The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

/tear

For some reason I'm like the only guy sporting a poppy around the office this year :angry:

you don't need to wear poppies to be appreciative of the sacrifices of canadian soldiers ... a lot of the people who wear them are doing it just for show ... it's the same thing with the americans and their "lapel pins" supposedly symbolizing "patriotism" ...

• Upvote 2

Excellently done. I'm definately dressing up this year.. had to last year, but this year it is voluntary.

Don't have a poppy yet, as I have no means of acquiring one, but I choose to show my appreciation with words.

I'm definately watching a couple of documentaries during 11/11.

Edited by HalfMoon

memorial_day_2.jpg

"Year after year we gather and shout commands in the Square,

Wait for the Governor-General, say a few words of prayer,

Lay our wreaths in order, mothers and big shots first,

In memory of those who have made it to the other side of the worst."

- George Johnston, Canadian poet, Remembrance, 1966

Hundreds of thousands of men and women have given their time, their health (mental and/or physical), and even their lives in an effort to make the world a better place.

I wouldn't agree that the people who fought and died in WW1 did so "to make the world a better place". Many fought and died because they were forced to by the State.

Lets not lose sight of why WW1 occured. "Never Again", indeed.

Lest We Forget.

• Upvote 1

Excellently done. I'm definately dressing up this year.. had to last year, but this year it is voluntary.

Don't have a poppy yet, as I have no means of acquiring one, but I choose to show my appreciation with words.

I'm definately watching a couple of documentaries during 11/11.

Vimy Ridge: Heaven to Hell is a good one. It first aired 2 years ago. The tunnels they show in the film were closed to the public when I was at Vimy Ridge. :(

I watched Passchendale last night.

It was tough to watch.

That monument was one of the ones that Hitler did not allow anyone to defile during WW2. Sacred place.

Great thread starbug. Great thread.

I know - that's pretty amazing. The monument (and grounds) is definitely worth the trip if you're in Europe; it can easily be done as a day trip from Paris. The Menin Gate, in Ypres, is pretty impressive too. In amongst the 55k names, I actually managed to find the section of wall dedicated to the Princess Pat's.

The first two stops in my 3 week tour (post co-op workterm in Geneva) were Vimy Ridge and Ypres - those were two rather emotional days. I wouldn't trade them for anything though.

Everytime a day like this comes around i just think about the boys and then men that did not come home to there loved

ones and back to the country that they loved but instead became selfless and choose to do a service to the country that

asked them to sacrifice the most.Its kinda makes me sad that only one day of the year we pay tribute to these soldiers

but i guess we really dont care about them that much.It kinda reminds me of this quote from JFK

"Ask not what your country can do for you - Ask what you can do for your country"

It says alot and it means alot

This one as well

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names"

This is the best one of all

"Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind"

John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

Edited by bignickdawg

I watched Passchendale last night.

It was tough to watch.

That monument was one of the ones that Hitler did not allow anyone to defile during WW2. Sacred place.

Great thread starbug. Great thread.

That sounds interesting you have a link to the story