The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

Ypres

The lone tombstone in the first post was at the Essex Farm cemetery, right next to the bunkers where McCrae wrote his poem.

Europe211.jpg

Each of those bunkers shown in the first post open into a tiny little cave that looked like this:

Europe239.jpg

Some more photos of the Menin Gate - you should be able to get an idea of the size of the monument from these (those are 3 storey buildings in the first image)

Europe219.jpg

If you look really carefully in this image, you can see a city worker in yellow and black picking up trash (right where the embankment meets the Menin Gate).

Europe227.jpg

The lines you see on the walls in this image are inscriptions of soldiers' names. What is shown here is only the top portion of the Menin Gate; there's another storey or two dug out of the embankment I was standing on when I took this.

Europe224.jpg

More inscriptions on the stairs on just one side of the monument:

Europe222-1.jpg

Somewhere on one of the staircases (one on each side of the gate) was a section of wall dedicated to the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

And in addition to what's listed on the sign next to the monument,

Europe230.jpg

Soldiers who died in similar circumstances after Aug 15, 1917 are on the Memorial Wall at Tyne Cot Cemetery - that wall contains another 35,000 names of fallen Commonwealth soldiers.

• Upvote 1

this picture is just stunning.

amazing to see how even the most brutal war grounds can turn peaceful

rip

Indeed. This was also the scene of much fighting (Menin Gate is off to the right of this photo):

Europe214.jpg

This wall has stood (if I remember correctly) since the 1100's or 1300's. At one point along the wall (beyond the cylindrical structures) it curves back into itself and there's a tunnel that goes down to the water for boats.

Edited by Starbug
  • Upvote 1

Completely disagree with that law angle.

I don't feel I should have to display my respect. I'm of the attitude where I can display my appreciation my own way, in my own thoughts. I don't agree with the 'honour our veterans in a matter we tell you because we say so' attitude that such a law would enforce.

For example, I was on the Chilliwack Bruins forum the other day. I said I didn't like how the shoulder patch for the Nov. 11th game looked on a white jersey. I got told basically that I should love it because it signifies Rememberance Day. Sorry, where's the logic in that? Isn't that kind of going AGAINST the freedom that these soldiers put their lives on the line for? If I don't think something looks aesthetically pleasing, no matter what it signifies, I shouldn't have to pretend to think it's beautiful.

Some people take this day too seriously and think that if someone's not done to the tits in terms of showing respect and support, that they're not worthy of being Canadian.

For the record, I'm not trashing Rememberance Day, nor am I not trashing the soldiers and the cause they risked their lives for. I just don't agree with the expectations that is put on me to follow these procedures, show off that I respect them, etc. I just feel that, in Canada, a free nation, I should be able to thank the soldiers myself, in whatever manner I feel without having to put up with other peoples' b/s that I should follow such protocol like wearing a poppy or having to like a certain shoulder patch.

I will be paying my respects to those who have served, who are served, who will be serving for our country - and that's MY choice. I just don't think it should be enforced on a person

[/rant]

You make a good point there...express your respect and thanks any which way you want.

But if you are going to wear a poppy, please wear it on the LEFT side, over your heart. Common sense.

• Upvote 1

You make a good point there...express your respect and thanks any which way you want.

But if you are going to wear a poppy, please wear it on the LEFT side, over your heart. Common sense.

I wear one (left side), and I work at a gas station that has a donation box with some poppies. I've had a few people take them then proceed to put it on their right side. I thought it was common sense, guess not.

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae sat at these very bunkers when he penned what is among the best-known poems out there:

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

I went to school with his great grandson, and I know his parents quite well (John McCraes grandchildren, that is).

I wear one (left side), and I work at a gas station that has a donation box with some poppies. I've had a few people take them then proceed to put it on their right side. I thought it was common sense, guess not.

Doesn't surprise me...some people just don't get it.

I volunteered to go to a ceremony at Michael A. Kostek Elementary today here in Edmonton as a special guest.

It was a moving ceremony, different grades sang songs and did other stuff, I was the only military member there, so i was a little on the spot.

Having lost a couple buddies in Afghanistan and in training, Remembrance Day is such a great time. Being able to do a little bit of drill and put a wreath near a cross and salute infront of a whole school made me love my job and made the long days out in the field worth it...Love how much people care!

• Upvote 2

My Great-Grandfather lived through The Battle of Paschendale. He was gassed but lived through it and fought on. At the end of the war he returned home.

But after a few years the effect of the gas started to show. He couldn't work on his farm anymore. So the Canadian Government retrained him to work as a butcher. However he died at a young age (his 40's IIRC...god I wish my dad was still alive, he knew all this family history). All because of the effects of the gas.

In WWII, his nephew signed up to go fight and was killed on Juno Beach.

Lest We Forget. Tomorrow morning I am waking up early to go pick up our drums and am playing at Richmond City Hall. Oh Canada, God Save the Queen and the Maple Leaf Forever. All 3 send shivers down me.

In days of yore, from Britain's shore

Wolfe, the dauntless hero, came

And planted firm Britania's flag

On Canada's fair domain.

There may it wave, our boast and pride

And join in love together

The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine

The maple leaf forever.

Chorus

The maple leaf, our emblem dear

The maple leaf forever

God save our King and heaven bless

The maple leaf forever.

At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane

Our brave fathers side by side

For freedom, homes and loved ones dear

Firmly stood and nobly died

And those dear rights which they maintained

We swear to yield them never

Our watchword ever more shall be

The maple leaf forever.

Our fair Dominion now extends

From Cape Race to Nootka Sound

May peace forever be our lot

And plenteous store abound.

And may those ties of love be ours

Which discord cannot sever

And flourish green o'er freedom's home

The maple leaf forever.

RIP for those who laid their lives down for us. As well as our troops who were trying to keep the peace in a far off land.

And to those who are overseas now...God speed and a safe return home to your family and loved ones!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3