Mr.Noodles

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,989 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

Rejoice, fans of George R.R. Martin:

HBO has given the production order.

They will be filming the pilot episode of A GAME OF THRONES.

It's just the pilot so far. They'll need to see that before they decide whether to proceed with a full season's episodes. So let's all hope the pilot will kick serious donkey.

It should. David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series.

More details when I have 'em. The news is very fresh. HBO just issued their own press release, which should be up on their website soon, if it's not there already.

Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/58155.html

I really hope it gets picked up for a series. It's definitely very high up on my list of favourite books. Is anyone else excited?

#2 mrgreer

mrgreer

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

Rejoice, fans of George R.R. Martin:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/58155.html

I really hope it gets picked up for a series. It's definitely very high up on my list of favourite books. Is anyone else excited?

awesome. brilliant books. I've lent them to piles of people (most of them who doubt they'll enjoy them) and everyone gets hooked.
Posted Image

#3 ModoExpress

ModoExpress

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,872 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

Oh man

wicked donkey series
QUOTE (EdHardy @ Jul 23 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Samuelsson> Sundin

#4 Mr.Noodles

Mr.Noodles

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,989 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

Bumpity bump.

Sean Bean cast as Lord Eddard Stark

This looks promising!

Previously cast was Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

Edited by Mr.Noodles, 20 July 2009 - 06:28 PM.

#5 Femme.Canuck

Femme.Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

This thread needs a major bump-- the series premiere of Game Of Thrones is set to air on April 17 on HBO! I'm SOO beyond excited for this series!!!!! I've been a fan of the series a Song of Ice & Fire for a while and I think this show will be amazing! Heres a 15 minute sneak preview!

On a side note, George RR Martin said in an interview that he is terrified of "pulling a LOST" by ending Game of Thrones craptily. Suffice to say, Damon Lindelof didn't take that too well-- you should check out his twitter rants. Pretty funny.

One City. One Team. One Dream.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

#6 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Even better: A Dance with Dragons is due out in July. :)

I've got the "making of" special set up on PVR already, but the HBO listings haven't yet gone as far as the 17th. I'll probably check daily until I can set up the series recording for it.

I'm in the midst of re-reading the series now, as I haven't read it since my university days. I'd forgotten much of what happens, including most of the 4th book (which I'm now on).

#7 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

I am SO SO SO STOKED for both this series and the next book. So many good things this summer. I love the casting and the first 15 minute preview was really awesome (although Waymer was supposed to die somewhat valiantly), that wall just looks EPIC.

I'm not sure if I will be able to watch a certain, devastating event that occurs in the 3rd book. You all know what I'm talking about. I barely could handle it in the book and got so mad I threw my copy across the room and didn't pick it up for a week or more. No book has ever affected me like that before.

Also, Jon and Dany are totally going to make Targaryen babies.
Posted Image

#8 LeafsBlowPouch

LeafsBlowPouch

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

Looks freakin' epic! Can't wait for this and the new book. HBO rocks.
Posted Image
Props to mr7 for the sig!
Thanks Marleau_12 for the avatar

#9 AL Nite Long

AL Nite Long

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

Looking forward to this!

Also really enjoying "The Killing" on AMC Sundays
Posted Image

#10 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

I'm apprehensive honestly as I'm not sure how the story will transfer to film. After all it is fairly epic and jumps back and forth between different characters story lines.

Edited by JamesTW, 05 April 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#11 JoGuitar

JoGuitar

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:32 PM

I am soooo happy that A Dance with Dragons is finally coming :) The wait has been waaaayyy too long.
Posted Image

#12 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

I'm apprehensive honestly as I'm not sure how the story will transfer to film. After all it is fairly epic and jumps back and forth between different characters story lines.

I'm glad they're doing it as a TV miniseries rather than trying to make a movie out of it. The miniseries format gives them much more time to explore different story lines and characters.

#13 LeafsBlowPouch

LeafsBlowPouch

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'm glad they're doing it as a TV miniseries rather than trying to make a movie out of it. The miniseries format gives them much more time to explore different story lines and characters.

Agreed. With a full season to cover each book they should have the time to develope the characters (maybe not as well as George's books do) but a lot more than if they were to do this in movie form.

That first 15 minutes looks promising and that wall does look amazing.
Posted Image
Props to mr7 for the sig!
Thanks Marleau_12 for the avatar

#14 Femme.Canuck

Femme.Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:43 PM

Agreed.

#15 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

Even better: A Dance with Dragons is due out in July. :)

I've got the "making of" special set up on PVR already, but the HBO listings haven't yet gone as far as the 17th. I'll probably check daily until I can set up the series recording for it.

I'm in the midst of re-reading the series now, as I haven't read it since my university days. I'd forgotten much of what happens, including most of the 4th book (which I'm now on).

Thanks for that Starbug. :) I've been waiting forever for that frikken book! Can't wait for it and the mini-series, which HBO has been previewing (read: teasing me with) for a couple of months now.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#16 Femme.Canuck

Femme.Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Tonight is the series premiere, people! Set the PVRs- HBO at 8PM.

