The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

Great thread...Ive been waiting until the 11th to post in here.

My girlfriend and I watched Saving Private Ryan on History the other night, and we found it tough to watch at times. To know that soldiers went through that is just awful. No wonder a lot of them were messed up coming back. It then made us think about our grandfathers who both fought in WWII, mine being in the Mediteranean on a Navy ship and hers as a navigator in the Air Force. My grandmother was in Scotland when the Nazi's raided her town and a bomb dropped from a plane actually hit the building she was in....but it did not detonate. Had it detonated, me, my dad and all my uncles and aunty's wouldnt be here today. I sure hope that me and my children never have to experience something like that.

I will never forget. remembrance-poppy.jpg

Although I understand why In Flanders Field is the poem we associate with Remembrance Day, I'm not sure it is the best poem for a day that is supposed to be not only about honouring those individuals who gave their lives, their health or prime years of their lives to fight for this country - but also remembering, as civilians, what war is about, and what we ask of those individuals who serve - and why more needs to be done to avoid war.

Individuals who died, served or serve today should be honoured. Although not all war can be avoided, war should not be glorified or honoured.

For people who have never served, which includes myself, here is a short reason why, in my opinion, we honour those who have - and why we should always do our best to avoid having to ask people to serve:

The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner

by Randall Jarrell

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,

And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.

Six miles from earth, loosed from the dream of life,

I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.

When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

The ceremony from Ottawa was pretty emotional and very well conducted. It was also really nice to see Prince Charles as a part of the ceremonies. War vets must have some amazing stories to tell. Kinda makes me want to serve in the Forces for awhile!

I'm just watching it now (on PVR). I'm just getting to the 'live' part now. This part of the pre-recorded stuff was beautifully done: CBC video

I've got a bad feeling that 10 years from now, no one is going to give two sh*ts for Remembrance Day. I was at Victory Square this morning, when it was supposed to be a moment of silence, the young teens and adults there flipping on their Berrys or Iphones or just chatting away. For the last few days now, I've noticed people whining about how they will not get a much needed day off from Remembrance Day (oh boo hoo, the purpose of Remembrance Day was not to meet your selfish needs anyways). And now, there are people who must first questioned the wrongs of the World Wars and conflicts before making a decision on whether it is justify to remember our veterans. SHAME SHAME AND SHAME. Someone here earlier suggested that it should be the law to wear a poppy on Remembrance Day or the period of days leading up to it. It is extreme measure, but if it is required and allows people to ask why we are being forced to wear a poppy and then given the sentimental meaning of Remembrance Day, I' am all up for it. I really do encourage those who have not met a World War 2 veteran to do so, their stories will touch you in which the way you value your well being of living in a Canadian society we have today would be influenced to a realization that it should not be taken for granted.

I'm sad that alot of youth don't seem to understand the importance of this day.

When I was a kid we were taught to memorize flanders fields, and each class made a wreath that we would give to the vets that would come to our ceremony. I buy a poppy every year but I notice in larger areas like dowtown its not as prevalent, there were tons of people wearing them in ladner and tsawwassen today but i think thats because the population out here is older and they take that extra bit of time to remember and show respect.