know on war movies, individual soldiers have dog tags, correct? And doesn't each squad have a roll call? Battalion roll calls? And then of course the army and the government has all the paper work and identification so when a soldier never returns, wouldn't they know so and so has died in combat? I don't understand how a soldier can be unknown.

While most of the dead are known, not all of the bodies and graves were identified and that could be for any number of reasons. I would guess that the most common occurrence was that there was no time to mark the graves. Remove the dog tags so next of kin could be notified, then bury the dead and move on. In the mud and muck of trench warfare, there would likely have been little else to ID bodies by once the dog tags were off.

If you look back at some of my earlier posts, with pictures from Vimy Ridge and the Menin Gate, you can see just how many soldiers died with no identified graves. They know who died - the names are inscribed on monuments - but their exact graves are among the many that are simply labeled "A Soldier of the Great War".

Edited by Starbug

You should watch the Apocalypse: WWII 6 part series that goes in depth with the history of WWII and you will learn something and at the same time appreciate what the Canadian soldiers did to liberate most of Europe alongside the British, French and American army.

Edited by DefCon1

Not always. Back in those days it wasn't kept up as well, so it's very possible that there were soldiers who died unknown. And there are a lot of bodies found that are so mutilated that you cannot possibly identify them. So in a way they died "unknown". The family would only know that the soldier did not return, but they could only assume that they died. So I suppose that's what they mean by "unknown soldier".

You also have to take partisans into account. There was no system governing them, or roll call or lists or anything of the sort. When they died, they died unknown.

My Grandpa didn't die from the war, but the injuries he suffered plagued him throughout his life. However, the war was his only opportunity for survival. His mother had mental issues, and his dad was a drunk. He had nothing except for an opportunity. He joined at a very young age. One day while in the barracks a sergeant yelled at him because he had facial hair. Why haven't you shaved! he yelled. My grandpa responded that he didn't know how. A teenager so young he hadn't learned to shave was risking his lilfe for his country. He flew in th bomber airplanes and had gas dropped over him. He returned to Canada a hero, and married my grandmother. He wanted to attend law school but he still didn't have the money. My grandma offered to work but during that time my grandfather would not allow that.

Instead, he worked his way up starting as a insurance claims manager. He would move to Prince George from Vancouver and became involved in politics. He would go on to become an MP, representing Prince George-Bulkey valley, one of the largest geographic constituencys in the country. He served from 1979-1988, when he retired from politics.

My Grandpa ensured that his grandchildren would have the opportunities he didn't have as a 20 year old man. He set up an education trust fund for all his grandchildren to ensure that they could afford a university education.

Other reasons aside, my Grandpa has been a major influence on my decision to go to law school. He has given me so many opportunities that he never got to experience at my age. For me to waste these opportunities because of laziness is the worst thing I could possibly do. My grandpa is my biggest motivator. May he rest in peace.

Please share your stories as well so that the lives of the men and women who served our country live on.

My Grandfather fought for the ROC (Republic of China) Army. Although he did not fight for Canada, he fought for the same ideals as our Canadians vets in which he gave his today for our tomorrow. I remember my grandfather coming into my history 12 class to be a guest speaker on telling our class his experience of fighting against the Japanese. I remember him telling his story in Cantonese, crying telling his story while I was translating for the class. During the 1930s, the Chinese political and social structure was in major chaos as the Republicans and Communists were splitting the Chinese society to gather support. For my grandfather, as naive as it would sound today on reflecting back on analyzing the political and social issues of China during the 1930s; my grandfather did not care for the Communist or Republicans as the threat to China's well being, it was the Japanese Empire that had threaten the well being of China. My grandfather saw all sorts of horrors that was done and exploited by the Japanese on the Chinese people, land, and its society. Unfortunately for my Grandfather, he has forever been reminded of his sacrifice with a bayonet stab and shrapnel wound received and scarred over his stomach and he will take that with him to his grave when that happens. My grandfather does not consider himself a hero, he did something that anyone of us would've done if we felt our well being was threatened.

What has bother and annoy me thus far about Remembrance day is how alot of people have acted inconsiderate and disrespectful on using Remembrance day as an excuse for a day off during mid week. There is a reason why November 11th is marked on our calendar and for us to take that day off, it is to remember. Remembrance day is not a day of happiness, it is a sombre day to reflect and remember. I know alot of you could really use as many days off during this hectic last stretch of the year, but all it takes is just two minutes, TWO MINUTES of your time today to reflect and remember. You can just shut yourself down, DO NOTHING, close your eyes and be silent. You can also go onto YouTube to watch the many tribute videos available or you can take the extra effort to go down to a legion and meet a vet. As a proud Canadian Army Reservist, I stand at attention and salute the vets who've fought and survived/fallen before me so that I can be here right now. LEST WE FORGET.

While most of us will remember and reflect on what our Canadian vets did in the likes of Passchendale, Vimy Ridge, Juno Beach, Liberation of Holland, and etc. I find that alot of Canadians have often forgotten or not know of what our vets did in Hong Kong during World War 2. The Battle of Hong Kong was the first time Canadians saw action in the Pacific (or World War 2 actually, someone might need to correct me here) during World War 2. The ill judgment by our puppet Canadian government at the time followed the British request for reinforcements and sent Canadian troops to Hong Kong and be ready to defend it against the Japanese. The battle was a bloodbath and all surviving Canadians after the battle were sent to prisoner of war camps were alot of them were starved or worked to death. Those who survived to the end of World War 2 were malnourished or fragile. Here is a good video to watch for a historical analysis on Canada's role in the Battle of Hong Kong

HZukA-TBPWA

Good for you. I would visit the war memorial too if you get a chance today. Just seems like the right thing to do to me.

I took your advice today.

Went to the Canadian embassy in Seoul near Seodaemun and picked up a poppy, then went to the War Memorial of Korea.

I taped the poppy up on the Canadian memorial:

4094747299_bd534ab57b.jpg

I actually wanted to leave it there, but the wind was really strong and the plaque was dirty (which meant the tape wouldn't hold for more than a minute) so I couldn't.

• Upvote 1