The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

I'm very stoked for season 2, I rather enjoyed this show. Decided to avoid the books so as to avoid spoilers.

I wish there was about half the drama in it though, they have a pretty intriguing story as it is, I would prefer they focus on that, rather than making it medieval-themed 90210, the fight/violence scenes are quite good, but there could be more of them. I guess the sex scenes are alright, I like naked women, but I didn't watch it to have a wank, so they don't need to be so often.

My favourite naughty scene was at the end when the Queen got with her own cousin Lancel!

Oh and the ones with the half man, something about dwarfs doing that makes me laugh and gets me excited for some strange reason.

Why does Cersei Lannister hate Ned so much ? She got really mad at him during that scene, with the iron throne ... where Petyr does you know what...

Can someone explain to me why she hates him ?

- Friend of Robert's

- has history with Jaime

- direct threat to her, her children and her plans.

Could say quite a bit more, but might give away subtle spoilers. I highly recommend the books if you are hungry for more in depth story info. I read them all since the show came out, and it hasn't diminished my excitement for the show.

• 3 weeks later...

The wife and i just watched all of the first season over the course of 2 days and we wanted more. Great story and action, though the copious amounts of fanservice at the beginning nearly turned us off, I was glad that it was toned down to only necessary points in the story (though i still need to close the front window when watching, seeing as our tv makes it a theatre to the outside when open :emot-parrot: ).

• 1 month later...

Guess I'm alone in thinking that the season opener was a little weak. There were some good parts. In particular, I didn't like the exchange between Cercei and Littlefinger. I felt that tipping his hand the way he did with an open threat was foolish and completely out of character. Likewise, the confrontation between Elisandre and the maester could have gone better without taking up much more screen time. And the

baby killing was a bit much. pure shock value.

But of course there were a lot of really good scenes as well.

Guess I'm alone in thinking that the season opener was a little weak. There were some good parts. In particular, I didn't like the exchange between Cercei and Littlefinger. I felt that tipping his hand the way he did with an open threat was foolish and completely out of character. Likewise, the confrontation between Elisandre and the maester could have gone better without taking up much more screen time. And the

baby killing was a bit much. pure shock value.

But of course there were a lot of really good scenes as well.

You're aware that this is based on a book right?

It's not like they're just making stuff up as they go, like Lost or any other show for that matter.

There are some small but significant differences fromt he book (ie littelfinger/cersei), but at the end of the day the TV show is bound to be a little different, and it can't be judged based on the book because TV is a different medium. Big picture they are getting things right.

Guess I'm alone in thinking that the season opener was a little weak.

Not really. I thought it was a little slow. It'll probably pick up soon as right now it seems like they're still just setting things up and introducing new characters.

You're aware that this is based on a book right?

It's not like they're just making stuff up as they go, like Lost or any other show for that matter.

They made up a lot of those scenes, actually. Some of them were similar to the books, like Melisandre vs the old maester. Others are fabricated entirely in order condense a lot of back story into a short scene, a practice that allows them to fit each book into a roughly 10 hour season. Some scenes were done masterfully, others appeared to break character to illustrate a point.

• 4 weeks later...