For those of you who haven't read the books or want to refresh your brain, heres a cool, interactive viewers guide to the series!

http://viewers-guide...s/?cmpid=ABC587

#17 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

so excited, too bad canucks take priority. I watched the 15 min sneak peek and it was awesome
Posted Image

#18 Femme.Canuck

Femme.Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

so excited, too bad canucks take priority. I watched the 15 min sneak peek and it was awesome

Oh definitely-- missing the game is not even an option.
Thank god for the brilliant invention that is the PVR, eh? :)

#19 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

Oh definitely-- missing the game is not even an option.
Thank god for the brilliant invention that is the PVR, eh? :)

I love the person who invented the PVR.
Posted Image

#20 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

Meant to post in this thread earlier.

LOVE the book series and am very excited for the new book in the summer. Not sure about the tv series though, there are some pretty rough moments in the book that are very important and I worry about the mini-series not doing them justice.

#21 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

Been at least a year or two since I finished the last, but shaggydog is my favourite :)

#22 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

I really REALLY liked it. The casting is superb.

My only issue is with the Drogo/Dany sex scene. In the book he was very gentle with her and it was her choice to go ahead or else he would not have. That was a defining moment for Drogo because it showed that he was more than just a blood thirsty ravenous barbarian. It set up the possibility that she could love him. In the show he basically raped her. I dunno, not a big deal but kind of a big deal to me.

Also I really don't want an event that is going to happen at the end of the 1st book to happen, or the event that happens in the 3rd book to happen. I LOVE those characters and the casting so much.
Posted Image

#23 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

Wincest? :D

Daenerys is hot as hell, the trailers/shorts dont really do her justice.

Also did they drop Rickon? I mean he's not important or anything but I didn't see him.

Also we should set some spoiler rules for this thread

Posted Image

#24 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

Wincest? :D

Daenerys is hot as hell, the trailers/shorts dont really do her justice.

Also did they drop Rickon? I mean he's not important or anything but I didn't see him.

Also we should set some spoiler rules for this thread

Rickon is in there, he is in the part where Bran is shooting the bow and when the king arrives and all the stark children line up when the king arrives.

Dany is SO gorgeous.
Posted Image

#25 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

Finally watched it and I'm very excited about upcoming episodes.
Daenerys is BEAUTIFUL but I'm most anxious to see how they portray Barristan Selmy.

#26 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

I think they did a great job so far, with the one exception being Ronon... I mean Drogo's marriage consummation. Had all the lines... and then just veers off course randomly. All the same, I'm excited to see the next ep.

And maybe at some point in he can go ahead and publish the next book...
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#27 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,141 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

You guys just stopped talking about it...

We're three episodes in and I am still lovin' it.

Daenerys gets more beautiful by the episode and I am eagerly awaiting Viserys' 'crown'.
I wondered if they were going to make me hate the Joffrey character and yes, they have and I was happy to see Tywin finally arrive in that last episode.

#28 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:05 AM

I think they did a great job so far, with the one exception being Ronon... I mean Drogo's marriage consummation. Had all the lines... and then just veers off course randomly. All the same, I'm excited to see the next ep.

And maybe at some point in he can go ahead and publish the next book...

The next book is confirmed for july release finally.
Posted Image

#29 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

You guys just stopped talking about it...

We're three episodes in and I am still lovin' it.

Daenerys gets more beautiful by the episode and I am eagerly awaiting Viserys' 'crown'.
I wondered if they were going to make me hate the Joffrey character and yes, they have and I was happy to see Tywin finally arrive in that last episode.

Where was Tywin? I don't recall seeing him... :unsure:

They've been pretty true to the book so far. The third episode had a few conversations that didn't happen in the book (Cersei and Joffrey, Robert, Barriston and Jaime), but needed to be done to fill in viewers who didn't know the back story. Now that most of the key characters (for now) have been introduced, I wouldn't mind them starting to do some episodes that focus on just one or two locales (say, all in King's Landing, or split between the Wall and across the Narrow Sea) to keep the stories from jumping around so much. It might be helpful to viewers who haven't read the book.

I love the casting for the series; the casting is pretty much spot-on for everyone, Tyrion and Arya especially. The only one who bugs me at the moment is Robb Stark - he just seems a little wooden. Hopefully that changes when he's forced to grow up.

And I saw posted elsewhere that book 2/season 2 already has the green light. Viewership in North America isn't as high as it could be, but they're making a lot of money selling the show in other countries.

#30 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,141 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Where was Tywin? I don't recall seeing him... :unsure:

I just watched it again and realized that was B the Bold in there with the King when I thought it was Tywin. Aww...
"Jaime Lannister, son of the mighty Tywin, forced to mind the door while your king eats and drinks and craps and fracks"

I had assumed that them both wearing the same armour meant it was their family colours, not that of the Kings Guard. It makes sense now. I will say though, that now, knowing that it was Barristan and not Tywin that Jaime was showing so much respect to in that scene, gives me a lot of hope for Jaime's character. (It's been years since I read the books).

Edit: I am also very curious to see how they continue the Arya storyline and where it goes.

Edited by :D, 06 May 2011 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.